Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Leg Injury - Sproket Protector Needed!

Long story short - I was biking with my girlfriend this past Friday and she caught her calf on her front sprocket and had to get 7 staples to close the wound up. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good product to protect her from the front sprocket so this doesn't happen again? It would have to be compatible with a Trek Lush SL.

I was thinking something alone these lines:
    Blackspire - Chain Guards | Blackspire

Any other ideas?

Thank you,
    Josh

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those are made to replace the big chain ring ,if she doesn't want or need it ,go for it. What happen to cause the cut? Some cheep cranks come with a guard you might be able to adapt one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Those are made to replace the big chain ring ,if she doesn't want or need it ,go for it. What happen to cause the cut? Some cheep cranks come with a guard you might be able to adapt one.
    Oh, they are? That's good to know! Yeah, we will be wanting to keep all 3 front sprockets. Basically she was going up a hill and got stopped, she slid down the hill backwards and the bike was stopped on the hill and her leg was trying to hold her back.

EMBA Member
    I replaced the large chain ring with a race face bash guard, which would help in this situation. In the middle chainring, smallest rear gear I can move along as fast as I ever need to anyway, and the bash guard also slides over logs instead of digging in like the chainring did, so there are a couple benefits. Sounds like she needs more time becoming comfortable with easy trails and basic bike operation before she starts tackling steeper hills, etc. Not meant to be a putdown - everyone has to build their skills over time or risk staples in their leg or worse. Who's idea was it to go up this hill? Hopefully not yours.

mtbr member
    Do you really want to keep all three chainrings? Going from a 22/32/44 triple to a 36T middle ring only makes you lose the top 2 gears which you'll probably never use if you're not racing. 24/36 shifts better most times than 22/36 but then you'll lose a few gears on either end of the spectrum.

Same thing happened to my gf but not as bad and luckily her chainrings were already pretty worn out so I went 24/36/bash on her bike. She's been happier and the front shift quality as well and thinks the bashguard looks rad.

mtbr member
    Happened to me this weekend to my right calf....I still don't know how I managed to do it....

Nothing close to what happened to your girl...i felt a sting but when I looked down there was a ton of blood. I was sure I would need stitches until I wiped the blood away and noticed they were deep...but for some reason it bled pretty well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I popped a chain once, and even with clipless shoes somehow managed to get my calf in front of my big chain ring. had to physically pull my calf of the sprocket. now i wont ride without a bash guard. big chain ring is totally not worth it, especially on a 3x9 or 3x10
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

EDR
    OP, they make bashguards that let you keep all 3 chainrings. This is specifically what you are asking about.

Products

https://www.google.com/search?q=bash...hrome&ie=UTF-8

These type of guards mount on the outside of your big ring. Just get one that matches the tooth count (44t, 42t). With the BBG ones I believe you need to order the cheap spacer as well. Others might need longer chain ring bolts but may come with them. If you have a crankset with riveted rings rather than bolt on ones your SOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On a side note - BBG may have some awesome bash guards, but they have the most ghetto website I have ever seen. It looks like it was created by someone in the mid-90's who taught themselves HTML in a couple of hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They use to make "bash rings" that when over the big chainring (using longer bolts) is just matter of finding the BCD and find the proper bashring..

mtbr member

Re: Leg Injury - Sproket Protector Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    On a side note - BBG may have some awesome bash guards, but they have the most ghetto website I have ever seen. It looks like it was created by someone in the mid-90's who taught themselves HTML in a couple of hours.
    Ha Ha, absolutely.

EDR
    Ya, the BBG website is archaic and depressing but don't let that fool you. They have good, lightweight stuff and great prices. I think $36 will get OP a 44t guard and the spacer...shipped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is this the only one that will work with having three rings? Blackspire - 104 BCD Big Ring Protector | Blackspire 110 bucks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Ya, the BBG website is archaic and depressing but don't let that fool you. They have good, lightweight stuff and great prices. I think $36 will get OP a 44t guard and the spacer...shipped.
    No doubt! Quality and value at its best!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post

not all of the blackspire guards are made to replace the big ring. They have a 104BCD big ring guard here:

Blackspire - 104 BCD Big Ring Protector | Blackspire

That will help protect the calf as well.

*edit - holy crap, that thing is $110*

Leg Injury - Sproket Protector Needed!

Experience and skill will stop most of those but I think most bikers wind up with a shark bite scar or similar at some time or another.

I got my ankle gouged out by one tooth of my chainring once. It happens.

The products above will do the trick. In the vast majority of cases, losing the big ring is not an issue at all.

Air Pirate
    Happened to my daughter at about 6-7 years of age on her Specialized Hotrock. She has a pretty good scar from the missing chunk of flesh.

I looked for something that would work on the little chainrings she had on that thing, but short of getting a whole new crankset with an integrated outer guard we were out of luck. If it was a full sized crank we would have gone bash guard.

In the end she told me she would just learn to ride without a bash guard. Her logic was, as she explained to me, that if I did not need to have a guard then she did not need one either. Since she had been "bitten" once, she was rather hyper-aware of the chainrings and the position of her leg in relation to them at all times. She wasn't afraid, just cautious. Within a month or so it was not an issue any more, as she rode without actively thinking about it.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Hey all, if you are looking at the BBG to keep from cutting your leg, think twice. They are nice, but the edges seem pretty sharp to me. When I put mine on my bike, this is the first thing I thought about.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    Hey all, if you are looking at the BBG to keep from cutting your leg, think twice. They are nice, but the edges seem pretty sharp to me. When I put mine on my bike, this is the first thing I thought about.
    You know, I've had mine for years now, but thinking back to when I got it I remember taking a fine metal file and filing down the edges. One side was very sharp. Anyhow a few minutes spent with a file back then and I haven't given any thought to the sharpness since then, until just now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How can this possibly be an experience issue? It doesn't make sense. You push yourself - you get hurt, experience has nothing to do with it.

I have a chainring scar on my shin, I consider it a badge of honour

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Smile

Thank you to everyone for your help! I think we are going to go with the BBG Guard and a file. I need to contact them and figure out what setup will work for her/my bike. I think I'm going to get one for my bike too - for the protection and maybe it will help me get over logs a little better. I definitely want to keep all three sprockets. I don't use it all the time, but definitely enough that I would miss not having it - there is always that road that you need to go on too. I enjoy going as fast as I can. If there is something works and allows for all three sprockets, great.

Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Sounds like she needs more time becoming comfortable with easy trails and basic bike operation before she starts tackling steeper hills, etc. Not meant to be a putdown - everyone has to build their skills over time or risk staples in their leg or worse. Who's idea was it to go up this hill? Hopefully not yours.
    Thanks for your 2 cents Freaky! _____________ - Insert what I feel like saying to you, but that's not worth it. You have no idea about her experience level, where we were riding, what kind of hill we were on, so just keep those comments to yourself. There are numerous people, with I'm sure various experience levels, who have posted here who have had similar experiences. Bottom line - accidents happen. I don't care how good you are..... In an ideal world you can keep your leg away from it if you are a perfect rider, but you could also totally crash and not have a choice about what is happening with your body/bike. What if it lands on your skull? Very low probability of something like this happening, but I've heard of odder things! If there is a way to protect her for $40, I'm all for it. I just don't want it to happen again.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Treill View Post
    Thanks for your 2 cents Freaky! _____________ - Insert what I feel like saying to you, but that's not worth it. You have no idea about her experience level, where we were riding, what kind of hill we were on, so just keep those comments to yourself. There are numerous people, with I'm sure various experience levels, who have posted here who have had similar experiences. Bottom line - accidents happen. I don't care how good you are..... In an ideal world you can keep your leg away from it if you are a perfect rider, but you could also totally crash and not have a choice about what is happening with your body/bike. What if it lands on your skull? Very low probability of something like this happening, but I've heard of odder things! If there is a way to protect her for $40, I'm all for it. I just don't want it to happen again.
    Treill...this response to Freakybro seems a bit heavy handed. I am sure he meant no disrespect (he did say it was not meant as a putdown). I understand your protectiveness, but there is no need to lash out at the guy.

Hogdog also posted where he did not think this could be an experience issue. There are a lot of things in play here, a lot of factors that can lead to someone getting hurt like this when riding. Experience plays a huge part in how well we do in keeping out of harms way off-road, and yes, the unknown and "accidents" do happen...it is not a perfect world, as you said. It is impossible to point to any one thing and say "THAT is the cause!"

You can do a lot of things to try to remedy the problem, such as the bash ring, or putting in more time riding the specific obstacle to get more skill on it. You can reduce risk, and the potential for the unknown and accidents is lowered as well.
    You did well asking for help here on MTBR. The discussion helps all who read it to be aware of a potential problem and the possible solutions. Good job, all involved.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Who's idea was it to go up this hill? Hopefully not yours.
    Understood, but this part crosses the line.

The "hill" that it happened on was about 4 foot tall and she has riden on this trail multiple times.

The issue isn't how it happened.

mtbr member
    As said before, remove the big ring and install a bash guard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    As said before, remove the big ring and install a bash guard.
    Will the BBG guard not serve the same purpose and keep three rings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast