Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for a 98-99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Elite of Pro Max Backbone frame...

Hi. This is my first post to the forums although I have read them for the past couple of months. I recently got back into Mountain Bike riding after not owning a bike for the past 8-9 years. Life gets in the way sometimes. Anyhow about 2 months ago I found my bike on Craigslist here in Phoenix. It is a 1998 Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp. I remembered this bike from back in the day. I wanted one so bad but couldn't afford it as I just was starting my career. Although the one I really wanted was the Made in the USA Max Backbone version i.e. Elite, Pro. Just wondering if anyone knows of any being sold. Really want just a frame but would consider a whole bike if price is right. I live in Phoenix but may be willing to travel if necessary. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The title was supposed to read: "Elite OR Pro" not "Elite OF Pro"

mtbr member

Looking for a 98-99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Elite of Pro Max Backbone frame...

May I ask , why such an old bike or frame ? The bikes of just a few years back are just so much better .

" Are You Satisfied "

mtbr member
    I feel you can't beat the frame. I don't worry much about weight. And the rest is just components. I have a lot of good components to go onto the bike I have now. The Horst Linkage for the Rear is still in use today and from all my readings is one of the best. In fact I have parts from Risse Racing that made it better and custom. I would rather drop a little money along the way to fix a bike up than drop thousands at once. But I really love old school. Thats why I own an 87 Toyota 4runner as well. That's just me.

mtbr member

That's cool and what I kinda expected . But the geometry on the newer bikes make such a difference on the handling and comfort . But , to each is own , I think your idea is cool too . Good luck

" Are You Satisfied "

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Looking for a 98-99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Elite of Pro Max Backbone ...

CL or eBay or the classifieds here. Good luck.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Thanks I keep looking on my phone everyday. I have to say I would love a new bike no doubt, but those are easy to come by. I guess I get a thrill in the search for the old bike I want. Once I get that I will look to get a new one for sure. I'd like to have a 29er for sure.

The Original Suspect
    Having had a 99 FSR XC Comp purchased new and ridden with great joy for many years. I can say that you will be much happier with a newer frame with longer travel and disc brakes. True the bike you are looking for is upgradeable but the geo is so much different from todays bikes. Just because it was a great bike 15 years ago doesn't mean it will be today.

But good luck in your search. Having said that. The guy I sold my FSR to may be willing to sell. It's in really nice shape still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a 98-99 Specialized Ground Control FSR Elite of Pro Max Backbone frame...-p7210004-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Having had a 99 FSR XC Comp purchased new and ridden with great joy for many years. I can say that you will be much happier with a newer frame with longer travel and disc brakes. True the bike you are looking for is upgradeable but the geo is so much different from todays bikes. Just because it was a great bike 15 years ago doesn't mean it will be today.

But good luck in your search. Having said that. The guy I sold my FSR to may be willing to sell. It's in really nice shape still.
    Thanks for the reply. I hear what you're saying and i do really love what i see in the new bikes. This is just something i wanted a few years after my high school days. I assume that picture is the bike. It looks great. I may consider it although the one i really want is one of the max backbone frames similar to the one i have now. Then i know once i finish that little buildup, i will be into a newer bike for sure. Just have to get it out of my system. Cant help it, im an auto mechanic by trade and love to tinker as well as ride. Thanks again.

The Original Suspect
    Fair enough...we all want what we want. Once again good luck.

mtbr member
    Bummer had two leads on the max frame im looking for. Both red, but also both 19" (large) frames. I need 17" (medium).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a '99 medium FSR-XC comp in blue. My wife kicks ass on it despite the older egro. I squeezed in a 2.3 front tire, it fits in the Judy fork. 1x10 Zee shifters, modern 11-36 cassette. Bearing update kit with the msr long travel kit in the rear.

Some of the modern updates still have a big impact on the older rides. A riding buddy has two more nicely upgraded, and used at least once a week for way over a decade.

This isn't a for sale post, but if you can't find a deal locally i'll sell you mine or put you in touch with one. PM me if it comes to that.

Dirt Junkie
    They run small compared to todays bikes. I'm 5'-10" and had a med. My friend was 5' 11" and had a large. I wish I had had a large.

Just saying.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I have a '99 medium FSR-XC comp in blue. My wife kicks ass on it despite the older egro. I squeezed in a 2.3 front tire, it fits in the Judy fork. 1x10 Zee shifters, modern 11-36 cassette. Bearing update kit with the msr long travel kit in the rear.

Some of the modern updates still have a big impact on the older rides. A riding buddy has two more nicely upgraded, and used at least once a week for way over a decade.

This isn't a for sale post, but if you can't find a deal locally i'll sell you mine or put you in touch with one. PM me if it comes to that.
    Thanks for the reply. The current bike I have is a medium frame 98 GC FSR Comp and I love it. As long as they/it is a 98-98 Elite/Pro model (Max Backbone) Made In USA frame in Medium I am interested. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    They run small compared to todays bikes. I'm 5'-10" and had a med. My friend was 5' 11" and had a large. I wish I had had a large.

Just saying.
    Hi thanks for the response. I am 5'9" and currently ride a 98 GC FSR Comp that is Medium Frame and I know that it fits me very well. Just a slight stretch of the foot when I come to a stop to balance myself. I'm sure a large would not work as well. Every time I test ride a bike at the local shop, they always put me on a Medium. Trust me I am tempted to do it and would try it if I wasn't so comfortable on a Medium. Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    question- do you already have a bike to ride and you are looking for this specific bike because it would be cool to have an older bike after which you once lusted?

if not, just think of all the time you are wasting that you could spend RIDING while looking for a very specific, out-dated frame. you could instead be riding a better, newer bike. seems like a waste of time. do you want a bike to ride, or do you want a bike as a trophy? you are going to die of old age before you find that frame, so get to riding!

it would be cool to have an Apple IIgs so I can play 8-bit Oregon Trail on it, but there are better ways to spend my time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    question- do you already have a bike to ride and you are looking for this specific bike because it would be cool to have an older bike after which you once lusted?

if not, just think of all the time you are wasting that you could spend RIDING while looking for a very specific, out-dated frame. you could instead be riding a better, newer bike. seems like a waste of time. do you want a bike to ride, or do you want a bike as a trophy? you are going to die of old age before you find that frame, so get to riding!

it would be cool to have an Apple IIgs so I can play 8-bit Oregon Trail on it, but there are better ways to spend my time.
    Who's to say that I don't ride everyday? Newer bike or not. It is cool to have an older bike. Thats why I have one (4 bikes total). Newest being 2010. The new bikes are cool because the Bike Shops and Magazines say so. I prove every time I ride that they are unnecessary as I finish every ride I start. Biking is about having fun not showing off what you have while compensating for something. I don't have that problem so I enjoy my old bike.

Biking has never been a competition to me. Never have I tried to beat anyone to the top of a hill or to the bottom. Or finish a trail first. So a new bike is not necessary.

And if you knew anything about the bike I'm looking for then you would know that "outdated" the frame is not. It just is a bit heavier than the newer carbon crap frames. but then I don't waste my time going to a scale to weigh it. I'd rather ride it. I can't see spending $3-4+ grand on Taiwanese made crap.

It's funny to me the difference between the mentality of bikers as opposed to car people. I am also on a car forum and people on there are always looking for a cool older car. No one ever says to them to get a newer car cause they're better. Bike "snobs" kill me. It's funny really.

If you don't like what I'm doing don't respond to a thread you know nothing about. After all you said and I quote, "but there are better ways to spend my time". I suggest you find it and do it.

Hell Track
    I don't think anyone is being a bike snob..they're just trying to give some good advice. I'm the least bike snobby person and can tell you that it's true. Modern mountain bikes are just plain more fun that older stuff. My bike is a 2006 (old) but it blows my last bike out of the water. FYI- you don't need to spend 3-4 grand on a good rig and most of the stuff made in Taiwan is of really good quality. No one is saying to buy new either. for a grand you can get a great bike used. buy what you want but if you post on a forum full of Mountain bike enthusiasts about searching for a vintage bike as your main ride don't be surprised if people ask... why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I don't think anyone is being a bike snob..they're just trying to give some good advice. I'm the least bike snobby person and can tell you that it's true. Modern mountain bikes are just plain more fun that older stuff. My bike is a 2006 (old) but it blows my last bike out of the water. FYI- you don't need to spend 3-4 grand on a good rig and most of the stuff made in Taiwan is of really good quality. No one is saying to buy new either. for a grand you can get a great bike used. buy what you want but if you post on a forum full of Mountain bike enthusiasts about searching for a vintage bike as your main ride don't be surprised if people ask... why?
    Not meaning to offend anyone. I just don't know why people just assume that this is or would be my "main" bike. But furthermore why someone I will never meet would care. Maybe I don't ride the kind of trails others do. maybe I don't ride as often. Either way there is a really good reason I want what I want.

Thanks for the reply though.

mtbr member
    Search is over... Found the Max frame bike. Just need to pick it up tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats. The Max Backbone frames are sweet. Not sure if you've seen this thread yet:My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ok I owned a '97 Max Back bone Spec Pro (?) with the piggy back coil Vanilla shock, bought it new. Sure it was cool but by todays standards not a durable bike. The suspension bushings got sticky fast and if you ride in the mud it got really stictiony, required a lot of maintenance. The bike came with a machined pin to help push the pivots out, ask the owner if he still has it. The MRP needle bearing kit did wonders for the bike. Problem 2, people cracked the chainstays at the front brace. Problem 3, the shock mount hole in the frame was very thin and mine elongated after a couple of years. I understand the heart wants what it wants, gl.

BETD still makes a long travel kit for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    Congrats. The Max Backbone frames are sweet. Not sure if you've seen this thread yet:My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long)
    hehe I think i gave you the front derailleur guide off my '97 for that.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all that responded to this thread. But i'm gonna call it done now that i found the frame i sought after.

Happy Trails

Dirt Junkie
    Post pics when you get it home. We would love to see a build thread.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast