Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,654

    legal question about mtb video

    I have a question about legal liability of mtb video.

    if your boss watch your biking video online, can he fire you from your job?

    the boss might think you have too much free time and not doing enough work on weekend.

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I have a question about legal liability of mtb video.

    if your boss watch your biking video online, can he fire you from your job?

    the boss might think you have too much free time and not doing enough work on weekend.
    I would like to fire you from this site.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would like to fire you from this site.
    Psssst. You can. Just don't fire me too.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would like to fire you from this site.
    Ooohhh, he's sooooo strict!

    To the OP: If your're supposed to be working on the weekend, then your boss should indeed fire your a$$. If the weekends are yours, then go ride your pants off. If you truly have reason to believe the boss will be upset because of what you do on your own time, then consider looking for another job.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  5. #5
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,654
    I don't have to work on weekend. I am concerned that employers will find any excuse to fire employees.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    If you truly have reason to believe the boss will be upset because of what you do on your own time, then consider looking for another job.
    Agreed!

  7. #7
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I don't have to work on weekend. I am concerned that employers will find any excuse to fire employees.

    Maybe be more concerned about doing your job, then maybe you won't be viewed as a slacker and won't get fired?

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    726
    How about just not posting mtb videos online? I would say 99% of all these videos on the internet are garbage. Horrible compression, terrible framing and lighting, (piss poor camera work in general) as well as painful editing, and some stupid song is always blaring away at you, and that is before we even get to the topic of content. How good is this trail, the riding, etc. Is this really something that should be utilizing the resources we have available. The internet is powered by the sweat of human slaves, think of them next time you want to post this. Gun Review and Firearm Safety from Retard Steve - YouTube

    GoPros should be left for filming interaction with the police to keep you safe, and entertainment videos should be produced with some remedial level of professionalism so as to at least make them watchable.

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I don't have to work on weekend. I am concerned that employers will find any excuse to fire employees.
    If that's your work situation, your employer can find any damn reason to fire you. They can even make up bull$hit excuses like "doesn't get along well with others" because you had a disagreement once years ago. mtb vids online should be the least of your worries.

  10. #10
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    mtb vids online should be the least of your worries.



    Yup, worry about all the pron you may have put on the interwebs, that stuff could come back to haunt you.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I don't have to work on weekend. I am concerned that employers will find any excuse to fire employees.
    Because they hire people just to fire them. They are in the business of firing people. Profits are made when you invest in training people then fire them then hire an inexperienced new guy to train.

  12. #12
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,724

    legal question about mtb video

    Are you a monk? Then you might have a problem. Otherwise, don't post your homemade pron or snuff videos, and I think you'll be OK.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I don't have to work on weekend. I am concerned that employers will find any excuse to fire employees.
    I am sure employers have many other, perfectly valid reasons for a firing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I have a question about legal liability of mtb video.

    if your boss watch your biking video online, can he fire you from your job?

    the boss might think you have too much free time and not doing enough work on weekend.
    Don't know Canadian law so I won't comment on the legality.

    However, if it does not pertain to your job, your boss shouldn't say anything about it.

    If on the weekends you are biking when you should be working than he/she could say something about it. However if it is your free time, they can't really say jack.

    That being said, if your boss is trying to fire you because you enjoy your personal time than there is probably a deeper issue.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  15. #15
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I have a question about legal liability of mtb video.

    if your boss watch your biking video online, can he fire you from your job?

    the boss might think you have too much free time and not doing enough work on weekend.
    Why the F would they be concerned about what you do on the weekend? That stinks of mega-control-freak and insanely bad human resources practices. Most likely other stuff is messed up and this company needs to be reported to the fair labor board or a complaint made to the government labor organizations. If you don't stand up and do something about these kind of practices, they keep happening.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  16. #16
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    BTW, apparently this is a non issue at this moment.
    Why don't you be smart. If it concerns you, don't post it.
    Keep your stuff private and don't let your boss on your personal pages.
    Better yet, don't use your real name on your personal pages.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,657

    legal question about mtb video

    The last branch manager at my shop was a mtn biker. Taking him out to show him the local trails was a great way to kiss some ass and get insider info about the company.
    He hurt his ankle in a bike wreck and had to hobble around on crutches for a few days. One of his superiors (a company VP/owner) made a sly comment about 'Maybe we don't need our branch managers out mountain biking'. Message heard, loud and clear. He didn't stop riding. It was just never discussed at work again.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  18. #18
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,580

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would like to fire you from this site.
    Haha!

    Y'all being trolled?

  19. #19
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Haha!

    Y'all being trolled?
    The OP is known for troll-type posts while being totally serious...and clueless.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  20. #20
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,283
    My boss knows I ride and has cautioned me not to get hurt. Dont say anything to the overweight smokers that made my health insurance go up 150% last year, though.
    No moss...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3
    There's also the question as to whether you work in an "at-will" state. If you do, then an employer can fire you for any reason they come up with- in fact, they don't even have to give you a reason. Whatever you do on your own time is your business- I'm also assuming here that you're not a pro athlete with a clause in your contract that says you can't ride a bike on the weekend.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I have a question about legal liability of mtb video.

    if your boss watch your biking video online, can he fire you from your job?

    the boss might think you have too much free time and not doing enough work on weekend.
    Is this a serious question? What you do with your time is your business. Why would you even worry about what your boss thinks?

  23. #23
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: legal question about mtb video

    Besides what everyone else said about this . . . How will your boss even find it?

    Even if you post it with your full first and last name, chances are he will not find your needle in a haystack video easily.

    Try it yourself: log out of YouTube or wherever you posted it, clear cookies from your browser so you're seeing the search results like a random person would, and try various search terms as your boss would. I bet you won't find it without very specific search kw's that match the video title.

    And, honestly, i manage people and frankly i have waaaaaaay more important things to do than search the internet for each of my employees looking for evidence of slackery. When someone is slacking its quite obvious to even a halfway decent manager and there is no need to conduct a forensic investigation of the internet to prove it. Unless you are in a union . But then you wouldn't even ask the question because you'd have little fear of being fired unless you're reeeeeally tanking at work.


    Sent from your phone, which i hacked into

  24. #24
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Even Mark Webber didn't get sacked by Red Bull (maybe because it was Red Bull) after he hurt himself riding on his own time.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Perhaps it's time to "go postal"?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Besides what everyone else said about this . . . How will your boss even find it?

    Even if you post it with your full first and last name, chances are he will not find your needle in a haystack video easily.

    Try it yourself: log out of YouTube or wherever you posted it, clear cookies from your browser so you're seeing the search results like a random person would, and try various search terms as your boss would. I bet you won't find it without very specific search kw's that match the video title.

    And, honestly, i manage people and frankly i have waaaaaaay more important things to do than search the internet for each of my employees looking for evidence of slackery. When someone is slacking its quite obvious to even a halfway decent manager and there is no need to conduct a forensic investigation of the internet to prove it. Unless you are in a union . But then you wouldn't even ask the question because you'd have little fear of being fired unless you're reeeeeally tanking at work.


    Sent from your phone, which i hacked into
    Maybe he was losing a couple of days work feigning some illness but in reality he was injured because he took an unauthorized day off biking. That would be grounds for a termination.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    And, honestly, i manage people and frankly i have waaaaaaay more important things to do than search the internet for each of my employees looking for evidence of slackery. When someone is slacking its quite obvious to even a halfway decent manager and there is no need to conduct a forensic investigation of the internet to prove it. Unless you are in a union . But then you wouldn't even ask the question because you'd have little fear of being fired unless you're reeeeeally tanking at work.
    Sure this may be generally true in the US, but what about places like China or Canada.
    Finding it isn't as hard as you think once everyone at work is sharing it on their phones and instead of working they are watching you do a flip and land on your head.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoeDougieDouglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    30
    I highly doubt any employer will fire you just for having a MtB video on the web - especially when it was made during your own down time.
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

  29. #29
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,686
    personally, i'd fire any idiot named after a star trek character...


  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    personally, i'd fire any idiot named after a star trek character...
    Uh-oh, looks like we have an anti-sci fi member here. Phazors on stun, fire at will!

  31. #31
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Uh-oh, looks like we have an anti-sci fi member here...
    it's only logical...


  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    it's only logical...

  33. #33
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The OP is known for troll-type posts while being totally serious...and clueless.
    WTF do you mean I am a troll ?

  34. #34
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,108
    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an escalator.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,370
    Live long, and prosper

  36. #36
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,580

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    personally, i'd fire any idiot named after a star trek character...
    I thought he was named for his most famous gesture.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Maybe he was losing a couple of days work feigning some illness but in reality he was injured because he took an unauthorized day off biking. That would be grounds for a termination.
    No, actually that would not be legal grounds for termination. Look into HIPAA Law and how it affects your relationship with your employer.
    In a nutshell, when you call in sick to work, all you have to say is that you 'Are not available for work due to health reasons.' Your employer legally can not question you directly about health related issues.
    Your employer can ask for a doctor's note. That note can not contain information about your specific health issues. A doctor's note can only say that you were seen by the doctor and that the doctor recommended you stay home from work.
    If you are hurt in a mtn bike accident, it is none of your employer's business. Call into your work and tell them you are calling in sick, no different than if you had a cold.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  38. #38
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Beam me up Scotty
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  39. #39
    Trailhead Poseur
    Reputation: jjaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    504
    The first question we always ask on job interviews is "Star Trek or Star Wars?". It's a trick question of course, the correct answer is "Firefly".
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

  40. #40
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,108
    I could never figure out Firefly. I tried to watch it on numerous occasions and it never took for me. Subpar acting, writing and set design IMO. Honestly I would have made a great employee but I don't think I would have made the cut.

  41. #41
    Trailhead Poseur
    Reputation: jjaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    504
    We would also accept "Dr. Who".
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

  42. #42
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,108
    Crap, I would have still have missed the cut.

  43. #43
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    WTF do you mean I am a troll ?
    I never said you are a troll.
    And if you do not understand the reference, you proved my point.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  44. #44
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    The first question we always ask on job interviews is "Star Trek or Star Wars?". It's a trick question of course, the correct answer is "Firefly".
    I would say H2G2.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  45. #45
    Trailhead Poseur
    Reputation: jjaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would say H2G2.
    Welcome aboard! Have I ever mentioned what I had etched on my grip clamps in large, friendly letters?

    Name:  grips_resize.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  44.1 KB
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

  46. #46
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    legal question about mtb video

    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Welcome aboard! Have I ever mentioned what I had etched on my grip clamps in large, friendly letters?

    Name:  grips_resize.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  44.1 KB
    !
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Live long, and prosper
    Is that what he was saying? I always thought it was "Live wrong and perspire".
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    109
    I wonder if they would fire you because you engage in dangerous activity and will cost their health insurance.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fiskare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710
    Anyone who gets their legal advice from this collection of knuckleheads gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll positive rep you ............. as soon as I figure out how.

  50. #50
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,654
    there are lots of other people engage in dangerous activity such as skydiving, car racing, deep sea diving, riding motorcycle. I am not pro athlete nor trying to become one. I only want to have fun.

    People have been fired for tweeting or posting messages on Facebook. I was aware that my previous employer check out my Facebook page. They just want to find out if I say trash about them. Anything you do nowadays can potentially get you fired, sued in court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Legal question about trail building.
    By Treyness in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM
  2. It is now legal to ride all horse legal single track in Marin
    By anomaly in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
  3. OT: Speeding Ticket: CA Legal System Question
    By Ken in KC in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
  4. Legal Dh Trails
    By ridefreeride in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM
  5. Legal ST Near Tomales?
    By OriginalDonk in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •