Thread: Make it Better!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Make it Better!

Hey guy's, I currently ride a 1996 Klein Attitude. I like the bike and it will take me were ever I want to go.The bike was great back in the day with the technology that was available. With that said I would like to make it a little bit more modern. Meaning there is a lot of great new technology out there and I would love to take advantage of it. Mostly wider handle bar's for stability and I wouldn't mind a better front suspension. A V brake would be nice because I do not think you can add disc to this year.
    Does any one out there know if these modifications are possible? I would like to hear some input. Be honest, if you think I should just break down and buy a new bike I would like to know. I would rather not but if the cost is about the same its probably the better bet. Any thoughts?

Tim

mtbr member
    While modding a bike is fun, it is far from cost effective. At the end of the day the amount you may spend on a new fork, upgraded brakes, potentially upgraded wheelset to go with the new fork and new brakes, you could probably get a complete new bike for the same amount plus you would then also have new everything.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with searching around for a deal on stuff - plus you can have the pleasure / experience of wrenching on the bike yourself. Keep an eye out for a good fork that is in the similar travel range (going too much more would make handling potentially undesireable)

If I was told to go for it as a project bike and spending some money wasnt an issue I would replace the fork with something that is disc brake compatible.

Get a nice reliable hydraulic disc system for the front (Maybe Shimano SLX). For the rear brake as I do not believe that frame has disc tabs I would get a Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brake so the "feel" would match up nicely with the front.

Would need a new wheel for the front (disc compatible).

But like I said, spending on all that you would be ahead spending that money on a whole new bike.

But it would be a fun project!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I knew it would cost a lot of money, but I like the look of the Klein. It is tempting to go buy a new bike. I know once I start shopping I would be sucked into the full suspension crowd. And there is nothing wrong with full suspension, but I wouldn't be able to settle for an affordable one, and I don't have money for an expensive bike..

mtbr member
    Think if money's an issue that buying a used bike is the way to go. Either by one to ride or buy one to swap all the parts over to your Klein but either way you'd save big. Just the price of a new decent fork could equal a decent used ride.
    BTW your rims would be fine but you'd need new levers if you switch to linear pull, and that bikes geo will be screwed if you go with more than 60mm, maybe get away with 80mm tops travel on the fork.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

Yeah, if you're going to make changes on a bike that's old enough to be out of date on a number of technologies, your best bet is to forget about modernizing it and find a way to make improvements with equivalent tech.

The fork geometry issue is going to be an issue. theMeat is right that if you go too long, it will screw up the bike's geometry and it won't feel the same anymore. Consider a rigid fork, possibly a carbon one. Relatively inexpensive ones can be found on ebay. It will be easier finding a rigid fork with an axle-crown length comparable to your current fork than finding a suspension fork that's not too long. In a lot of cases, 100mm is considered short travel these days.

While I'm a big fan of hydro discs, I think for this build, I'd go with a BB7 and try to find a set of quality vees for the rear end so you could match the levers and keep a similar lever feel, rather than going the other way with hydro discs and HS33's.

I would also get a new wheelset...either a UST one or a tubeless-ready one. Doing this with the new rigid fork would give you plenty of clearance for a big tire you could run at low pressure and would probably give you at least as much suspension as your 60mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by martkin64 View Post
    Hey guy's, I currently ride a 1996 Klein Attitude. I like the bike and it will take me were ever I want to go.The bike was great back in the day with the technology that was available. With that said I would like to make it a little bit more modern. Meaning there is a lot of great new technology out there and I would love to take advantage of it. Mostly wider handle bar's for stability and I wouldn't mind a better front suspension. A V brake would be nice because I do not think you can add disc to this year.
    Does any one out there know if these modifications are possible? I would like to hear some input. Be honest, if you think I should just break down and buy a new bike I would like to know. I would rather not but if the cost is about the same its probably the better bet. Any thoughts?

Tim
    If it has a 11/8 Steerer tube then you could buy a new fork with disk tabs....you could go hydro on the front and cantis on the back....

It will be heavy but will work fine...

Personally I would go with a new fork similar to the old fork and stay with the same brakes.

I would upgrade the tires...and maybe a better front is all you need.

I have a 1990 Norco Bush Pilot....I would have upgraded the forks but it is a 1 inch steerer tube...

I think staying close to stock is the better way to upgrade an old bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    If it has a 11/8 Steerer tube then you could buy a new fork with disk tabs....you could go hydro on the front and cantis on the back....

It will be heavy but will work fine...

Personally I would go with a new fork similar to the old fork and stay with the same brakes.

I would upgrade the tires...and maybe a better front is all you need.

I have a 1990 Norco Bush Pilot....I would have upgraded the forks but it is a 1 inch steerer tube...

I think staying close to stock is the better way to upgrade an old bike.
    I think you are right, staying close to stock is the way to go. On the other side of things technology has come so far ( for the better) in most cases. I do want better, but this bike is so nice. I wish there was a happy medium..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    More often then not, when I'm out on a ride people stop to check out my Klein. At first I thought people were joking because I still ride a 1996 bike. But I have even had people ask to ride it. One guy asked to ride out on the trail, he offered for me to ride his Yeti SB66, so I did. That's were the whole new bike idea came into my head. That bike was so nice, and what a difference!
    My Klein was so nice in the 90's, but technology has come so far.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You should probably leave the Klein alone and save up for another bike. But if you wanted to upgrade it, I'd look for a good used 80mm fork and run an Avid BB7 disc brake up front (mullet style). You'd need a new front hub or complete wheel to run the front disc.

T.W.O.
    Got pic?

96 Attitude is a very nice bike as is. I have the Adroit of similar era, it comes with its tapered headtube so you may need to find the right fit. If you are looking for a modern ride you can also sell the Klein for a good price and buy another. I'd say keep it though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Got pic?

96 Attitude is a very nice bike as is. I have the Adroit of similar era, it comes with its tapered headtube so you may need to find the right fit. If you are looking for a modern ride you can also sell the Klein for a good price and buy another. I'd say keep it though.
    Here is a couple of pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make it Better!-bike1.jpg  

Make it Better!-bike2.jpg  

T.W.O.
    Nice bike. You can do either type of brakes. You can get a disc adapter from A2Z here are some example another is the Brake therapy, of course you'd need the disc hubs. For the front fork you can just upgrade to 1.1/8" steerer XC fork 80-100mm you should be all set, find some decent used one many people upgrade to longer travel you can pick one up for a good deal.

Or you can just go fully rigid on that bike, it's fun.

mtbr member

Size?

Is it just me or does that frame look too small for him?

To the OP: What size frame is that? How tall are you? Have you ever been "fitted" to that bike? I would hate to see you spend any money on a bike that does not fit you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Is it just me or does that frame look too small for him?

To the OP: What size frame is that? How tall are you? Have you ever been "fitted" to that bike? I would hate to see you spend any money on a bike that does not fit you.

The picture looks funny because there is rocks in front of me..lol I am 5' 9" and it is an 18" frame.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Nice bike. Personally, I'd rather get a new bike than dump a ton of money into an older bike. But if you love the bike, make some upgrades!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Got pic?

I here that I could get a good price for this bike a lot! But what is a good price for this bike?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by martkin64 View Post
    I here that I could get a good price for this bike a lot! But what is a good price for this bike?
    klein attitude in Mountain Bikes | eBay

The higher price usually determined by size, paint job, fork, and condition.

Size is one of the most important, small is diffinitely in high demand with Asian customers which is Klein's major customer before they closed down.

Paint job, some of Klein's premium paint job cost as much as the frame, they are hand painted, like night storm, angle food cake.

Fork, I saw a Kline rigid fork that went for as much as 2k on ebay.

Front Range, Colorado
    First off let me say that is a fine example of a vintage,classic Klein. I would not reccomend putting any money out in upgrading to new specs. As others have said it is not worth it. By the time you get it to where you like it you could have bought a newer used bike. Believe it or not there is a huge collector market for old vintage mountain bikes. And Klein's are one of the ones that is highly sought after. And the more original the more the collectors are willing to pay. So by adding newer parts to it you are diminishing it's value in the collector world. My personal reccomendation would be to advertise it in a vintage, classic arena. Sell it at it's best original value and put the money towards a 4-5 year old high end used bike. You can start the process by going to this link and asking around of where to advertise it. Once you do that most likely you won't even need to advertise it. That board is full of collectors that will be fighting for it.
    Go here to start. Vintage, Retro, Classic - Mtbr Forums
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A