bay area CA

looking for rigid fork suggestions in 2013

hi all, so im finally going to purchase a new hardtail to replace my old but trusty 04 GT avalanche which has been pulling double duty as my trail bike and daily commuter.

once i get my new hardtail, my plans are to streamline my GT into more of a commuter that can occasionally hit the trail if i ever want a friend without a rig to come with me on a ride.

my plans are to run a smaller diameter tire (go from 2.00" to 1.50") that are not as knobby as my current treads, get a shorter stem, and to slap a rigid fork on it. nothing too fancy, but something that will do well on my daily 10 mile commute and can still hit the trail occasionally on the weekend.

ive done some searches on the forum, and i found a few threads that were a bit out of date. anyone know of any new rigid forks that are out that my fit my needs? my budget is between 100-200 bucks, and my preference is steel. ive seen the surly 1 x 1's and they look like they might do the trick. any other opinions or info would be really appreciated.

Air Pirate
    I looked at the 1x1 and also thought it would be sufficient when I built up my full-rigid commuting/adventure/spare bike, but I went with the Surly Instigator instead. The forks are pretty close, but the Instigator is the beefier of the two forks. Surly made it for the dirt jump Instigator frame and also claims it is fine to use on tandems. Since I was going to do all sorts of crap with that bike build I wanted a fork that would more than likely outlive the frame.

The fork is suspension corrected to replace 100 mm travel suspension forks. The ride of the thing is firm but not too firm owing to the 4130, steers just fine and accepts quite the pounding. I have ridden this thing on the bike for over a year now in all conditions and on all trails. I have no complaints at all.

The average price I have seen it for online is around $100. Currently Upgrade Cycle is offering it for $78.93.

I have purchased other parts from them, they are legit.
    looking for rigid fork suggestions in 2013-2012-08-31%25u00252b10.37.18.jpg

At Annadel State Park, Northern California.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I went with the 1x1 on my GT rebuild. I got it on Amazon for around $80.00 + shipping. The GT is now my commuter bike. I also upgraded to a front BB-7 disk brake:

looking for rigid fork suggestions in 2013-img_20130402_172259_741.jpg

bay area CA
    thank you guys for the great info. i was pretty confident about going surly, and after hearing your experiences, im pretty sure ill be making my choice between the 1x1 and the instigator tonight.

btw, since the both of you had retrofitted your bikes as commuter/do it all type rides like im attempting, have you tried running thinner tires? im currently running my regular trail size treads at 2.00" and want to go to 1.50". if you have run thinner tires, did you find that there was a big improvement in rolling resistance with the thinner tire?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I went with fatter 2.3" Big Apple tires, To tell you the truth, I really don't notice a huge difference when I switch tires on my commuter bike. It may have something to do with the 19 pound backpack I have to haul.....