mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Long-term bike storage

I am leaving the country for about 2 years for a Peace Corps assignment, and plan on storing my bike for the duration that I am gone. It is a steel hardtail (vassago bander to be exact). I already plan on storing somewhere that is at least somewhat temperature controlled. Are there any other additional considerations I should make regarding storage?

I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to semi-disassemble the bike so it would more easily fit in a closet or attic, but I'm not sure if that's important or not. Any insights on long-term storage of a mountain bike would definitely be appreciated- any good or bad experience with storing bikes?

cheers,
    Luke

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Make sure the cables & drivetrain are clean and lubed, put a bit of lube on all the bolts so they don't corrode & seize into place. Grease the heck out of your seatpost on the portion that's inside the frame, you really don't want the seatpost to get permanently attached to your frame. Or yank the seatpost out and store it separate from the bike. You also want to get the bike off the tires so when they lose all air pressure after 6-12 months they don't end up with a flat spot in them when you get back. Another option is to put your old disposable tires on the bike when it goes into storage.

I've probably missed a few things myself, but that should get you started and if I remember anything else I'll add it in.