mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Locking Up a Full Suspension Bike.... rear triangle?

So Id like to remove the front wheel and lock it to the frame and rear wheel, and then to a stationary object. With a long U-Lock on my 2012 stumpjumper FSR comp, the distance from the frame to the rear wheel doesn't really allow for such a configuration unless you use the swing arm. But then with an allen key you could easily just separate the FSR linkage, and take the bike home in two separate pieces right? i could use a 10-15 lb. chain but that sounds awful. so if were leaving the whole, 'dont leave your bike unattended' approach to things alone for the moment, what are some current configurations that are working for you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    i guess the lock would be in there attached to the rack and both wheels, so it looks more like theyd have to cut both wheels to let the lock pass through them before undoing the linkage and sliding the swingarm through the lock?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Locking Up a Full Suspension Bike.... rear triangle?

Quote Originally Posted by pckt5 View Post
    But then with an allen key you could easily just separate the FSR linkage, and take the bike home in two separate pieces right?
    I think just cutting the lock would be even quicker and easier than that... It's astoundingly simple to cut even the top krypto's.

Cordless grinders like these will cut through most locks in 1 min and the toughest locks will be 6min or so:

Http://r.ebay.com/Lmqkqw

That's quicker than removing the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    yeah, after having my last bike jacked, I do realize nothing will actually prevent it from getting stolen... but looking at those big ol hex shaped pivots and knowing what thieves will go through to steal a bike, i started thinking of all sorts of crazy stuff. didnt know if those links were widely considered a weak point or not (in regards to security)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I never leave my high-end bike unattended, never.

It's another reason to have a 2nd " cheaper " bike as some situations can't be helped where your forced to lock your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Locking Up a Full Suspension Bike.... rear triangle?

I have a "lesser" bike that I commute on & I use the New York Krypto U lock with a 1" cable. It has a locking seat collar & I'll probably get locking skewers in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I never leave my high-end bike unattended, never.

It's another reason to have a 2nd " cheaper " bike as some situations can't be helped where your forced to lock your bike.
    +1. Buy a craigslist bike for local riding. Keep your expensive bike strictly for what you purchased it for. Don't give thieves the chance!