Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Laser eye surgery to do or not to do?

I am considering laser eye surgery ...so i can stop bumping in to trees lol.

Any one done it ?
    Any negatives ?
    Any positives ?

I have to admit i find it scary, but boy would it be nice to kick the glasses in to touch

There is a 3 year intrest free credit offer with one UK company at the momment, so maybe a good time...All the feed back on their web site is positive, but thats not the same as getting some independant info from the real world ...so i thoght i would ask the forum..
    Last edited by mzungo; 12-31-2006 at 03:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Was 4 diopters shortsighted plus 1 diopter astigmatism. Lasik two years ago (at 45). Now perfect - 20:20+

Best investment ever = just do it ... (but find a good quack)

Nix

mtbr member
    Had PRK done 6+ years ago. PRK is the same correction surgery, they just get to the cornea differently. I was -4 in both eyes (could see the E at the top of the chart but it was pretty blurry. Now I'm 20/15 - little better in one eye, little worse in the other). Best think since sliced bread!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

www.derbyrims.com
    A friend did it 5 or 6 years ago at about age 50 "from the best doc" in the area. It worked great. He exchanged full-time glasses or contacts for reading glasses. But is now says he needs another laser treatment if possible. So ask about the longevity expectation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did it in 2002. Had mild asitgmitsm and was a -3 roughly in each eye. Went to the best Doc that I could find (don`t go in search of a deal when they are going to shoot a laser into your eye). Everything went fine. They found a very minor infection on the first day after the op and put my on different drops. Eyes felt dry for a couple of months - they gave me drops for that. Nigh vision can be effected in the short term for some people so I avoided driving at night for a couple weeks after. Supposedly the new lasers lessen this effect. The procedure is a little scary but very quick. The place i went gave you a valium before and by the time I walked in they could have done just about anything as I was flying high.

The guy above said about longevity - they cannot even guess on this especially if you are older. My Doc requested that I had 2-3 years of very little change in my sight prior which I had (my eyesight had roughly been the same perscription for 6-8 years). Eye sight can continue to degrade and they cannot fix that. A good doc will tell you that and say that if you want to continue not wearing lenses you may have to get touch up procedures in the future. I was told that I could get up to 3-4 more done but for you that will depend on how bad your sight is and how much material they remove in the first procedure.

Last time I was tested I was 20-13. I am very active and it was one of the best investments that I made so I did not have to worry about glasses or contacts when I was doing my activitites. Just go to a good doc and see if you can get references from people in your area that have had the procedure.
    Last edited by kaikara; 12-31-2006 at 11:52 AM.

neutiquam erro

Another possibility?

Save some coin, and go this route...

Do-it-Yourself LASIK

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great link Chris ... I have a friends to pass that on to!!!
    LoL
    Nix

mtbr member
    Uh, wow. No effing way! It's interesting that the doctor that invented it is wearing........Glasses! It even comes with a mild sedative and your own "post-op" facemask. Thanks for that link!
    Ride More

Ride Instigator

No Regrets...

I had Lasik done in August of 05 and am glad I did it. At 48yo I now have 20/20 vision for distance but I need to wear reading glasses for reading and close up work which is better then wearing bi-focals full time as I did before the surgery.

The surgery itself is a piece of cake and you just need to get yourself past that irrational element of fear....It's kinda' like that skinny bridge out there in the woods that you were hesitant (terrified??) to ride at first.

stay thirsty, my friends
    DO IT! I had it done a bit over 2 years ago now and have 20/20 vision. No better investment, IMO. You'll wonder why you never had it done before.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

I like Monkeys
    I had it done in 2000 and have had no problems and my sight was 20/12 when it was last checked. From what I understand you may still need reading glasses when you get older since the muscles that control close up focus get weaker with age. That has nothing to do with the lasik surgery. No regrets on my part.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Save some coin, and go this route...

Do-it-Yourself LASIK

Cheers, Chris
    If you go this route, do your worst eye first. If all goes well, proceed to the second. This way all is not lost if something goes wrong.

Or...maybe you could get a much better price from your eye Doc if you tell him that you know about the above...

Good luck either way!!

mtbr member

Aprill fool

Quote Originally Posted by ☻☻☻
    If you go this route, do your worst eye first. If all goes well, proceed to the second. This way all is not lost if something goes wrong.

Or...maybe you could get a much better price from your eye Doc if you tell him that you know about the above...

Good luck either way!!
    I think the do it your self was an aprill fool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    I think the do it your self was an aprill fool.
    WELL,,, never mind!!

[SIZE="1"](somebody might just be an icehole. )[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I work in the eyecare buisness . Im - 7.75 both eyes and im never gonna have a laser surgery. id rather have contact lenses and risk all sorts of infections than cutting my cornea and burn it with a laser. they cut a flap in your cornea to do the laser. This flap will never heal more than 15% tha mean you can reopen your eye very easily. The laser will make your cornea thinner that mean if the doc do his job poorely and dont calculate correctly (or care about ) your cornea tickness , the pressure inside your eye can make a bubble with your cornea.

The chaces that your surgery goes wrong are very slim but they are still there even in 2007. I dont know the actual numbers but even if it is 1/1000 failure rate i wont bet my eyes on that.

oh and btw i know a doc that do surgery for real (not like the joke above) and wear glasses

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Worked for me

33years old and had Laser eye surgery 3 years ago with outstanding results! 20/20 and the ability to get up and see the clock without searching for the glasses is priceless. Just do the research and find the best person to do the procedure... this is not an area where you want to be impulsive and get frugal.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBuddy
    I work in the eyecare buisness . Im - 7.75 both eyes and im never gonna have a laser surgery. id rather have contact lenses and risk all sorts of infections than cutting my cornea and burn it with a laser. they cut a flap in your cornea to do the laser. This flap will never heal more than 15% tha mean you can reopen your eye very easily. The laser will make your cornea thinner that mean if the doc do his job poorely and dont calculate correctly (or care about ) your cornea tickness , the pressure inside your eye can make a bubble with your cornea.

The chaces that your surgery goes wrong are very slim but they are still there even in 2007. I dont know the actual numbers but even if it is 1/1000 failure rate i wont bet my eyes on that.

oh and btw i know a doc that do surgery for real (not like the joke above) and wear glasses
    And what do you do in the "eyecare business"? Clean up the office after it is closed?

Nevermind.

mtbr member
    And what do you do in the "eyecare business"? Clean up the office after it is closed?

Nevermind.

I fix or install most machines in an ophtalmologist or optometrist office . I might not be the best person to talk about the subject but i know better about that than everybody in this thread repliying its soo perfect and flawless

Like someone else said on this forum its not all sunny sky and hand jobs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sure there can be problems but the same can be said about putting a little piece of plastic on your eyeball for hours a day. I had a friend who wore her contacts a bit too much and ended up getting a serious infection and was told to leave them off for 6 months so they could heal. The chances of a serious problem - say blindness - are extremely small with the laser procedure.

Just because the doctor doesn't have it done doesn't mean anything. Most docs are arrogant SOB's who wouldn't let another doc touch them because they think they could do a better job. If it means anything the doctor that did mine had the procedure done on him.

The reason that most are positive experiences just means that the vast majority do have positive experiences.

I fix or install most machines in an ophtalmologist or optometrist office . I might not be the best person to talk about the subject but i know better about that than everybody in this thread repliying its soo perfect and flawless

mtbr member

And I'm gonna ask my TV repairman, how to invest in Dotcom stock.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Custom User Title

I had RK (Radio Keratotomy) in 1993

They used diamond blades back then

My insurance covered it at the time and when the word got out about 20 people in my company got it done.

It took me about a year for my eyes to totally settle in. Many others had instant results.

One of the warnings was that reading glasses would be needed at an earlier age. Now I am 38 and still do not need reading glasses. And I read blueprints all day long for work.

They had to do 2 surgeries in my left eye (slight adjustment was needed after the 1st) and 1 in the right. I probably could have had one more in the right as I was left with a slight Astigmatism. This was one of the side effects for me because I didn't have an Astigmatism prior to the surgeries. At night lighting can be slightly distorted in my right eye but I can deal. I've had no urge to get a slight adjustment with the laser.

I have no regrets getting this done. I have great day and night vision now and don't need to mess with contacts. The main reason why I did this was for surfing. I got tired of losing contacts. My barrell riding improved tremendously because I no longer had to close my eyes as soon as I got in the tube

There are side effects that can be dramatic so be aware of the risks. Everyone in the minority that has suffered from these risks were like most of us who probably didn't think it would happen to them. But are now pobably wishing they never did it.

mtbr member
    Yes the risk of laser are very small mabe not as much as you think but still very small and small enough so you dont hear about the rare cases that happened. I still prefer to have a serious infection with contact lenses than a laser surgery because a laser surgery will weaken your eye a lot and permanently. Im not saying laser surgery should be avoided at all cost im just saying I dont want it for ME If you are ready to take the risk thats fine I'm sure your happy with your eyes now like most people that had it done

I went to 3 laser surgery offices for various repair and installations they all look very professional but when you spend time fixing a machine with your dirty tools and everything while there is a patient 3 feet from me getting a surgery because the doc dont want me to wait at the end caus i cost too much per hour. or this other office that had 1/4 inch of dust everywhere because of renovations and still do surgeryes or the last office that get sued because they got someone blind. Hmm i hope there are better places than theses 3 out there

Yeah im sure there are better places but still laser surgery is all about cutting and burning my cornea sorry ill pass on this one. A forum is a place to share opinions this is mine

mtbr member
    And I'm gonna ask my TV repairman, how to invest in Dotcom stock.
    You shoud rather ask your mom and dad how to invest your coins in your piggy bank

banned
    You shoud rather ask your mom and dad how to invest your coins in your piggy bank
    You would be better off if you just stopped posting.

outdoor miner
    Don't take the sh1t-flinging to seriously.
    -This message is hidden because 29Colossus is on your ignore list.-

Some of these posters are nutjobs that aren't worth giving the time of day to (;
    [SIZE=-1]Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast