Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Obviously, more saddle time is the fix. If it's because you can't get to the trails, then jump on a treadmill or elliptical a few times a week and do some interval training to build up your cardio. Google how to determine your max heart rate and develop a challenging 45-60 minute workout. After a couple months, I bet you will see a noticeable difference.

I agree with posters above that it most likely isn't your bike. I'm 48 and ride a few times a week, but a family friend who is almost 60 with a 20 year old bike, still regularly beats me on some of the steepest local trails. He brags about how old his tires are and how he hasn't serviced his bike in years! I think he'd be even faster with a newer bike, but I don't tell him that.

It takes time to build up the endurance, so just stick with it!
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95

Hell Track
    Dude 40 is not old. You need to ride a lot more. once a month is not gonna get you in good riding shape.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 56 in 2 weeks and have in and out of good shape quite a few times. Never totally out but had difficulty climbing when out. An Anthem is a good bike and you are not overweight. You just have to exercise whenever you can. I know it's not easy finding time but it's the only way. I have a riding buddy who is not as fit as I am but I love riding with him. He is 50, has a great attitude, lots of skill, will try almost anything, is not afraid to suffer, and usually only gets out to ride twice a week. When he does ride there is always a big climb involved and he is finding them easier. He has got into better shape with riding twice a week but it's slow and the rides are hard. 3 hard rides a week and he would be much better but he is too busy. Try and find time at least 3 times a week.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    +11ty - Ride more. Commit to riding more. Find a club, group ride, friends that will drag you out, etc....

Each time you ride, push your lungs (and legs) just a bit further than the last time you were out. Also, focus more on YOUR cadence and what YOUR body is telling you than the person in front of you's pace. You will never become a better rider unless you find your physical limits and push them.

Being able to lead the group you are currently struggling to keep pace with sure would feel awesome, huh? You can do it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    High intensity interval training for the off trail times.
    3 high-intensity workouts to burn fat and increase fitness :: Men's Health

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hours on the bike will solve most of your problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Lack of fitness or the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    You need to get out and ride more.

I've seen young men of college age who have a history of riding. They can not ride much or at all and just show up and hammer with the best of them. As you age that disappears. You have to work more to stay with the guys you ride with.
    Total copout. If you work to stay in shape, just like the young ones, theres no reason why, at 40, you should be falling behind. At 35-40 or so, your red blood cells capacity for oxygen is at its highest. There's a reason why all the top endurance athletes are around that age.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Get a cheap road bike and ride it during the week after work. Helps me a lot and I'm 47

Axe
    Custom User Title

Ride alone and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Ride alone and enjoy it.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    There's no substitute for time in the saddle. I've found that if I ride twice a week, I pretty much maintain whatever fitness level I'm at. If I can get out three times a week, I improve, if I can get out four times per week, I really improve! But no matter what, I have to push myself. It's never just a leisurely ride for me. Oh and I'm 52.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Guys. Thanks so much for all your comments. It really has answered my questions around fitness and inspires me hugely to get out on the bike, more! Cheers from Australia 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    inspires me hugely to get out on the bike 
    sadly i ride all the time and i still kind of suck on the hills. My full squish bike is 27 pounds so i'm thinking about building a 26 in chinese carbon hardtail to come in under 20. I will take any help i can get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    I'm a 40 y/o male ....when I'm out hitting the trails it's always the climbs that kill me. I probably get out once on a sat or sun a month if I'm lucky atm and ride with a group and it's the same story when ever I'm out, last to get up the hill, slowest of the group etc. ... Or do I just need to get out on my bike more to increase fitness?
    I just turned 40 a couple weeks ago and I ride 3-4 times a week. I do pretty well on most climbs, but there are always some that kick my butt on climbs. Sounds to me if you are riding once a month your fitness will be down. I ride with guy in his early 40's. He is quite fit as he is a runner, but is building his leg strength. He rides a few times a month and while he is getting stronger I can easily out climb him and out pace him on the flats. However we did a 5k run and few months back and he pulled away in last 2k and I had nothing for him as I was already pegged. I did run my best 5k ever, but his faster on the run. He is convincing me to a half marathon soon. I need to train more on my running to pull it off.

Anyway point is I believe your issue is biking fitness. It may not be related to being overweight or even a poor cardio fitness, but simply a lack of leg strength. The only way to really build that up is to put miles on the bike. I tell my friend this and I think he understands, but given his time constraints he still does alot of running.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The nice thing about having some difficulty on a bike that's not brilliant about a given task is that you can have some doubt as to whether it's you or the bike.

The bummer about a bike purpose-built for a task is that it removes any doubt.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OP, as everyone sez, you just ain't riding enough

literally all you need to do to see gains, is ride at least 30 minutes every day (really, you can stop after 30 minutes) and just easy peasy. do this for 2 months straight and you will feel your old kung-fu start to kick in, and if you are destined to get fast, it'll happen

seriously, just dedicate 30 minutes a day to moving your legs around in circles it will all fall into place and you'll have a base set up to lay some pain down with

now tell me you can't scrape up 30 minutes daily to do a no-sweating-allowed easy spin

you can cheat by doing leg presses or squats (3 x as many as you can do in a minute) twice a week instead of 30 minutes riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    High Tech retail motivation = buy a fancy new bike you will ride it a ton more!

(kidding....just ride as much as you can, get a trainer and ride it early or late night for 45 minutes at a time twice a week if you can't get outside to ride0

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The nice thing about having some difficulty on a bike that's not brilliant about a given task is that you can have some doubt as to whether it's you or the bike.

The bummer about a bike purpose-built for a task is that it removes any doubt.
    except that after i come to this realization on my new 17 pound carbon wonder bike i can keep hope alive with the idea of the new 12 pound trek road bike

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, that's true.

I love that people can now walk into a shop and walk out with a bike that's too light to be raced internationally.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I feel this is somehow related to wheelsize, bar width, or frame material.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Ride alone and enjoy it.
    quoted for truth
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2