mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Lost front traction

Hi all,
    Im a new MTB rider with really limited suspension experience.
    I have Lg Gravity 29.1
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    Sometime ago I replaced front fork for Reba RLT dual air. During my first ride I noticed much less traction with front tire ([WTB PROWLER SL RACE, 29x2.1). I had no problem with front traction with old crappy fork, but with fully open Reba front traction dramatically declined. I can minimize the problem if I close the lockout (flodgate 4 clicks from open) and lowering the front tire pressure even more. But with open lockout front traction is really bad.
    I'm 6'4'' 210lb with gear and Reba has 135psi in + chamber and 140 in -, rebound is 4 clicks from rabbit. Front tire has around 28psi with tube.
    I cant really explain it, good suspension should increase traction and I want to ride my fork with open lockout. Is it normal behavior for a front fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did it raise the front end?
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    No, both forks are 100mm and have almost identical height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are probably going a lot faster.
    That's a joke. Although you probably will be able to go much faster.
    How much of the travel are you using?
    It sounds like you have too much air pressure in it and I would start dropping both positive and negative to see the effect. 5psi at a time.
    You can also run a much larger volume tire on the front. A Nobby Nic Perf. 2.25 at 22-25psi is 37 at ebikestop. A good grippy all-arounder. 600g and directional. I like to run it backwards.
    I would run your current tire at 25 or less until you start to get rim hits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I actually used most of the travel. My technique improved (that's what I would like to think) and last couple of rides I did not use more than 75-80mm, so next time Im dropping some pressure in the fork. I am going faster for sure, but with my old fork rear tire was sliding first and with new fork front tire starts to slide first and its kinda scares me with clipless pedals and poison oak around the trails. I was actually thinking about bigger and better front tire so really appreciate the suggestion.

mtbr member
    I weigh in around 205lbs and only keep my fork set to around 75-80psi. try letting off on the PSI a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    I actually used most of the travel. My technique improved (that's what I would like to think) and last couple of rides I did not use more than 75-80mm, so next time Im dropping some pressure in the fork. I am going faster for sure, but with my old fork rear tire was sliding first and with new fork front tire starts to slide first and its kinda scares me with clipless pedals and poison oak around the trails. I was actually thinking about bigger and better front tire so really appreciate the suggestion.
    Your other fork was probably under sprung for your weight for sure and this would put more weight on your front tire when you rode. It suggests you can get more out of your existing tire by riding with more of your weight a little more forward. It's a balance thing. If you can ride and reride a set turn to develop a feel for this keep going until you can get the rear to break loose first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    is it losing traction on the descents, climbs or in flats/normal riding? i would agree it's a balance thing. when I switched to Reba, it was extremely light compared to my crappy fork that my front end lifts up easily on climbs. i had to relearn where my balance is on climbs. i'm pretty sure it also applies to descents.

B.Ike
    Not sure how heavy you are, but at 230, I found the recommended psi way too stiff when new. The seals need some ride time to fully break in. I've only got about 10 hours on mine, but I've increased psi twice now and I'm still under the recommendation on the fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    is it losing traction on the descents, climbs or in flats/normal riding? i would agree it's a balance thing. when I switched to Reba, it was extremely light compared to my crappy fork that my front end lifts up easily on climbs. i had to relearn where my balance is on climbs. i'm pretty sure it also applies to descents.
    I would say its mostly fast riding on flats. Different technique during climbs is to be expected because, as you mentioned, Reba is so much lighter. I'll try loading my front end more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    Not sure how heavy you are, but at 230, I found the recommended psi way too stiff when new. The seals need some ride time to fully break in. I've only got about 10 hours on mine, but I've increased psi twice now and I'm still under the recommendation on the fork.
    210-215lb with gear. The fork is not new and looks like completely broken in. It looked almost new when I got it, but I changed the oil just in case (oil inside was clean, but I needed to take the spacer off anyway). I have 25% sag with 135psi in pos.