Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    220

    LA RUTA ....fraud....

    just got back.... here's the scoop...

    course was easier this year than in the years past...on 3 days total, and day 3 was about 1/2 the normal length with virutally no climbing...just a longer TT..

    day 1 was normal, but this year was extremely hot (101) through the 3 hour hike a bike jungle mud....

    day 2 was up irazu volcano...weather was great...

    day 3 was from siquierres to limon....totally flat...

    ON THE BIKE, THE COMPETITICION WAS FUN....

    once the bike got put away, logisics were a total nightmare....the staff had no idea which hotels we were at, no idea where to get the shuttles...etc.....

    we got forced into $31 plates of pasta....

    we paid $1300 more than the locals....

    stayed in shyt motels...

    on day 2 i finished at 11am and didn't get to the hotel til 9pm....thats 10 hours after a combined 13 hours in the saddle...totally unexceptable.

    i can go on and on...but im not...id never again participate and support la ruta...its a total tourist trap and thats it...$50 for massages!?!?!? its costa rica.....better be a happy massage....

    $60 to spray my bike down after each day....cost extra to do any other work

    $180 to transfer bike to/fro san jose....if u take a local bus its $13.....

    TOTAL TOURIST TRAP......never never never would i go again..

    last year one 1 cyclist got jacked at gunpoint for his bicycle....same year the locals put a bee hive under the train tressel....ticos holding on to cars passing you up the hills...

    day 2 finish was a banana plantation....i got beat by a tico by 23 minutes that i passed on a downhill in town...he cut the course..

    i heard from other foreigners that they witnessed guys starting out on a hardtail and finishing on a FS....or getting transported in the back of cars.....the whole race is a total tourist trap for money...in 2008 it was $500...now its $1750 not including all the other crap....seriously....$1750 for 3 days of racing in a 3rd world country not including everything.......

    the volunteer staff really tried hard but they had no clue what was going on....roman urbano is a fraud...he lost his hotel, his house, his car and has the nickname by locals as "bridge burner".....he's a fraud...never agian would i put my money towards anything he runs.....

    i can't express into words how terrible the event was run..imagine spending 8 hours on the saddle and finishing with nowhere to go....for hours....and knowing you had a huge day the next 2 days...you'd get onto 1 shuttle, then kicked off, then reboarded, then kicked off....etc.....then your name is "not on the list" so you'd have to purchase your hotel, which should have been included....fraud fraud fraud....

    if you participated in this years event please comment.....i don't want people to think im some bitter cyclist....

    im truly not...i finished 26/310 in the open category..my bike ran great and my body did too....i worked as hard as i could for 16 hours.....i was really proud of myself....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,312
    That sux!! Racing something like La Ruta is supposed to be a very special event in your life. Instead they have turned into something you regret.

    Make sure you cross post this in other forums, specifically the Endurance Racing Forum.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  3. #3
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,073
    Holy moly. The real scoop.Thanks for the honest feedback.

    fc

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    51
    Thanks for the honesty-thought about doing that race at some point. After your report,no f-ing way!
    No one would think your being bitter,just telling the truth. And that's so goddamn refreshing.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,751
    This is not the first time I've heard such feedback. That race probably jumped the shark 10 years ago. Bummer man! I think Leadville is next in line for fraud status. Then maybe Sea Otter

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    220
    i hear that leadville caters more towards the slower group...because its a 1 day adventure...la ruta allegedly caters to the more competitive....for $1750 +/-$700 for the other crap one would think in costa rica would be able to order a slew of hot wives, house maids, and sexy nurses......
    it was total disapointment...i really hope this mtbr gets to some other foreigners that raced this year and post their thoughts...i know that every other racer i talked to they were EXTREMELY disapointed with LA RUTA.......its an absolute joke...at least pee otter is cheaper, and closer to home...i was stuck in the middle of nowhere buying $31 pasta.....leadville has showed their true colors by only allowing one to qualify in THEIR event and THEIR EVENT ONLY......the purpose of a qualifier should be to see if someone is able to ride.....i contacted their head guy....he wouldn't accept my tahoe sierra, my la ruta, my 24 hour world championships, my BC bike race, or my 21st overall in the tour de korea 10 day stage race.....he said i need to one of his 50 miles races so they can make more money on my registration fees.....i hate cycling

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Sounds like a ton of fun.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Dude, you do not need to post this in several different forums. Pick one and stick with it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    401
    Yeah man the big races have gotten pretty out of control over the past 5 years or so. La Ruta, Leadville, Iceman, and several 24hr races have all jumped the shark so it seems.

    Good on ya for going out and busting your butt to race competitively.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    220
    bite me, ill post it everywhere i can....if posting in 2 or 3 spots can save some unexpecting soul to save $4k on a stupid 3 day race...id post it to the sac bee and wall street journal if i could...

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    bite me, ill post it everywhere i can....if posting in 2 or 3 spots can save some unexpecting soul to save $4k on a stupid 3 day race...id post it to the sac bee and wall street journal if i could...
    On the East Coast people still do not have power, 100's are dead. Homes and business lost forever and you whining about a freakin race. Sorry your race sucked, but have some perspective AND I don't want to read about it on every forum. STFU!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    220
    again...bite me...the race sucked and i have the right to complain wherever i want....im sure before sandy came in your *****ed about something....and there was a tsunami in japan and disaster in haiti....so....eat it

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    again...bite me...the race sucked and i have the right to complain wherever i want....im sure before sandy came in your *****ed about something....and there was a tsunami in japan and disaster in haiti....so....eat it
    It is La Ruta dumbazz, that is what the race is all about. did you not do any research before you entered? I can post several articles on the f'up conditions going back at least 5 years. Including getting between starts.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    On the East Coast people still do not have power, 100's are dead. Homes and business lost forever and you whining about a freakin race. Sorry your race sucked, but have some perspective AND I don't want to read about it on every forum. STFU!
    And you still voted for Nobama...
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    On the East Coast people still do not have power, 100's are dead. Homes and business lost forever and you whining about a freakin race. Sorry your race sucked, but have some perspective AND I don't want to read about it on every forum. STFU!
    Dude, take a step away from the computer, go get a hug, and just chill.

    You aren't the forum police. His topic is relevant. Sure his language is inappropriate but we're all adults and can handle it. If you see redundant posts then don't read them. If you look at every single sub category of MTBR maybe you have too much time on your hands.

    Anyway TGIF and peace.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  16. #16
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,524

    COming to America

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    And you still voted for Nobama...
    Nobama is going to do similar things to American's in the years to come

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    For what it is worth, my experience was very different. The race staff was extremely cheerful and helpful. There was a $31 pasta option the first night but it certainly wasn't the only option. We all had bikes and there were several restaurants within 3 miles of the hotel. There was an option to have your bike cleaned for $60 which is expensive but they REALLY cleaned it...I mean not a spec of dirt even on the tires. But there was also a hose within 100 feet of the mechanics tent where you could wash your bike for free after every stage....a race volunteer even cleaned my bike for me for free after the second stage. Nobody stopped you from using public transportation to get to the start or back to San Jose after the finish. I talked to some guys that hired a local family to drive them around and it saved them a mint. The hotels certainly weren't 5 star but what they were plenty good by Costa Rican standards. Keep in mind that Costa Rica works at a slightly different pace than we are used to in the US. If you want an experience where everything is perfectly prepared and laid out for you then stick to races in the US. If you want an event with some real adventure where you might have to do a little thinking on your feet it is hard to beat an event like La Ruta.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    On the East Coast people still do not have power, 100's are dead. Homes and business lost forever and you whining about a freakin race. Sorry your race sucked, but have some perspective AND I don't want to read about it on every forum. STFU!
    Every day 20,000-30,000 children die in africa from starvation and intestinal diseases. STFU about not having power and 100's dead.

    There is always a tragedy that can trump your tragedy, it doesnt invalidate someones issue.

  19. #19
    I build my own.
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,246
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Every day 20,000-30,000 children die in africa from starvation and intestinal diseases. STFU about not having power and 100's dead.

    There is always a tragedy that can trump your tragedy, it doesnt invalidate someones issue.
    Cretaceous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    again...bite me...the race sucked and i have the right to complain wherever i want....im sure before sandy came in your *****ed about something....and there was a tsunami in japan and disaster in haiti....so....eat it
    WHAAAAAAAA! I need my mommy, WHAAAAAAAA!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ditt0043 View Post
    For what it is worth, my experience was very different. The race staff was extremely cheerful and helpful. There was a $31 pasta option the first night but it certainly wasn't the only option. We all had bikes and there were several restaurants within 3 miles of the hotel. There was an option to have your bike cleaned for $60 which is expensive but they REALLY cleaned it...I mean not a spec of dirt even on the tires. But there was also a hose within 100 feet of the mechanics tent where you could wash your bike for free after every stage....a race volunteer even cleaned my bike for me for free after the second stage. Nobody stopped you from using public transportation to get to the start or back to San Jose after the finish. I talked to some guys that hired a local family to drive them around and it saved them a mint. The hotels certainly weren't 5 star but what they were plenty good by Costa Rican standards. Keep in mind that Costa Rica works at a slightly different pace than we are used to in the US. If you want an experience where everything is perfectly prepared and laid out for you then stick to races in the US. If you want an event with some real adventure where you might have to do a little thinking on your feet it is hard to beat an event like La Ruta.
    This makes me much happier now. Nothing worse than people that elect to pay for something and then ***** about it. You got what you agreed to pay for it sounds like.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    On the East Coast people still do not have power, 100's are dead. Homes and business lost forever and you whining about a freakin race. Sorry your race sucked, but have some perspective AND I don't want to read about it on every forum. STFU!
    umm.... correct me if I am wrong but isn't this thread supposed to be about La Ruta? Btw this is hurricane sandy in Cuba but the USA is way to important
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LA RUTA   ....fraud....-536265_389112824498154_564102032_n.jpg  


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    just got back.... here's the scoop...

    course was easier this year than in the years past...on 3 days total, and day 3 was about 1/2 the normal length with virutally no climbing...just a longer TT..

    day 1 was normal, but this year was extremely hot (101) through the 3 hour hike a bike jungle mud....

    day 2 was up irazu volcano...weather was great...

    day 3 was from siquierres to limon....totally flat...

    ON THE BIKE, THE COMPETITICION WAS FUN....

    once the bike got put away, logisics were a total nightmare....the staff had no idea which hotels we were at, no idea where to get the shuttles...etc.....

    we got forced into $31 plates of pasta....

    we paid $1300 more than the locals....

    stayed in shyt motels...

    on day 2 i finished at 11am and didn't get to the hotel til 9pm....thats 10 hours after a combined 13 hours in the saddle...totally unexceptable.

    i can go on and on...but im not...id never again participate and support la ruta...its a total tourist trap and thats it...$50 for massages!?!?!? its costa rica.....better be a happy massage....

    $60 to spray my bike down after each day....cost extra to do any other work

    $180 to transfer bike to/fro san jose....if u take a local bus its $13.....

    TOTAL TOURIST TRAP......never never never would i go again..

    last year one 1 cyclist got jacked at gunpoint for his bicycle....same year the locals put a bee hive under the train tressel....ticos holding on to cars passing you up the hills...

    day 2 finish was a banana plantation....i got beat by a tico by 23 minutes that i passed on a downhill in town...he cut the course..

    i heard from other foreigners that they witnessed guys starting out on a hardtail and finishing on a FS....or getting transported in the back of cars.....the whole race is a total tourist trap for money...in 2008 it was $500...now its $1750 not including all the other crap....seriously....$1750 for 3 days of racing in a 3rd world country not including everything.......

    the volunteer staff really tried hard but they had no clue what was going on....roman urbano is a fraud...he lost his hotel, his house, his car and has the nickname by locals as "bridge burner".....he's a fraud...never agian would i put my money towards anything he runs.....

    i can't express into words how terrible the event was run..imagine spending 8 hours on the saddle and finishing with nowhere to go....for hours....and knowing you had a huge day the next 2 days...you'd get onto 1 shuttle, then kicked off, then reboarded, then kicked off....etc.....then your name is "not on the list" so you'd have to purchase your hotel, which should have been included....fraud fraud fraud....

    if you participated in this years event please comment.....i don't want people to think im some bitter cyclist....

    im truly not...i finished 26/310 in the open category..my bike ran great and my body did too....i worked as hard as i could for 16 hours.....i was really proud of myself....
    OK, so did the race last year, and signed up for it again this year. My info from research and threads like this was vague at best, and many opinions differed. If anybody has any specific questions post up and I'll answer them best I can on how it all works.

  24. #24
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,679
    What was your general opinion of the event? Did any of the OP's observations ring true in your experience?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  25. #25
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,143
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiPerf View Post
    OK, so did the race last year, and signed up for it again this year. My info from research and threads like this was vague at best, and many opinions differed. If anybody has any specific questions post up and I'll answer them best I can on how it all works.
    Since you went, you're the one that can comment best if it differs from the OP.

    p.s. Was it really fraud or just expensive?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •