mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Low Rise vs High Rise Handlebars...Help!

Considering purchasing new bars. Have used a low rise in the past. I am status post bilateral wrist fractures 2 years ago. Does any one know how much higer a high rise is versus a low rise bar? Would one height be more apt to reduce pressure on the wrists than another? Thank you in advance for your help. Scott

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The amount of rise is going to depend on the manufacturer.

As for wrist pressures, it's got nothing to do with the bar's rise, and everything to do with your cockpit setup and where the handlebar positions your grips in relation to your saddle.

You can achieve exactly the same cockpit with a riser bar and low stem as you can with a flat bar and riser stem (assuming the flat bar has similar width and sweep).

Additionally, two otherwise identical frames, but with different length head tubes, can have a similar effect on relative bar height.

But getting back to your original question, look at the numbers, figure out where your grips are going to end up compared to what you have now, and (the hardest part) figure out what position you're trying to achieve.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Space for rent...
    Have you considered either the Mary or Jones bars? Both offer an alternate hand postion, and may put less stress on the hands/wrists.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question...

I just bought a new Trek X-Caliber and my LBS was nice enough to throw a Bonteager Carbon Triple XXX lite bar on it. Here's the catch, they are 600mm. The bike comes stock with 620mm bars, which I've read all over to be too short, and they should be replaced. Sooo, I'm thinking about buying a new set of bars.

I took it for a ride tonight and find the bars to not only be short, but low (the carbon bars on it are straight - flat).

Any suggestions on bars? I've read about these Easton bars... EA70 Monkey bars ( avail in low and high rise)

But have no idea how much of a rise I need?

Suggestions?

Thx

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question...Any suggestions on bars? I've read about these Easton bars... EA70 Monkey bars ( avail in low and high rise)

But have no idea how much of a rise I need?

Suggestions?

Thx
    Hi Mr. quikcolin,

I'm currently loving this bar and just purchased another one this evening for my freeride bike:

Spank 777mm EVO Spike Bar 50mm rise in Black - $58 online

Spank 777mm Spike Mountain Handlebars feature and Extreme Gradual Taper from 3.0 wall thickness at the clamp area to 1.6 at ends with no sharp steps along the way. Impact Ends means greater wall thickness at the tips to prevent impact damage. 4 degree upsweep/8 degree backsweep - Minimum cut-down width is 747mm Item Specifications: Weight - 300grams, Bar Rise - 50mm, Bar Clamp Diameter - 31.8mm, Material - Alloy, Bend - 8/4deg

I love the 50mm / 2 inch rise (most manufacturers call this a High Rise but check to be sure) to facilitate lofting the front of the bike for manuals, wheelies, drops, etc.

Good luck in your search!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my old bike had easton monkeylite carbon 40 mm rise and 680 width. They discontinued that but the new version is ec 70 xc in hi rise with the same dimensions, not cheap 130$ at pricepoint but the carbon does give a smooth ride. Beyond that you might have to use a stem with higher degree rise, i know i did to get the right ergonomics for my long limbs. Bontager makes some with a 17degree rise with varrying lengths that dont cost too much. And finally the dropper seatposts make a world of difference for going up and decending

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. I really apprecaite your input! I guess determining rise height is really a personal preference... looks like lows are 20mm, mids are 30mm and highs at 40mm.

Thanks again guys!!