Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Looking for a Bike Computer.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive computer for xc riding. I would like it to have a cumulative odometer, trip odometer, moving time, max speed, current speed, average speed, and pace. I it doesn't have to have all of the characteristics that's ok, but the more the better. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Do you own a smartphone? If yes, download strava (free) or a similar program to log your rides and provide all of the above and more information. If you also want to see your current speed and distance (the phone would be tucked away somewhere) then buy the cheapest computer do give you just that information on the fly. Use both the phone and the computer simultaneously.

If you don't own a smartphone or don't want to use it to log your rides then I'd recommend a middle-of-the-road cateye computer for your desired ride info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I would love to use strava but I do not have a smartphone.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Take a look at VDO's M-series.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cateye Velo 7 covers everything I think. I use them on my bikes since they're cheap enough that I can afford to break one or two a year when I take an unscheduled off trail excursion. My only gripe is the mount could be better, the computer sometimes gets knocked off in a crash, I now have the habit of checking to make sure the computer's still on the bar before I ride away from the crash site.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I don't use the cateye, but I think that would be a good option. You need to look for wired and not wireless. There are a couple that have heavier wires for mountain biking. Just look at reviews and go from there.

Almost 20 years ago I started using a Sigma Sport BC1100 and my wife a BC500. The stupid computers are still working. They are obviously no longer available, but every now and then I will pick up a couple of BC700 on ebay from Singapore for $13.00 + $6.00 shipping.

I think I am using 4 of them because I don't want to swap between road and mountain, plus I gave a couple away. For me it is just easier because they fit the mounts on all my bikes so if one breaks, I will just have to slide on a new computer head. There are good Mtbr reviews starting in 1998, but even so, I'm not sure I'd recommend going with such an old product.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Blackburn has a few models that are priced nice and have great features/functions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i would think that any bigbox/local sporting goods shop would ahve a computer that meets your requirement for less than $30

passed out in your garden
    "relatively inexpensive" are the keywords here......
    At $220 l found the Garmin etrex 30 relatively inexpensive.
    It maps, navigates, stravas etc etc.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just got a catseye micro wireless , does what you want , and is way more accurate than my phone app "everytrail" was , I suggest measuring the tire you put the sensor on , as the chart is a rough guess for mm of circumference , my phone was way off like 25 percent error , the trail I frequent has alot of tree canopy , and I think it losses gps signal

~ B A D A S S ~
    I just got an omega speedmaster professional bike computer, it computes speed if you know the time for exactly 1km, and you can clock times with it and then calculate speed from that if you know the distance. Its wireless.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Looking for a Bike Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I don't use the cateye, but I think that would be a good option. You need to look for wired and not wireless. There are a couple that have heavier wires for mountain biking. Just look at reviews and go from there.

Almost 20 years ago I started using a Sigma Sport BC1100 and my wife a BC500. The stupid computers are still working. They are obviously no longer available, but every now and then I will pick up a couple of BC700 on ebay from Singapore for $13.00 + $6.00 shipping.

I think I am using 4 of them because I don't want to swap between road and mountain, plus I gave a couple away. For me it is just easier because they fit the mounts on all my bikes so if one breaks, I will just have to slide on a new computer head. There are good Mtbr reviews starting in 1998, but even so, I'm not sure I'd recommend going with such an old product.

John
    Buy an iPhone 3 on eBay and skip activating it, just use WiFi when you are at home. Strava will work fine with no cellular service. Should be less than 100 bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman69671 View Post
    I would love to use strava but I do not have a smartphone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Buy an iPhone 3 on eBay and skip activating it, just use WiFi when you are at home. Strava will work fine with no cellular service. Should be less than 100 bucks
    Or galaxy S2 -- it has a user-replaceable battery .

Strava is great for keeping yourself from getting lost and keeping track of progress. But for accurate speed and distance measurement, unless your trails are relatively straight and in the clear, you need a wheel-driven computer. For example, my ride this evening was 9.0 miles and 8.9 mph according to the computer. Strava on my S2 gave me credit for 8.0 miles and 7.9 mph. 10 -15% off is pretty typical.

I have the Cateye Strada Wireless without the cadence sensor and am quite happy with it. I did lose one, no crash or anything, and no way anyone could have stolen it. Cateye wouldn't sell me just the head. You can get everything else, but not the head. So this is what I did:

Don't lose your Cateye computer

A good cheap unit is the $20 wireless Bell from Wal-Mart. The quality of construction and mounting hardware aren't as good as Cateye, but they work fine. The thing I didn't like is that you have to remember to turn it on. It is auto off, so if you take a break and forget to turn it on, you are screwed. The Cateye is auto-on and off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had good luck with the Cateye Enduro. Has a thicker wirer than other computers.

CC-ED400 | CATEYE

Dirt Junkie
    I like anything cheap without a wire.

I've been using an old Cateye 7 for 10+ years. Always works. New batteries every 8 months or so.

Bulletproof.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have great experience with sigma computers,
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I chose a cateye strada wireless. After I looked over all the other recommendations. Thanks all for the replies.

mtbr member
    Good choice i'm sure you will be happy with it post a pic of that bad boy on your ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by elliott436 View Post
    Good choice i'm sure you will be happy with it post a pic of that bad boy on your ride!

I like it so far!

mtbr member
    Good to hear, looks great on your ride!

Air Pirate
    +1 on Sigma. I have had a small and relatively simple wireless one (BC1200) for years that keeps going. When I wanted to upgrade to one that could track altitude and heart rate I got a BC2209 Targa wireless. That one can also add the cadence and has a second bike function.

The thing I found on the BC2209 was the transmitting distance from the fork mounted sensor to the computer head was the longest of any wireless bike computer I saw out there at the time. Something you might want to take into consideration. Some mountain bike setups can space the sensor and computer pretty far apart and the computer manufacturers keep the transmitting distance short to save battery.

The Cateye Strada is pretty good for transmitting distance. A buddy has one set up on his trainer bike with the sensor on the rear wheel and no problem with the computer receiving the signal.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    So what should I do with my iPhone 5?

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Get the strava app

mtbr member

Re: Looking for a Bike Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman69671 View Post