Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Leg armour for xc

    Too bad for me, I'm recovering from 2 broken legs and a crushed foot... Good news is that I am back on the bike. It is easier to ride than walk! I now have to wear leg armor even for xc riding...

    Question is, can anyone recommend leg armour that is light, cool, and stay's in place while pedaling?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,428

    RC COLa & a moon pie

    Quote Originally Posted by jkom67
    Question is, can anyone recommend leg armour that is light, cool, and stay's in place while pedaling?
    You're more likely to have a knee injury unless you're riding in the desert and run into cactus or yucca. I've no evidence on this except from my own personal experience.

    I'd get some cheaper knee pads as they fit most of your criteria, especially if you're just riding XC stuff. I just bought a pair of these to see if I could reduce my sick days this year.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    You're more likely to have a knee injury unless you're riding in the desert and run into cactus or yucca. I've no evidence on this except from my own personal experience.

    I'd get some cheaper knee pads as they fit most of your criteria, especially if you're just riding XC stuff. I just bought a pair of these to see if I could reduce my sick days this year.
    Thanks. I need protection on shin area in particular, so will need full length armor....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    There was one time that I wish I had shin protection...I crashed and got a two inch long sliver stuck right into it. Looked down, saw it sticking out and was amazed how big it was when I removed it. The guy I was riding with flipped out but I was fine thankfully.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    May I ask why you need armor now? I personally broke my leg very severely while mountain biking (distal spiral butterfly fracture of right tib/fib), and have ridden with two others who have had severe leg injuries. One guy was MISSING parts of his foot from a Vietnam injury.

    They don't, and I don't, wear leg armor.
    :wq

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    762
    tib fib's are knarly
    ive done that twice to my left leg

    its pretty nasty looking at your leg, bent at a right angle, between your knee and ankle
    Racerick
    "The older I get, the faster I was"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    May I ask why you need armor now? I personally broke my leg very severely while mountain biking (distal spiral butterfly fracture of right tib/fib), and have ridden with two others who have had severe leg injuries. One guy was MISSING parts of his foot from a Vietnam injury.

    They don't, and I don't, wear leg armor.
    The right leg has been broken three times in the same a place. It's now very sensitive, the slightest knock and it swells readily...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    Why does your leg keep breaking in the same spot? I don't know anything about armor, btw, now I'm just curious.
    :wq

  9. #9
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Yeah, me too...

    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Why does your leg keep breaking in the same spot? I don't know anything about armor, btw, now I'm just curious.

    It doesn't make sense that it keeps breaking in the same location.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Ok 1st time 1995, motocross accident, set improperly. 2nd time 1998, rebroken at hospital and underwent ilazarov procedure to correct curvature in leg due to doctors mistake first time. 3rd time 2008, ran over by car while a pedestrian, both legs broken, right foot crushed. I now have atitanium rod in the right tib, should be good to go.

    Now, about armor, stil looking for suggestions....

  11. #11
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767

    Wow...

    Quote Originally Posted by jkom67
    Ok 1st time 1995, motocross accident, set improperly. 2nd time 1998, rebroken at hospital and underwent ilazarov procedure to correct curvature in leg due to doctors mistake first time. 3rd time 2008, ran over by car while a pedestrian, both legs broken, right foot crushed. I now have atitanium rod in the right tib, should be good to go.

    Now, about armor, stil looking for suggestions....

    Remind me not to hike or ride motorcycles with you.....

    Regarding armor for XC: I'd ask the question over on the DH forum if I were you. You'll get much more qualified advice over there. I'd also combine a couple of your posts to eliminate having to explain your history again.

    Good luck.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    235

    sixsixone

    I use sixsixone veggie wrap knee pads. they stay in place for me though others have complained that they don't. they also have a shin guard that can be attached to the knee pad or worn separately. http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...f-9f1bbc354cbc

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    Quote Originally Posted by jkom67
    Ok 1st time 1995, motocross accident, set improperly. 2nd time 1998, rebroken at hospital and underwent ilazarov procedure to correct curvature in leg due to doctors mistake first time. 3rd time 2008, ran over by car while a pedestrian, both legs broken, right foot crushed. I now have atitanium rod in the right tib, should be good to go.

    Now, about armor, stil looking for suggestions....
    Ouch. I never, ever want to break my leg again. I couldn't imagine three times, and one time with both of em broken. FWIW, I find that I rarely get hit in the legs with rocks and such while riding. It does happen from time to time, and only once in two years have I taken a rock directly in the break site. That hurt like a b1tch. But, for me I risk the rocks for the trade off of no discomfort from armor. Everyone's break is different though, and how we react and recover is different too. I hope you find something that works.
    :wq

  14. #14
    Ride Instigator
    Reputation: Ricko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,065
    Soccer shinguards maybe? I've never had occasion to use them and I don't know how well they'd stay up bit it seems like an option that wouldn't cost you an arm and a ...LEG .

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks lads....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    558
    I wear My Leg armour no matter what when I'm riding off road , CX, DH , Free ride , even XC Racing.

    I love the fox "launch" Knee/Shin Gaurds.

    http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=29027001F.jpg

    I had the SIXSIXONE's before and the Fox 911's but Found both of those didn't stay in place as well.

    I also Have a Set of SixSixOne Elbow/Forearm Pads I wear about 50% of the time .
    I'm Better known as Splat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •