Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Laser eye surgery to do or not to do?

I am considering laser eye surgery ...so i can stop bumping in to trees lol.

Any one done it ?
    Any negatives ?
    Any positives ?

I have to admit i find it scary, but boy would it be nice to kick the glasses in to touch

There is a 3 year intrest free credit offer with one UK company at the momment, so maybe a good time...All the feed back on their web site is positive, but thats not the same as getting some independant info from the real world ...so i thoght i would ask the forum..
    Last edited by mzungo; 12-31-2006 at 04:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Was 4 diopters shortsighted plus 1 diopter astigmatism. Lasik two years ago (at 45). Now perfect - 20:20+

Best investment ever = just do it ... (but find a good quack)

Nix

mtbr member
    Had PRK done 6+ years ago. PRK is the same correction surgery, they just get to the cornea differently. I was -4 in both eyes (could see the E at the top of the chart but it was pretty blurry. Now I'm 20/15 - little better in one eye, little worse in the other). Best think since sliced bread!

www.derbyrims.com
    A friend did it 5 or 6 years ago at about age 50 "from the best doc" in the area. It worked great. He exchanged full-time glasses or contacts for reading glasses. But is now says he needs another laser treatment if possible. So ask about the longevity expectation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did it in 2002. Had mild asitgmitsm and was a -3 roughly in each eye. Went to the best Doc that I could find (don`t go in search of a deal when they are going to shoot a laser into your eye). Everything went fine. They found a very minor infection on the first day after the op and put my on different drops. Eyes felt dry for a couple of months - they gave me drops for that. Nigh vision can be effected in the short term for some people so I avoided driving at night for a couple weeks after. Supposedly the new lasers lessen this effect. The procedure is a little scary but very quick. The place i went gave you a valium before and by the time I walked in they could have done just about anything as I was flying high.

The guy above said about longevity - they cannot even guess on this especially if you are older. My Doc requested that I had 2-3 years of very little change in my sight prior which I had (my eyesight had roughly been the same perscription for 6-8 years). Eye sight can continue to degrade and they cannot fix that. A good doc will tell you that and say that if you want to continue not wearing lenses you may have to get touch up procedures in the future. I was told that I could get up to 3-4 more done but for you that will depend on how bad your sight is and how much material they remove in the first procedure.

Last time I was tested I was 20-13. I am very active and it was one of the best investments that I made so I did not have to worry about glasses or contacts when I was doing my activitites. Just go to a good doc and see if you can get references from people in your area that have had the procedure.
    Last edited by kaikara; 12-31-2006 at 12:52 PM.

neutiquam erro

Another possibility?

Save some coin, and go this route...

Do-it-Yourself LASIK

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great link Chris ... I have a friends to pass that on to!!!
    LoL
    Nix

mtbr member
    Uh, wow. No effing way! It's interesting that the doctor that invented it is wearing........Glasses! It even comes with a mild sedative and your own "post-op" facemask. Thanks for that link!
    Ride More

Ride Instigator

No Regrets...

I had Lasik done in August of 05 and am glad I did it. At 48yo I now have 20/20 vision for distance but I need to wear reading glasses for reading and close up work which is better then wearing bi-focals full time as I did before the surgery.

The surgery itself is a piece of cake and you just need to get yourself past that irrational element of fear....It's kinda' like that skinny bridge out there in the woods that you were hesitant (terrified??) to ride at first.

stay thirsty, my friends
    DO IT! I had it done a bit over 2 years ago now and have 20/20 vision. No better investment, IMO. You'll wonder why you never had it done before.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

I like Monkeys
    I had it done in 2000 and have had no problems and my sight was 20/12 when it was last checked. From what I understand you may still need reading glasses when you get older since the muscles that control close up focus get weaker with age. That has nothing to do with the lasik surgery. No regrets on my part.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Save some coin, and go this route...

Do-it-Yourself LASIK

Cheers, Chris
    If you go this route, do your worst eye first. If all goes well, proceed to the second. This way all is not lost if something goes wrong.

Or...maybe you could get a much better price from your eye Doc if you tell him that you know about the above...

Good luck either way!!

mtbr member

Aprill fool

Quote Originally Posted by ☻☻☻
    If you go this route, do your worst eye first. If all goes well, proceed to the second. This way all is not lost if something goes wrong.

Or...maybe you could get a much better price from your eye Doc if you tell him that you know about the above...

Good luck either way!!
    I think the do it your self was an aprill fool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    I think the do it your self was an aprill fool.
    WELL,,, never mind!!

(somebody might just be an icehole. )

mtbr member
    I work in the eyecare buisness . Im - 7.75 both eyes and im never gonna have a laser surgery. id rather have contact lenses and risk all sorts of infections than cutting my cornea and burn it with a laser. they cut a flap in your cornea to do the laser. This flap will never heal more than 15% tha mean you can reopen your eye very easily. The laser will make your cornea thinner that mean if the doc do his job poorely and dont calculate correctly (or care about ) your cornea tickness , the pressure inside your eye can make a bubble with your cornea.

The chaces that your surgery goes wrong are very slim but they are still there even in 2007. I dont know the actual numbers but even if it is 1/1000 failure rate i wont bet my eyes on that.

oh and btw i know a doc that do surgery for real (not like the joke above) and wear glasses

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Worked for me

33years old and had Laser eye surgery 3 years ago with outstanding results! 20/20 and the ability to get up and see the clock without searching for the glasses is priceless. Just do the research and find the best person to do the procedure... this is not an area where you want to be impulsive and get frugal.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBuddy
    I work in the eyecare buisness . Im - 7.75 both eyes and im never gonna have a laser surgery. id rather have contact lenses and risk all sorts of infections than cutting my cornea and burn it with a laser. they cut a flap in your cornea to do the laser. This flap will never heal more than 15% tha mean you can reopen your eye very easily. The laser will make your cornea thinner that mean if the doc do his job poorely and dont calculate correctly (or care about ) your cornea tickness , the pressure inside your eye can make a bubble with your cornea.

The chaces that your surgery goes wrong are very slim but they are still there even in 2007. I dont know the actual numbers but even if it is 1/1000 failure rate i wont bet my eyes on that.

oh and btw i know a doc that do surgery for real (not like the joke above) and wear glasses
    And what do you do in the "eyecare business"? Clean up the office after it is closed?

Nevermind.

mtbr member
    And what do you do in the "eyecare business"? Clean up the office after it is closed?

Nevermind.

I fix or install most machines in an ophtalmologist or optometrist office . I might not be the best person to talk about the subject but i know better about that than everybody in this thread repliying its soo perfect and flawless

Like someone else said on this forum its not all sunny sky and hand jobs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sure there can be problems but the same can be said about putting a little piece of plastic on your eyeball for hours a day. I had a friend who wore her contacts a bit too much and ended up getting a serious infection and was told to leave them off for 6 months so they could heal. The chances of a serious problem - say blindness - are extremely small with the laser procedure.

Just because the doctor doesn't have it done doesn't mean anything. Most docs are arrogant SOB's who wouldn't let another doc touch them because they think they could do a better job. If it means anything the doctor that did mine had the procedure done on him.

The reason that most are positive experiences just means that the vast majority do have positive experiences.

I fix or install most machines in an ophtalmologist or optometrist office . I might not be the best person to talk about the subject but i know better about that than everybody in this thread repliying its soo perfect and flawless

mtbr member

And I'm gonna ask my TV repairman, how to invest in Dotcom stock.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Custom User Title

I had RK (Radio Keratotomy) in 1993

They used diamond blades back then

My insurance covered it at the time and when the word got out about 20 people in my company got it done.

It took me about a year for my eyes to totally settle in. Many others had instant results.

One of the warnings was that reading glasses would be needed at an earlier age. Now I am 38 and still do not need reading glasses. And I read blueprints all day long for work.

They had to do 2 surgeries in my left eye (slight adjustment was needed after the 1st) and 1 in the right. I probably could have had one more in the right as I was left with a slight Astigmatism. This was one of the side effects for me because I didn't have an Astigmatism prior to the surgeries. At night lighting can be slightly distorted in my right eye but I can deal. I've had no urge to get a slight adjustment with the laser.

I have no regrets getting this done. I have great day and night vision now and don't need to mess with contacts. The main reason why I did this was for surfing. I got tired of losing contacts. My barrell riding improved tremendously because I no longer had to close my eyes as soon as I got in the tube

There are side effects that can be dramatic so be aware of the risks. Everyone in the minority that has suffered from these risks were like most of us who probably didn't think it would happen to them. But are now pobably wishing they never did it.

mtbr member
    Yes the risk of laser are very small mabe not as much as you think but still very small and small enough so you dont hear about the rare cases that happened. I still prefer to have a serious infection with contact lenses than a laser surgery because a laser surgery will weaken your eye a lot and permanently. Im not saying laser surgery should be avoided at all cost im just saying I dont want it for ME If you are ready to take the risk thats fine I'm sure your happy with your eyes now like most people that had it done

I went to 3 laser surgery offices for various repair and installations they all look very professional but when you spend time fixing a machine with your dirty tools and everything while there is a patient 3 feet from me getting a surgery because the doc dont want me to wait at the end caus i cost too much per hour. or this other office that had 1/4 inch of dust everywhere because of renovations and still do surgeryes or the last office that get sued because they got someone blind. Hmm i hope there are better places than theses 3 out there

Yeah im sure there are better places but still laser surgery is all about cutting and burning my cornea sorry ill pass on this one. A forum is a place to share opinions this is mine

mtbr member
    And I'm gonna ask my TV repairman, how to invest in Dotcom stock.
    You shoud rather ask your mom and dad how to invest your coins in your piggy bank

banned
    You shoud rather ask your mom and dad how to invest your coins in your piggy bank
    You would be better off if you just stopped posting.

outdoor miner
    Don't take the sh1t-flinging to seriously.
    -This message is hidden because 29Colossus is on your ignore list.-

Some of these posters are nutjobs that aren't worth giving the time of day to (;
    Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It is amazing how quickly a person's opinion is discredited because the post was written poorly. While ActionBuddy might have an valid point, most people will not listen because they believe that somebody who cannot write correctly is obviously an idiot. The way a person writes reflects on their credibility. I'm not saying that ActionBuddy is necessarily an idiot, but he is clearly perceived to be one.

All that being said, my optometrist still wears glasses.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules

Ditto

I agree... I'm 33 years old and also had it done over 3years ago, and am still very satisfied (and happy) that I had it done. I can't remember my vision before, but I was more than a "corrective" prescription, and to this day, can nearly see perfectly. For the procedure, if they offer "relaxers" before the surgery, take them... just to reduce the nervousness. The next few days it feels like you have sand in your eyes, and the drops become anoying, but that all subsides. Also, during the first couple of weeks, my night vision did in fact have the "HALO" effect, but they told me about that, and sure, enough, it came and went as they said it would. All of my "side effects" went away within a couple of weeks. I would probably benefit from a "follow-up" procedure, but honestly, I don't need it... still ride, swim and "&^%#" w/o glasses!!!

Like they say, you get what you pay for, and if I'm right, you've probably got 2 or 3 bikes and tons of bike $h1t that you've probably spent thousands on... don't take your eye to into a "shop" with a coupon!!! Find the biggest name, spend some time on researching that DOCTOR (not some "operator" of the machine), ensure that you check the ALL respective license bureaus, ensure there are no (or at least minimal complaints - some people regardless of how many times you tell them about the precautions, will still complain about whatever puts some $ in their pockets), just be aware of any/all potential issues and be willing to accept those risks.... just be aware.

I hope I haven't scared you. Yes, I was extremely nervous, but I truly understood what I was doing and the changes of those things happening... just like I take a chance that I won't do a face plant into the ground by going OTB on a trail ride.

p.s. For what it's worth, I'm encouraging my Fiance and some friends do the procedure (at the same NO-COUPON DOCTOR - not the local "cheapest" Mom&Pop shop)... Sorry guys, no LBS recommendations here.

Good luck, I hope you make an educated decision, and all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by daguer
    33years old and had Laser eye surgery 3 years ago with outstanding results! 20/20 and the ability to get up and see the clock without searching for the glasses is priceless. Just do the research and find the best person to do the procedure... this is not an area where you want to be impulsive and get frugal.

Double-metric mtb man
    Another alternative is AOK (advanced orthokeratology) if someone does it in your area. Basically, you wear a hard contact while you sleep at night and the lense reshapes your eye. Pros: You don't have to wear anything during the day and you can adjust it if your eyesight changes. You can even go back to "normal" just by not wearing the lenses. It is also generally less expensive than laser. Cons: You still have to deal with contacts and all the trappings associated there. There can be some "halo-ing" in the nigh vision, just like in laser, but it is generally less severe.

For myself, I've been an AOK patient for 6 years now. I was (am) near-sighted with a roughly -2.00 perscription. Using AOK, I start the day 20/15 and drop down to 20/20 by the end of the day.

Just another option to consider.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

Thanks all for the feed back

The company I am looking at is called "Ultralase" one of the bigest here in the UK with clinics across the UK.

My percription is only
    Right eye 1.00 sphere

left eye 0.75 sphere,Cyl,0.50 Axis 30.

I only where glasses for distance and TV type activity over 8 feet or so.my vision has not changed in 20 years, MTB is where i notice it the most especially in poor light and my night vision is very poor.

mtbr member
    OH WOW! You are really funny! I see what you've done. You imply that I'm immature by saying I need to ask my parents about a piggy bank. How clever. Jokes on me. You really got me. After all I was asking for it. Wow. You are a hoot.

Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leximog
    Don't take the sh1t-flinging to seriously.
    -This message is hidden because 29Colossus is on your ignore list.-

Some of these posters are nutjobs that aren't worth giving the time of day to (;
    YEAH!!! HELL YEAH!!!!

Please.... please put me on ignore and then talk about me. Nothing could be more priceless than that.

Poor lexy.

Category Winner

I got a hand job thrown in with my lasik surgery. I think the skies were partly cloudy that day.

BTW: I was not impressed with the assembly line mentality of my lasik eye factory. I was not given what I felt was sufficient info about possible after care. I ended up needing once an hour eye drops for (about) two months. I had to do the Trans Rockies and three hundred mile races in that condition. Originally I was told everything would be fine. I was supposed to have been done with once an hour drops well before my first big race.
    They always semed like they rushed me out the door once they got my money. I suffered a fair amount of pain in the 24 hours after the surgery.
    Am I glad I had it done? Yes.
    Last edited by teamdicky; 01-01-2007 at 06:52 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by derek14
    It is amazing how quickly a person's opinion is discredited because the post was written poorly. While ActionBuddy might have an valid point, most people will not listen because they believe that somebody who cannot write correctly is obviously an idiot. The way a person writes reflects on their credibility. I'm not saying that ActionBuddy is necessarily an idiot, but he is clearly perceived to be one.
    It's not that he can't write clearly. It's that he doesn't even try to. I give him more credit in the intelligence department than you do, I just give him the same respect he offers everyone else: Next to none.

All that being said, my optometrist still wears glasses.
    Mine doesn't. He had surgery several years ago. He says he loves it, but you never really know with something like that. People want it to be so good that they will just about say anything to convince themselves that it is. Often times it really isn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

So, what Doc is recommended in Colorado?

O.K., the bottom line is: Get a good Doctor to do the surgery.

So, any recommendations for Doctors or businesses in the Denver metro area of Colorado that perform Laser correction surgery?

mtbr member
    I'm 41 with astigmatism and I'm getting my eyes done on Feb 1st by Lasikplus centers...everyone there has been super nice plus they have various finance options if you want to make monthly payments..For Me...The total for both eyes and full lifetime touchups if you need them is around $3600 bucks...Be sure to ask them about the various discounts they give to patients...Http://www.lasikplus.com/

holding back the darkness
    Do it but do the homework. Get the best available technology and avoid the "$599 per eye" specials out there. The current state of the art allows for lasers to do both the corneal flap (in place of the scary little buzzsaw they used to use) and the actual correction, and there exists the ability to actively map your eye as the procedure is happening to increase positive results.
    Plus on the odd chance that you have a flex account at work you can have the money taken out pre-tax (lowing your taxable income= write-off) and reduces the sticker shock somewhat.
    Best upgrade I could ever have done for my cycling and for my life in general. I could see better the instant they flapped my corneas back over the lenses.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The choice of laser surgery is a tough one. I did it back in 2000 and don't regret it. I did have to go to reading glasses last year but I was near sighted before and I still have 20/15 in both eyes for distance. I'm also going to be 51 in a couple of months.

Some things to consider are finding a very experienced Doc. Don't cheap out on your eyes. I did one at a time to make sure it was going to be OK. I think the chance for side effects has to do with the degree of correction. Mine was very mild since I was -1.75 in my left eye and -1.5 in the right with very little astigmatism. I had some minor haloing before the surgery and itís the same after. My night vision was unaffected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    and there exists the ability to actively map your eye as the procedure is happening to increase positive results.
    Best upgrade I could ever have done for my cycling and for my life in general. I could see better the instant they flapped my corneas back over the lenses.
    Now thats what I like to hear !! My procedure is all laser with the mapping so I hope everything turns out ok...I can hear a nice pair of Oakleys calling my name

Rat Fink
    I have a friend who a year or two ago accompanied an eye surgery group to South and Central America where they fly a bunch of surgeons down and they do charity eye surgery. She was considering laser vision correction until she found out none of the surgons would have it done.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    Now thats what I like to hear !! My procedure is all laser with the mapping so I hope everything turns out ok...I can hear a nice pair of Oakleys calling my name
    Lasikplus... no blades... total B and L Wavefront eye mapping...

Mine was almost a year ago.... freakin awewsome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    I have a friend who a year or two ago accompanied an eye surgery group to South and Central America where they fly a bunch of surgeons down and they do charity eye surgery. She was considering laser vision correction until she found out none of the surgons would have it done.
    And the doctor that did mine and everyone else who worked at the clinic who needed corrective lens had the procedure done at some point. Laser correction has been done for almost 20 years with hundreds of thousands of procedures. If there was any evidence showing that it was unsafe it would not be allowed to be done. In fact there is evidence to show that you if you wear contacts you have a greater chance of major infection over your lifetime of wearing contacts then you would from a laser procedure.

"Based on their review of several large studies, ophthalmologist William Mathers, MD, and colleagues concluded that daily contact lens wearers have about a one in 100 chance of developing a serious lens-related eye infection over 30 years of use, and a one in 2,000 chance of suffering significant vision loss as a result.

The researchers calculated the risk of significant vision loss due to LASIK surgery to be closer to one in 10,000 cases. They reported their findings in a letter published this month in the journal Archives of Ophthalmology."

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news...-than-contacts

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Actionbuddy is actually correct. My best friend is currently going to school for opthamology (He is already an optometrist that works in an office under an opthamologist who does Lasik surgery). The surgery will not be performed by any competent doctor who sees a patient with poor eyesight and a high risk of glaucoma. Why? Because as action buddy said it weakens your cornea. Your cornea is strong connective tissue, but like the ear drum once it ruptures or is torn/cut in one spot it doesn't heal over even close to its original strength (I'm in Audiology in case you wondered). My girlfriend went to have lasik done because her eyesight is awful, but she has a history of high blood pressure and glaucoma in her family. The docs at Cleveland clinic said no f-ing way! So she has to stick to glasses and contacts.

Most docs advertise Lasik as a miracle cure for poor eyesight, but the reality is you can only shave off so much corneal tissue and you weaken your cornea more and more each time so when you are 70 and have high blood pressure or glaucoma setting in, bring on the blindness. I personally wouldn't get the surgery done, unless I was in my late 30's and my eyes hadn't decreased in poor eyesight for at least a few eyes. This way I could have the surgery once and then not ever do it again.

Sure there can be problems but the same can be said about putting a little piece of plastic on your eyeball for hours a day. I had a friend who wore her contacts a bit too much and ended up getting a serious infection and was told to leave them off for 6 months so they could heal. The chances of a serious problem - say blindness - are extremely small with the laser procedure.

Just because the doctor doesn't have it done doesn't mean anything. Most docs are arrogant SOB's who wouldn't let another doc touch them because they think they could do a better job. If it means anything the doctor that did mine had the procedure done on him.

The reason that most are positive experiences just means that the vast majority do have positive experiences.
    I love this statement, but I know plenty of other audiologists and ENT's that I would let work on my ears anytime. Maybe it's because we Audiologists have to deal with the prick doctors (ENT's, plastic surgeons, otologists, etc.) that we decide never to use a medical degree to plant a God complex. Oh well.

it's....
    I had mine done by Lasikplus in 2000 when I heard about the $499 per eye special.
    Yes, it was old tech, not the tracking laser, but I as long as you don't blink and move your eyes around, the procedure is safe.
    That was the best $1000 I ever spent, just not having to mess with lens/glasses when swimming, biking, skiikng, etc.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    I had it done in 2000 and have had no problems and my sight was 20/12 when it was last checked. From what I understand you may still need reading glasses when you get older since the muscles that control close up focus get weaker with age. That has nothing to do with the lasik surgery. No regrets on my part.
    Very true. You will be trading bifocals for reading glasses which are MUCH cheaper and unnecessary during exercise.

For the original poster, if you are a near sighted adult without "coke bottle" prescriptions, it's a no brainer. Most places have "lifetime guaranties" and they'll fix your vision if they don't "hit it" on the first try or if it drifts to the degree that you would need glasses again.

After my surgery, I think I was 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. I believe they've drifted since but I remember that I really could not function without glasses before. In general I do have slight problems with bright light sources at night. But I'll take this any day over contacts and glasses which are a major pain in the ass.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by derek14
    It is amazing how quickly a person's opinion is discredited because the post was written poorly.
    Working with students reveals that disorganized writing is indicative of disorganized thought and vice versa. Disorganized thought is rarely comprehensive, reflective and logical. Working with students also reveals that improving one improves the other.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdickey
    BTW: I was not impressed with the assembly line mentality of my lasik eye factory. I was not given what I felt was sufficient info about possible after care. I ended up needing once an hour eye drops for (about) two months.
    You really should have read all the material about the risks. I guarantee you signed off on all of it.

I suffered a fair amount of pain in the 24 hours after the surgery.
    Am I glad I had it done? Yes.
    I suffered none, exactly. Except maybe the tape on my face from those plastic guards they want you to wear while your sleeping for a while.

mtbr member
    I had it done a year ago and have loved every minute of it.

Of course I did wait till I was over 30 and my eyes hadn't changed in at least 2 years worth of lense prescriptions.

I was having a heck of a time finding contact lenses that were comfortable for me and never liked wearing glasses. All of that contributed to my decision to have it done.

It is not for everyone but it is no different than cosmetic surgery. That is why they call it an elective surgery!

I say go for it and don't worry!!
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had mine done in '05. I'm 44. Love it. I went through 5 pairs of glasses in the year prior to the surgery. My vision is 20/15. No halos(they don't want to operate on truckers for fear of wrecking their night vision).
    If i had to do it over again, I wouldn't have waited so long.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    This response is somewhat differant than those posted above but I feel if you can afford the corrective surgery than go for it.
    I have been wearing glasses since 18 mo of age and contacts since the 6th grade and I am now 36. my eyesight before was something like - 10 in both eyes I think it translates to 20/2100. It was borderline being legally blind and I was not even close to being a candidate for laser surgery. So I went down to Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami and saw a doc there. He told me about Intra ocular lens implants. It is where they implant a lens inside your eyeball between your iris (the colored part) and the lens.
    I had this procedure done about two years ago as outpatient type procedure one at a time. My vision is now 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left eye. No more glasses or contacts ever.
    As far as riding goes it is the best investment I have made. No more dried out contacts while riding, No more messing around with glasses while riding, Just go out and ride as hard as you want.
    So as far as corrective eye surgery goes I say go for it. Just be sure to do your research and find a good reputable doctor after all they are your eyes. Best of luck
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Do one eye @ a time in case they/you screw up
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    I have no problems with soft contacts, i keep em clean, and i dispose of them every 4-6 weeks, only problem is computing or watching TV with them since you dont blink...
    Most people will tell you that Lasik is great, but i have a friend whos mother had to go in 3 times and yet it still wasnt fixed...but his dad on the other hand went in once and doenst need reading glasses or anything

If you pay attention most, if not all eye doctors dont have Lasik done on them but yet they still push it upoun their patients...my dad got so pissed off once that he snapped at the doctor "why dont you do it yourself? i see you have glasses" the doctor replied "its my personal choice" so im sure there is something fishy behind the scenes

As for Corrective sleeping contacts...i roll around alot in my sleep, i also rub my eyes a lot as well, i wouldnt dare try that...of course unless i wore goggles to sleep to protect em

Its a matter of opinion, just do your homework, and decide if you want to take the gamble...I still love contacts to the death

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast