mtbr member
    May 2008

Lining bikes up in garage

I'm moving one of my cars out of the garage so I have more and easier access to my bikes. Currently have two mountain bikes, a road bike, 2 city cruisers, clown bike, 2 unicycles, a couple kids bikes.
    I'd like to like the adult bikes close together side by side, with the rear wheel touching the wall.

Any recommendations for the best way to secure the rear wheel to the wall so the bikes don't fall side to side?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Any floor stand pretty much works if the rails are close enough together. Or just go buy some pvc or wood and make a rack so the rails are spaced exactly as you need them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Seems like that is more hanging the bikes, where I'm looking to keep both wheels on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Any floor stand pretty much works if the rails are close enough together. Or just go buy some pvc or wood and make a rack so the rails are spaced exactly as you need them.

Yeah, I'll probably build my own. Just wondering the best design. Since the rear wheel will be against the wall and I can secure the stand to the wall, it shouldn't require a big full blown stand to keep them upright.
    I've done something like this - https://youtu.be/bVxTfsA6OvM but it didn't work out quite as well as what I'd want.

Nat
    mtbr member

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Its really simply honestly. Pvc would be the easiest but wood would be the cheapest. Make the gap for each tire just big enough that the tire fits inside easily, have it stick out a few inches from the wall in somewhat of a triangle. Just be up high enough it supports the point at which the tire would be touching the wall (half was up).

If its a loose fit then bike can fall over. Almost snug fit and it wont go anywhere.

Be sure to have a lip at the bottom so the bikes cant randomly roll forward.

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

passed out in your garden
    I built this out of some old crates l had at work, even has a shelf on top
    Similar idea as in the youtube vid above, l havent painted it though.

Pic is not a good example, but if you can train the family (as l havent been able to), putting bikes in nose/tail/nose/tail will save some space and allow you to get them closer.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    I built this out of some old crates l had at work, even has a shelf on top
    Similar idea as in the youtube vid above, l havent painted it though.

Pic is not a good example, but if you can train the family (as l havent been able to), putting bikes in nose/tail/nose/tail will save some space and allow you to get them closer.
    Very cool, thanks. I may do something like that instead of the triangle design

mtbr member
    May 2008

Just thought about something else. I think I'm going to mount a 2x4 horizontally to the wall about 2/3rds up towards the top of the tire and get a bunch of shelf brackets - https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall-Met...Bbrackets&th=1

I'll simply space those out for the width of each tire

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

That doesn't seem like it would be wide enough for 2.4"

mtbr member
    I hang six bikes staggered on the wall. Best solution I saw, gets them as close together as possible. I'll post a picture laster.

It's pretty simple to use pvc pipe to make a stand that the rear wheels slide in to.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Thought I had a picture of the hooks with the bikes on but I can't find one. This is just after putting them up. Six bikes hanging in a space about eight-feet wide I think?

Lining bikes up in garage-017.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, who needs wood or pvc
    Here's what I did. Bought some 6x8" shelf brackets for less than 50 cents each. screwed them to a horizontal stud in wall. Bent bracket tips so it's easy to slot the back wheel.

Not the best if you go front wheel first, but should do the trick and been happy with it so far after testing two of my bikes.

slow
    Looks like you created an inexpensive and good option. Should you find that is not satisfactory,
    something like this is pretty inexpensive and easy to build. I built this from scrap lumber reclaimed from a remodel project.

Lining bikes up in garage-rack.jpg

mtbr member
    PVC is great stuff. One of these stands made out of 1" PVC costs about $15. They work on front or back tires.

Monkey Wrangler
    My super cheap bike stand that can hold 8 or more bikes. Cost me a grand total of $15 in parts and lumber from Home Depot. In the photo, there are 7 bikes on the stand.

Lining bikes up in garage-2017090495095041.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Bikes at 45° angle to make room for car and wood working equipment. The top has been updated to match the bottom so the spacing is adjustable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

since 4/10/2009
    Been looking at a lot of storage options. My last place was great - my bikes lived in the basement and I had a great setup.

New place is bigger, but no basement. There's no shed on site yet for the lawnmower and such. That will come later. I do have a 2 car garage to work with. My teardrop camper will fit on one side, and wife's car on the other. I'm going to have to get somewhat creative when it comes to bike storage. Currently 5 bikes, one of which is a fatbike that makes wheel-hanging storage difficult. I think I might have to put the bikes on the back wall of the garage, as side space will be at a premium.

I have some ideas floating around, but we'll see.

One of those ideas involves one of these, but depends on how much ceiling height I have:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-l...rol-69739.html

mtbr member
    I just took over the downstairs bedroom (less than 10 feet from the door out to the garage) and currently use the stands from Feedback Sports like many bike shops use.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Been looking at a lot of storage options. My last place was great - my bikes lived in the basement and I had a great setup.

New place is bigger, but no basement. There's no shed on site yet for the lawnmower and such. That will come later. I do have a 2 car garage to work with. My teardrop camper will fit on one side, and wife's car on the other. I'm going to have to get somewhat creative when it comes to bike storage. Currently 5 bikes, one of which is a fatbike that makes wheel-hanging storage difficult. I think I might have to put the bikes on the back wall of the garage, as side space will be at a premium.

I have some ideas floating around, but we'll see.

One of those ideas involves one of these, but depends on how much ceiling height I have:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-l...rol-69739.html
    I think two of those hoists (or the manual ones) with a 2x4 between them and you could store bikes like Speed Goat above, but off the floor...Pretty rad if I say so myself.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I think two of those hoists (or the manual ones) with a 2x4 between them and you could store bikes like Speed Goat above, but off the floor...Pretty rad if I say so myself.
    I know a shop that did a hoist with one of those contraptions. They had a couple. Used a pipe to hang the bikes. Will have to call them up and ask for pics so I can assemble one. Assuming I have enough ceiling height.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    I did that in my old house with an old climbing rope and a couple of pulleys plus an ascender or belay device.

Held five bikes and could be controlled with one hand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I simply like the fact that the OP has made the decision to use the garage for his/her bikes vs his/her vehicle!
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Ok, who needs wood or pvc
    Here's what I did. Bought some 6x8" shelf brackets for less than 50 cents each. screwed them to a horizontal stud in wall. Bent bracket tips so it's easy to slot the back wheel.

Not the best if you go front wheel first, but should do the trick and been happy with it so far after testing two of my bikes.

Is that up to building code?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    We went back to leaning most of our bikes on the wall.

Also, a couple of road bikes hang on a fold up hanger. These do not stand far enough out for mountain bikes and the hook is not wide enough for many frames. These could be mounted on standoffs to give space for wide bars.

I've hung bikes high overhead hanging from the saddle nose with success in the past. It doesn't seem as harsh on the saddle cover as I thought it might be as long as you carefully hook it, and don't mess with it. I suppose you could pad the pole or hook.

An alternative idea I have, but never tried, is to hang bikes by the wheels on the wall, on a pair of horizontal flip-up posts.

The garage which contains many bikes is like an aircraft carrier.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I know a shop that did a hoist with one of those contraptions. They had a couple. Used a pipe to hang the bikes. Will have to call them up and ask for pics so I can assemble one. Assuming I have enough ceiling height.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Congrats to moving to WNC, and if you're ever down in Greenville, Performance has that setup also.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    We went back to leaning most of our bikes on the wall.

Also, a couple of road bikes hang on a fold up hanger. These do not stand far enough out for mountain bikes and the hook is not wide enough for many frames. These could be mounted on standoffs to give space for wide bars.

I've hung bikes high overhead hanging from the saddle nose with success in the past. It doesn't seem as harsh on the saddle cover as I thought it might be as long as you carefully hook it, and don't mess with it. I suppose you could pad the pole or hook.

An alternative idea I have, but never tried, is to hang bikes by the wheels on the wall, on a pair of horizontal flip-up posts.

The garage which contains many bikes is like an aircraft carrier.

I lean mine against the wall, rear wheel only, facing in an angle, and front wheels turned in unison. I like being able to grab and go...
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    We also have a rim brake/drum road tandem hanging upside down from the wheels on hooks, and a lot of wheels hanging overhead.

Before hydraulic brakes and big tires came to cycling, I used to hang bikes upside down all the time.

Taking them down and putting them up there is a bit of trouble, but I does wonders for floor space right?

I'm here waiting for the handy people here to show us how they made a "side-arm" type of front wheel holder, like on hitch racks and roof racks, that are made out of PVC pipe and bungees, for use for bike storage. Somebody must have tried. My vision is something that flicks up flat and out of the way on the wall, on a vertical hinge, so you can angle the bikes, that grips the rear wheel.

Leaning bikes can sometimes slip and fall. Worse, there is a potential Domino effect.

Magically Delicious
    Name:  e70f4ad3e3345c88f7f9ed479decf07f--bicycle-hanger-bicycle-storage.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  33.3 KB
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    That works well as a place to hang visitors jackets
    always mad and usually drunk......

Over the years I've seen all kinds of unique ways to do it. The one I found that works the best and saves room yet is still a cheap way to go. A simple hook system that is staggered to fit more bikes and saves room. One bike hangs the next bikes rear tire rests on the floor and so on. By staggering them they can be put closer together.

Not my photo but what I'm talking about.

Lining bikes up in garage-img_3772.jpg
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Very nice, although the bikes best be cleaned before they get the secret password to come in.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Pro Crastinator
    just a few spare 2x6's...

Lining bikes up in garage-891949d1399611666-indoor-bike-stand-dh-bikemessy-1.jpg

nimble biker
    Very nice, although the bikes best be cleaned before they get the secret password to come in.
    This is risky to hang bikes in hallway. It attracts thieves

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    This is risky to hang bikes in hallway. It attracts thieves

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    And you're telling me this because? Did I post that picture? No. Do I like it? Yes. Nothing wrong with a little wall art to cheer ones day up. Who's going to see it other than close friends? Nobody.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)