Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Leaky camelback mouthpiece

I didn't know where else on the site to post: I have a Camelback knock-off (Sierra Designs) that I've already switched out one broken mouthpiece (or whatever it's called). Here's the problem. I'm riding along, with the mouthpiece capped, but it still drips, annoyingly, onto my leg. It's not so bad if the weather is warm, but when it's cold out, I get wet AND cold. Any suggestions? Is there a mouthpiece anyone has found that doesn't leak?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    a non-knock off?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sure. A "knock-on" so to speak. Anything that doesn't leak.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    My camelbak mouthpiece only leaks when I fail to close the valve and it's 4 or 5 years old now.

Not sure it's compatible with your current bladder, but you could just go get a camelbak replacement bladder and use it in your current pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kcook
    Camelback [size=+2]knock-off[/size] (Sierra Designs)
    Hold on....There's the problem right there!

Quote Originally Posted by kcook
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, Buy a Camelbak.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Really?

Is Camelbak the only company that makes these things well? (Serious question)

Ride Instigator

EDR
    Is Camelbak the only company that makes these things well? (Serious question)
    Camelbak makes a high quality product. It's not the end-all be-all of hydration packs by any means but there is no denying it is a superior product in almost every way compared to 'knock-offs'. The zippers last forever, the stitching never rips, the mouthpiece only leaks after years of use, and if it does leak it has a shut-off valve just above the bite valve that you can flick to stop the drip.

Go get a $5 Camelbak bite valve and make it work on your pack. Shouldn't be a problem as the end is tapered, but I could be wrong.

My Camelbak brand mouthpiece (the plain one with no shut off valve) would leak like yours when I had a full pack, too much pressure I guess. For a long time I used the Camelbak mouthpiece with the shutoff valve to prevent the leak until it broke recently. The shop in the town I was visiting only had one of these http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom.../129/20305?g=1 which works great (so far, time will tell).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Tool
    Short of replacing the valve, you could blow a small bubble of air into the mouthpiece after each sip - this should keep it from dripping and is easier than toggling the shutoff valve if your mouthpiece is so equipped.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There is a lot of attention to this post for such an easy fix. You can buy just the bite valve at REI for a couple bucks. Problem fixed.

mtbr member
    My camelback mouthpiece started dribbling after a couple season's of use. For awhile, I would blow air back into the tube, to displace the water so that it wouldn't drip on my leg. Well, the result there was a big, balloon on my back.

So I went to the outdoor store and bought a new mouthpiece. Problem solved.

Sometimes, you just need to buy a new, whatever-it-is-that's-no-longer-working.

BTW, some camelback knockoffs are really good. My son has a North Face waterpack than I'm quite envious of.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dude that northface bag is bad-ass. I just got one. It's way better then camelbak.

wannabee
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    Dude that northface bag is bad-ass. I just got one. It's way better then camelbak.
    Which one?

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The zippers last forever, the stitching never rips, the mouthpiece only leaks after years of use, and if it does leak it has a shut-off valve just above the bite valve that you can flick to stop the drip.

Go get a $5 Camelbak bite valve and make it work on your pack. Shouldn't be a problem as the end is tapered, but I could be wrong.
    My one gripe on Camelbak is the shutoff valve is prone to being ripped out in the "closed" position. They need to redesign just that one part.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbikeboy
    Which one?
    http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=6U8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My problem with camelbak is they last way too long.I demoted my CB to fishing in salt water and it's still perfect.My Dakine bag gets smelly really fast.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about this post beacause I have a 3 week old Camelbak that is the best pack I've owned but, the mouthpiece leaks where it connects to the tube. Has anyone else had this prob and if so, how did you fix it? I could take the bite valve off the old pack but, this one is brand new so it seems a waste to toss it.
    "Hold it wide and let it slide" - Sam Hill.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem, and I did what pedalphile suggested...after drinking, I blow into the tube. That prevents drips.

Then I got a bigger pack so that the bladder isn't squeezed as much by gear, and the dripping stopped.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko

this guy knows, listen to him
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

ZEN RIDER!

Platypus

I ended up grabbing one of these. Its easy to fill & clean, plus you don't have to fuss with
    screwing a cap on or having it leak.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/platypus/big-zip-sl/

The bite valve is nice also. Camelback's bite valve also fits it if you need a replacement.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/platy...ow-bite-valve/
    Life in every breath

I've used a few different bladders over the years.

I HATED platypus. Plain and simple. The bite valve was leaky and the bladder died on me after 3 months. There was a "lifetime warranty" but the local gear shop I bought it from would not help me out and do an exchange. I had to go through cascade designs, which would have left me bladderless for weeks (and I needed a replacement in 2 days).

I bought a Camelbak bladder instead and I never had a problem. The screw top is a little tricky, but the bladder itself doesn't leak. Period. Camelbak's bite valve is the best, IMO.

I also have an old Hydrapak bladder. This is a good bladder, too, but I dislike the Hydrapak bite valve. You have to be too careful when you bite it or you'll pinch a hole in it. It also doesn't flow as well as Camelbak. My Hydrapak just died today after about 10yrs, and mainly just because I took the drink hose off a month or two ago (I needed a longer hose for a new pack I wanted to use) and the fittings were so old they cracked on me. I think I'll replace it with a new Hydrapak and replace the drink hose/bite valve immediately.

I've noticed the most variation and fuss with bite valves. If you don't like what you've got, then swap it with a camelbak one. The bladders themselves MOSTLY seem to work well, except the material Platypus uses doesn't hold up well if it scrunches (it develops creases and those creases become pinholes).

It seems to me that whether any funk develops in your bladder or not is largely dependent on the source of your water. I've only had problems with stuff growing in my bladder in places where the water at least in part came from surface water sources. When city water comes from groundwater in entirety, I don't seem to have any trouble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

camelbak mouthpeace

Hi
    im new to this so sorry if i posted in wrong thead, i got a argos value camelbak, its servered me well but the mouthpeace leaks badly on the last few time i have been out so i thought i would get a new mouthpeace but the end of mouthpeace is on the small side and is loose on the tubing, does any1 know of a quick fix to make it watertight till i can afford a new camelbak as money is tight being unemployed
    many thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My mule only leaked when a part of the mouthpiece was pierced by my teeth, replaced it and not a drip.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog39 View Post
    Hi
    im new to this so sorry if i posted in wrong thead, i got a argos value camelbak, its servered me well but the mouthpeace leaks badly on the last few time i have been out so i thought i would get a new mouthpeace but the end of mouthpeace is on the small side and is loose on the tubing, does any1 know of a quick fix to make it watertight till i can afford a new camelbak as money is tight being unemployed
    many thanks

Cut the hose about 3/4" shorter, re install the mouth piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast