Formerly Carlos9

Longer Bars, Shorter Stem...

I'm considering going from a 640mm-ish bar to something approaching 710mm on my Trek Fuel EX 9.8... It currently has a 110mm 7 deg stem which I'll also replace with a Thompson Elite. So here's my question... Should I move to a shorter stem to account for the longer bars? And if so, how much shorter?
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

Formerly Carlos9
    Anyone?

Perpetual n00b
    Why? What problem are you attempting to solve? How does it handle now? Can you hold a line through a corner fairly intuitively?
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Ride Instigator
    Why not change out the bars and see how it feels and go from there to decide if you want to go shorter with the stem? It might not be a bad idea to see if you can borrow a shorter stem to see how you like it before you plunk down $100 on a Thomson. A friend of mine wants to try shorter and he ordered a 70mm RF (from Jenson I believe) for like $15 to try it out, if he likes it he'll order a Thomson. Better to make a $15 mistake then a $100 mistake he says.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Why? What problem are you attempting to solve? How does it handle now? Can you hold a line through a corner fairly intuitively?
    I spend more time on my ss and have grown to like the wider bars on it. The narrow bars on the fs bike seem too narrow, especially when climbing whilst seated. I feel like my elbows are pinned in at my sides. Also, I like the idea of wider bars with the slacker head angle... No problem cornering, I just feel like it would be better with a wider bar.

My real question, which perhaps I didn't word very well, is if I try wider bars [and I have a set I can use before buying another] do I need to consider a shorter stem. I'd like to get a new stem anyway as I don't care for the way the current one looks, so how much shorter [if any] do I need to go. I know its all personal, just looking for recommendations based on experience. Thanks.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Why not change out the bars and see how it feels and go from there to decide if you want to go shorter with the stem? It might not be a bad idea to see if you can borrow a shorter stem to see how you like it before you plunk down $100 on a Thomson. A friend of mine wants to try shorter and he ordered a 70mm RF (from Jenson I believe) for like $15 to try it out, if he likes it he'll order a Thomson. Better to make a $15 mistake then a $100 mistake he says.
    I agree, I'll do that when it comes to the time but do you have any suggestions how much shorter to go? I plan on replacing the stem either way [see above] but was looking for a starting point. Or do I choose randomly..? Thanks.

Perpetual n00b

Try the 710mm bar on a 75mm stem. Steering speed should feel pretty close to the same as a 640mm bar on a 110mm stem.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    No idea what to tell you except that I have a Thomson 5 degree x 110 x 25.4 Elite stem for sale.

Hope this helps.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Formerly Carlos9
    Try the 710mm bar on a 75mm stem. Steering speed should feel pretty close to the same as a 640mm bar on a 110mm stem.
    Sounds like a good starting point, thanks! How did you come to that conclusion? Is there "formula" or something... Or just personal experience?

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    No idea what to tell you except that I have a Thomson 5 degree x 110 x 25.4 Elite stem for sale.

Hope this helps.
    Ha! Nice try!

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9 View Post
    Sounds like a good starting point, thanks! How did you come to that conclusion? Is there "formula" or something... Or just personal experience?
    Take a setup you are comfortable with and divide bar length in half and add stem length. So in your case that number is 430. Based off 640mm bar and 110mm stem.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have a 720mm bar and 90mm stem on my SS 29er and a 660mm bar and 110mm stem on my geared 26" hardtail with similar TT lengths, but the 29er bars are a bit higher. It works for me and feels right.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you hold a line through a corner fairly intuitively?

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9 View Post
    I'm considering going from a 640mm-ish bar to something approaching 710mm on my Trek Fuel EX 9.8... It currently has a 110mm 7 deg stem which I'll also replace with a Thompson Elite. So here's my question... Should I move to a shorter stem to account for the longer bars? And if so, how much shorter?
    I went from 100mm stem/685mm 2" rise bar to 50mm stem/750mm 1.5" rise bar and love it. decending/handling and climbing all improved. Climbing I would have thought otherwise, but I think the lower/wider bar allows me to push the front down better than the old set up.

Formerly Carlos9
    Take a setup you are comfortable with and divide bar length in half and add stem length. So in your case that number is 430. Based off 640mm bar and 110mm stem.
    That my friend, is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by 251 View Post
    FWIW, I have a 720mm bar and 90mm stem on my SS 29er and a 660mm bar and 110mm stem on my geared 26" hardtail with similar TT lengths, but the 29er bars are a bit higher. It works for me and feels right.
    TT length is similar on my ss 29er & geared fs 26er also. In fact I tried to set them up to be as close as possible in cockpit size [other than bar length], which meant i ended up with a 120mm stem on my ss that feels perfect. But after climbing [especially sitting] on the 29er, the shorter bars make me feel cramped and uneconomical on my 26er. I have no problem cornering, descending etc, just want some wider bars whilst climbing. Wider than 660mm though I think!

Quote Originally Posted by hazelmrzv View Post
    Can you hold a line through a corner fairly intuitively?
    No problem holding lines, cornering or descending, I'm really looking for a wider position while climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    I went from 100mm stem/685mm 2" rise bar to 50mm stem/750mm 1.5" rise bar and love it. decending/handling and climbing all improved. Climbing I would have thought otherwise, but I think the lower/wider bar allows me to push the front down better than the old set up.
    Thats similar to the direction I'm thinking of going, maybe not as wide on the bars or as short on the stem but I guess proportionally its pretty close! Glad to hear its working for you.