Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Learning to jump with Clipless and long Stem ??

I suck at this jumping bizzo..still a newbie but have done a skills clinic. With using flats my feet don't feel very secure and it slows me down. Are going to go clipless soon and wonder if this is a good or bad idea??
    Also I have a feeling of going over the bars often , no matter how much I try to move my weight back. Have a 90mm stem and flat bars. Would a shorter stem help or would it make the steering too twitchy ? This is on a Hardtail 29er.

Thanks!

official eMpTyBRain
    Drop to a 60mm stem. That's a little shorter but it won't shock you and it will help bring balance to your bike. Make sure to move your saddle back accordingly.

Clipless pedals will do wonders for you. More control, more precise control, more efficiency. Just practice for a few weeks clipping in and out to get a feel for it before you go wild.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Wow 60mm.?! I would need a setback seatpost to go back further and then my pedal position will be off a bit. Does this really matter or is it all about compromise ?

mtbr member
    I'm a newb still too, and I find that clipless makes it much easier to pop. It makes me feel more secure that when I land my feet will still be in contact with the pedals, but it can also help on pulling up on the bike a bit. Although that tends to be smaller pops and things. I can't say I've really hit too many 'real' jumps.
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp 29
    IMBA Member
    Team J3 :: http://www.ridej3.com

undercover brother
    Learning to control your bike in jumps and rough sections with flats is the best idea. Then switch to clipless and watch your confidence and control improve vastly. Or you could stay on flats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beater32 View Post
    I suck at this jumping bizzo..still a newbie but have done a skills clinic. With using flats my feet don't feel very secure and it slows me down. Are going to go clipless soon and wonder if this is a good or bad idea??
    Also I have a feeling of going over the bars often , no matter how much I try to move my weight back. Have a 90mm stem and flat bars. Would a shorter stem help or would it make the steering too twitchy ? This is on a Hardtail 29er.

Thanks!
    are you on a frame size that fits you properly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Going to a shorter stem will help drastically with bike handling and reducing the feeling that you will go OTB and I agree 60mm is a good place to start. If you have narrow bars, go to wide bars at the same time and that will also help. It makes a huge difference. I would keep the saddle in the correct position for pedaling and see how that works with the shorter stem before you move it around.

I read this article, tried it and it completely changed my ability to ride tough terrain fast (or at all).

BetterRide Mountain Bike Skills Tips

official eMpTyBRain
    Thanks for the feedback. Wow 60mm.?! I would need a setback seatpost to go back further and then my pedal position will be off a bit. Does this really matter or is it all about compromise ?
    The difference between a 90mm stem and a 60mm stem is barely 1.25". I agree that you should also go with a wider bar, perhaps a mini riser. You won't need to move your saddle back very much, if any with a wider bar and shorter stem.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Do yourself a favor and learn to jump on flats for proper technique. In fact, learn to ride in general on flats and then go over to clips if you're so inclined. You'll be a better rider for it and will have build a skill set that most riders will never have.

Professional Crastinator
    A 90mm stem is not that long.
    If your top tube is long, or like SandSpur asked, if your frame is too big, you will get that nose-dive feeling.

Higher bars for a heads-up position, as opposed to closer bars, might make it better.

You could also lower your saddle for jump practice. That helps a lot!

I find I move my feet around a LOT when I jump - so I like flats for that so I don't come unclipped.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with what Tangaroo and Dougie said. Learning these skills on flat pedals will ensure you are using proper mechanics to do so. Using clipless because it is "easier" ensures that you are doing it incorrectly. Once you become comfortable with these skills on flats, switching to clipless will allow you to fully take advantage of the "benefits" they offer.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I grew up on a bike, and currently use a 110mm stem. I have no problems jumping my ride, setup for XC racing.
    I'm 5'8", my bike is an 18" frame with a 23.3" toptube.

mtbr member
    I know some people think strapped is stupid or dangerous (I disagree), but I've always had flats. I have raced on flats. And I am not some trickster, big-drop artist. Just a normal guy. And I have almost always been strapped. I've tried "clippless" setups many times over 23yrs and I just do not like them and have never seen an advantage. Shimano, Crankbros... doesn't matter. Not my thing.

So what I would tell you is to strap in. Blaq Straps, Power Grips, or roll your own with some spectra. Give it a whirl.

No clue what the stem length has to do with anything. Same basic technique.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. My frame is a 20inch and i'm just over 6ft so I think the bike size is ok. I have 760mm flat bars and I always have my seat down for practising.
    I'm not trying anything g crazy,the kids at the part can do much better than me.
    Have been trying over a series of small tabletops and find the first is ok but then my feet start to move around.
    Thought of getting better shoes for flats but I can swap to clipless cheaper and i'm keen to try...

Perpetual n00b
    Thanks for all the replies. My frame is a 20inch and i'm just over 6ft so I think the bike size is ok. I have 760mm flat bars and I always have my seat down for practising.
    I'm not trying anything g crazy,the kids at the part can do much better than me.
    Have been trying over a series of small tabletops and find the first is ok but then my feet start to move around.
    Thought of getting better shoes for flats but I can swap to clipless cheaper and i'm keen to try...
    6' tall, 20 inch frame, 90mm stem, 760mm bars? That sounds way too stretched out in all directions for someone around 6' tall... Do you have exceptionally long arms?
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nope-ha! I'm a bit on the lanky side though.That's why I was thinking of a shorter stem. The bars are new and are a slightly different sweep that forward about 10mm to the previous ones. I like the width though but can trim down if I need to.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    It sounds like you're on an XC race bike (hardtail, flat bars, stretched way out) trying to do tricks in the park. If that's what you want to do, maybe you're better off with a different bike.

Before you start tinkering with bits and pieces, you should check to make sure your basic bike setup and sizing is correct, or even close, to begin with. A fantastic online sizing calculator can be found HERE. It takes all relevant aspects of your anatomy into consideration. I've used this many many times for doing initial setups on bikes, and it provides a very good starting point that usually won't require much tinkering (will give you bike and setup dimensions for XC, All Mountain, and Gravity). The first thing I'd recommend doing is using it and checking your bike sizing and setup, then get it dialed in and try riding it for awhile to see how it works for you. Then, if you think it needs improvement, try fiddling with other aspects of your setup like stem length, bar rise, bar width, etc.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks i'll check that out. I'm not trying to do anything fancy at all. I'd just like to be able to clear the smallish jumps that appear on the trails.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Thanks i'll check that out. I'm not trying to do anything fancy at all. I'd just like to be able to clear the smallish jumps that appear on the trails.
    Then I'd start with the online sizing calculator and verify that your bike is set up properly. I'd be willing to bet that it needs some adjustment, and once you tweak it you will feel much more balanced and confident. As long as the frame is the correct size, everything else, with the exception of stem length, can be adjusted without requiring any new parts.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It seems I have the right bike size. But I've just had a sit on it and my arms are straight with no kink when I grab the bars. That can't be good...

mtbr member
    If you're really into learning to jump, I recommend you pick up a used jump bike from the pinkbike forums and learn on that. Jumping on a cross country bike is much harder. Something with a really short seat tube - giving you room to pump - is better then a bike designed for efficient pedaling. There's really no worse bike to learn jumping on than a 29'r designed for XC. It's just set up for a body position and completely different riding style.

As others have mentioned, you should learn to be comfortable jumping on flats. Switching to clipped in will just mask bad technique and lead to other, possibly worse, problems.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    I rode flats for a long time and got good with hitting jumps but I switched to clipless and I'll never look back! People seem to be scared of not being able to unclip while on dismount but the only time I have fallen because of my clips was when I was standing still (a little embarrassing). Any other time that I've been falling, unclipping just comes completely naturally with the way your feet move. My point is that you have way more control of your bike at any given moment while you are clipped in. Stem wise, I say definitely shorten it up if your arms are fully extended! Come back about 20mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is my bike. Have a cheap 60mm Stem coming to try out. I should be able to put this over small jumps i'm hoping ??

Level 5 Rider!
    Once your setup is done and you have the sizing all set up. It's practice, practice, practice. I had trouble with my feet staying planted so I just went around the street and hit rounded curbs, ramps, protruding round rocks. Basically anything that got me off the ground. Has helped a fair bit with knowing what to do when I hit stuff on the trails. Still didn't stop a rock from throwing me over the bars the other day, but hey learning from that too.

You may want to think about raising your handlebars just a bit, may help as you are set up aggressive for a new rider. At least that is what I have heard... I'm a newb so don't trust me too much. lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

B.Ike
    There's been some advice to put your seat back to compensate for a shorter stem, and I've got to chime and say that in my experience, the fore/aft position for me isn't a variable I'm able to fudge. On my bikes, if I put the saddle forward or back I can't seem to sit differently to make it work.
    A shorter stem requires a longer handle bar to get your body in the same position as before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast