mtbr member

Light headache after raising saddle

I raised my saddle about an inch, I feel like I'm getting more power now. problem is I guess cause my head is tilted back slightly more its giving me a light headache. I don't really want to raise my handlebars anymore. my saddle/handlebars are close to the same height. could sliding the saddle forward help?

any websites that show pictures of the proper fit on a XC mountain bike I could compare a picture of my self to?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Must be an early onset of HAPE.

Chew some coca leaves, and tip your porter!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

I like pie.
    Some people get altitude sickness. If taking a couple of Advils doesn't do the trick, lower your saddle!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Beat ya to it, maaaaan

And then we eat them."

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    You say headache, not a sore/achy neck? If it's a headache, how are you sure that it's the new change in position? It could be something simple like dehydration.

If it's a sore neck, though, don't change the saddle position to compensate for a reach problem. If you don't want to raise the handlebar (for whatever reason), you have two other options. Install a handlebar with more rise, or use a stem with a shorter reach. But the easiest option is to move the stem up the steerer if you have any more spacers above the stem. If you don't, you could also install a stem with more rise. A combination of any of those options will also work for you.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Must be an early onset of HAPE.

Chew some coca leaves, and tip your porter!
    huh? im riding at sea level, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    You say headache, not a sore/achy neck? If it's a headache, how are you sure that it's the new change in position? It could be something simple like dehydration.

If it's a sore neck, though, don't change the saddle position to compensate for a reach problem. If you don't want to raise the handlebar (for whatever reason), you have two other options. Install a handlebar with more rise, or use a stem with a shorter reach. But the easiest option is to move the stem up the steerer if you have any more spacers above the stem. If you don't, you could also install a stem with more rise. A combination of any of those options will also work for you.
    the neck does get sore too. when riding i feel relief when i tilt my head down, can't keep it there for long or I can't see where i'm going.

mtbr member
    The change in position is likely adding pressure and impeding blood flow to the brain. Which can happen when your brain is located immediately above the saddle.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

MTB B'dos
    You do realise an inch is a HUGE change in saddle height right? If your saddle is at optimum height for pedaling, you should still have a 10-15 degree bend at the knee at full extension. If you only changed saddle height and find that this is the right height for you and you had it way too low, then I don't see the problem with also raising the bar, unless you had issues climbing and having the front want to come up easily. Still though, I'd try raising the bar/grip location a 1/2" as a compromise and see if that helps. I'd also suggest you do some stretching for your upper back and neck and try to loosen them up and gain some flexibility, especially if your bar is level with your saddle.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Was your previous position of the saddle fitting your height? I mean were your knees bent to a somewhat low angle when pedaling? If yes, then change it back. If not, I guess you could have some tension problems and I'd suggest you take some pills for this. Could get to permanent damage in some cases. Anyways, go see a doctor if you're not sure.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Man up! Your neck muscles are weak.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    There are way too many factors for you to assume your saddle height has caused your headache. Ride more, drink more fluids, and report back.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Make sure your elbows aren't locked and that your hands don't have a death grip on the bar. For the most part it should be your stomach muscles that prevent your torso from collapsing forward and not your arms. When your arms are more relaxed so will your neck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    Make sure your elbows aren't locked and that your hands don't have a death grip on the bar. For the most part it should be your stomach muscles that prevent your torso from collapsing forward and not your arms. When your arms are more relaxed so will your neck.
    my elbows are sometimes locked now. I'm guessing I need to slide the seat forward or get a shorter stem, stem is already a 90mm. I'm using riser bars and a setback seatpost. i ride about 45 miles a week.

MTB B'dos
    Dude, for XC 90mm I guess would be considered around a bit short, but don't let that stop you from trying something shorter to help get a better fit. Personally now these days I don't run anything over a 90mm stem and that's on my rigid/commuter because I also now don't run a bar under 740mm wide. Do yourself a favour and pick up a cheap 70mm or 80mm stem and give it a go - I'd say 70mm as it's be "drastically" shorter and you'll know for sure that you needed it. As to your saddle position, if it was good before and you raised it by an inch, then yes, it most definitely would need to go forward a bit since in raising it you also effectively moved it back going higher with the reclining seat tube angle - not much though, prob 5-10mm at most, depending on STA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    my elbows are sometimes locked now. I'm guessing I need to slide the seat forward or get a shorter stem, stem is already a 90mm. I'm using riser bars and a setback seatpost. i ride about 45 miles a week.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I am running a 50mm stem on my 'XC' bike!

And then we eat them."

human dehumidifier
    The only way I could see saddle height causing a headache is if we are misunderstanding which of your heads is aching.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

AZ
    banned
    Strengthen your neck muscles.

~Disc~Golf~
    Light headaches belong in the Weight Weenie forum ...
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Not to be a d!ck, but considering all the other variables that can cause "light headaches" when mountain biking in the summer time, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that a slight increase in your handlebar height was to blame? Correlation not = causation.

I mean, I had to piss like a racehorse during my ride yesterday, but that may have had something to do with all the beer I drank before hand, not the fact I dropped my saddle by 10mm.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Rogue Exterminator
    This video should help

Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Tree Crasher
    Raising you saddle puts more weight on your arms and upper body. Too wide handlebars puts tension on your upper back / trap muscles, straining your neck and potentially causing headaches. Not saying this is your particular issue as there are a few details left out regarding frame fit and body conditioning. Also as previously stated drink plenty fluids especially if living here in the states with the nasty heat waves being experienced.

And if your bike is the proper size def try a shorter stem.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

duh
    Which head are we talking about here?

Okay it could be dehydration, try drinking more when you ride. If that doesn't help then try a stem that raises the bar so you can't reach the beer before you ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We would really need your bike, specs, height, inseam.... cause something sounds screwed up, like you were already too horizontal to being with??

But, as usual, Yea, they guys here all basically nailed it, to pull it 2gether it sounds like muscle strain from an change in angle, sounds like the additional flex upward of your head is likely the cause. You need to look be sure your saddle height is correct for the size frame your on, look at the 'picture' you spoke of, sit the bike and at full drop down position of your pedal stroke and see exactly how close to full extension you are, establishing this then tells you if your at the proper height on the saddle. Assuming you made a change for the better, (not sure of that since you say your arms are straight?) then its about getting your upper body higher so your head isn't in such a reverse angle. That can be shorter stem, riser bars, (god forbid), a new fork with a longer steerer tube so you can sit higher up front. Before I'd do ANY of that, i'd take it to my LBS to make sure I was fit for that frame properly and the spec was built around my dimensions.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Not to be a d!ck, but considering all the other variables that can cause "light headaches" when mountain biking in the summer time, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that a slight increase in your handlebar height was to blame? Correlation not = causation.

I mean, I had to piss like a racehorse during my ride yesterday, but that may have had something to do with all the beer I drank before hand, not the fact I dropped my saddle by 10mm.
    how did I come to the conclusion? cause I lowered my seat, then the next 3 rides I get headaches on. lol

anyway, slid my seat forward today. I think it helped. I probably shouldn't have bought a setback seatpost.

I see so many XC riders that have handlebars way lower than their saddle. is there any benefit to this while not climbing? doesn't it put more strain on your back?

MTB B'dos
    Well if you both raised your saddle AND got a setback post and carried the saddle further back that would put laot of stress/strain on your neck/upper back muscles. You only buy a setback post IF you can't get your saddle far enough back, within the min/max lines on the rail of your saddle. Do a search for KOPS to get a starting point for saddle position relative to the BB, then move back as feels good, but remember that if you move your saddle back, you also have to lower it to get the same leg extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    how did I come to the conclusion? cause I lowered my seat, then the next 3 rides I get headaches on. lol

anyway, slid my seat forward today. I think it helped. I probably shouldn't have bought a setback seatpost.

I see so many XC riders that have handlebars way lower than their saddle. is there any benefit to this while not climbing? doesn't it put more strain on your back?
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids