mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Looking for good seat and forks

Im just getting into mountain bike riding,

I am a pretty aggressive rider and come from mx and off road dirt bike racing background but know very little about mtb parts and want a nice seat and possibly some nice forks for my GT hardtail.

I am riding Florida trails so i get a lot of sit down time and only some small climbs.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Welcome..

Saddles are personal and everyone is different. First and foremost, get the proper width based on your sit bone width, search it google it...

Many shops will let you demo a saddle as well.

This is my saddle of choice (Selle SMP Avant), lots of good info on saddle fit on their website: Selle Smp - Sito ufficiale

Looking for good  seat and forks-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which fork do you have and which model bike. If it's a Suntour and a new bike or you have the receipt you can get an upgrade deal from Nick at Suntour. Thread in Beginners.
    Recon Gold air is $240 from Random Bike Parts for 29.

mtbr member
    As RipRoar pointed out, you will get varying opinions concerning saddles. All will be valid. A saddle that works for one individual may not work for a another. Personally, my saddle of choice is the WTB Rocket series. I've tried lots of saddles and these fit me like a glove. A close second would be any of the Specialized Body Geometry line. I've got one on my road bike that I've been using for years.

As far as your fork goes, just be aware of what you're looking for in terms of travel. For instance, you wouldn't want to stick a 140mm fork on a frame that's designed around 80-100 travel. Once you've determined what you need, I'd take a look on ebay. Again, just know what you need before you purchase: travel, steering tube length, steering tube type (I'm assuming it's not a tapered tube).

Good luck and welcome to the sport. I come from a moto background, as well. In fact, I've all but dumped throttle-twisting in lieu of mountain biking. It's a lot easier on my 50-year-old body than motocross.