Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: knees

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

knees

Hi all Im 45 years old and i have been mountain biking for about 7 years now and I ride alot of technical switch backs on a trek ex9. My knees do get tired and authrists does come into play to. I just started not drinking sodas and I just started taking osteo bio flex and omega 3-6-9. Is their any other supplements I should take for joint repair. Im trying to cut out sugar in my diet and eat fish daily as this is supposed to help with arthritis.

AZ
    banned
    Calcium rich vegetables. Exercise to strengthen the connective tissues surrounding the knees.

mtbr member
    I take Glucosamine daily. Standing when climbing is less stressful on the knees as well. Thats why you see old farts like AZ on Singlespeeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    my knees are almost 15 years older than your knees, and I find what makes the biggest difference is to make sure your saddle height is perfect. Once you determine the correct height for you, make sure it stays there! I ride a 1x9, and climb almost always seated- I can feel when my seatpost has begun its oh so slow downward creep. Your knees will know as well.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Saddle height's been covered.

I'm not as old as you, but have flaky knees because I'm just lucky that way. Having fancy insoles and shims has helped me a lot. Talk to a fitter about it. If you don't know who to go to, talk to your roadie friends.

If you're just noticing it on steep climbs, try it in a lower gear.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here are my suggestions (coming from a guy 15 years younger but blessed with genetics that yield "bad knees")

- fitment is key (saddle heights, cleat placement etc.) if my saddle is not perfect knee pain comes about within only a few miles, the same holds true for wonky cleat placement

- keep your knees covered when it's not very warm... knee warmers are your friend, cold (meaning under 60*) plus knees/tendons etc mix like oil and water. If I ride in the cooler weather without protection I hurt a day or two later

- stretching/yoga etc. helps keep you flexible. self explanatory

- do not... ever... sit on your knees e.g., kneeling for long periods of time, sitting on the couch or office chair with knees bent funny. I am always doing this and I always end up having to wear a brace because of it.

*B*
    mtbr member
    I have some major joint problems from injuries, two things that have made a huge difference for me are..... Yoga, hands down one of the best things you can do. It can be brutal, you have to stay consistent and it will work but make sure you don't over do it in class, the point is to come back the next day. Look for a "Bikram" yoga class, 90+ degrees 1 1/2 hours, it changes your body on a cellular level and exercises not only muscles but glands get kick started into giving your body hormones, testosterone, lubricates joints, ect.

Another thing that has worked great for me is an old wrestler/athlete injury rehab practice. Fresh Atlantic Cod Fish Oil every day. You can get it at Whole Foods and organic stores in the refrigerated area. It comes in a big dark bottle like a pint of liquor and you have to keep it cold. Its not cheap but def worth it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I take Glucosamine daily. Standing when climbing is less stressful on the knees as well. Thats why you see old farts like AZ on Singlespeeds.

Ha! Yes standing helps on old joints. A lot of good info in these responses, keep em coming.

Give it a crank
    I've tried a lot of things to make my knee pains go away and I've got it down to simply riding at a more leisurely pace. I like big climbs and having some HAB thrown in somehow seems to be a big help too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My knees are about 7 years older than the op's, had an ACL reconstruction and broke the tibia plateau on my right knee, separate occasions. Luckily they don't bother me much as I also have arthritis in my family. I will second the keeping your knees warm. The only time I have knee pain afterwards is in cold weather.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wxc300 View Post
    Hi all Im 45 years old and i have been mountain biking for about 7 years now and I ride alot of technical switch backs on a trek ex9. My knees do get tired and authrists does come into play to. I just started not drinking sodas and I just started taking osteo bio flex and omega 3-6-9. Is their any other supplements I should take for joint repair. Im trying to cut out sugar in my diet and eat fish daily as this is supposed to help with arthritis.
    I am the same age. Other than ACL replacement on my R knee ~8 years ago from wasting it on a soccer field, I haven't had knee issues. Started riding single speed ~4 months ago and had heard from many people about knee pain being an issue when you first start riding for like the first 6 or so rides. I didn't have any problem. Only pain I've felt is in my wrists a couple days after more challenging rides (from pulling on the handlebars to hump it up some of the long climbs).

My GF has taken osteo bio flex for years and got me doing the same a while back. If your knees get tired you may want to tweak your setup a bit to see if it improves things. If you are in clipless pedals, might be worth changing the angle of the cleats (bring your heel closer into the chainstay possibly?) or if you run flat pedals, maybe a slightly different saddle position or angle might be worth considering. Depends a lot on your riding style too - on my FS bike, I sit and spin more of the time (particularly on long grueling climbs) whereas on a hard tail or SS standing is more frequent in general. The fit on all 3 of my rides is very close...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I run clipless and im basically wantint to take as good of care of my knees as I can. Im starting the supplements for cartridge and joint repair and was wondering what everybody else is using and doing.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was using glucosamine for a while when I first messed up my knees. It didn't seem to do anything. I haven't looked for peer-reviewed studies, but I find a lot of these supplements to be highly suspect. For someone with a non-restricted/non-weird diet, I think it just makes expensive pee.

But if someone less lazy than me finds some articles, I'll probably at least read them.

Basically, you want your bike not to force your body to do anything weird. The insoles help me because as I get tired, my form gets bad. Overtraining injuries are often all about bad form. Or to phrase the same thing a different way, good form in almost all sports is the biomechanically correct way to do something, that won't (or shouldn't, anyway) cause injury.

Because the motion in cycling is constrained, you need to cross-train. There's yet another thing that will mess with your joints done with bad form, so it's a good discussion to have with a personal trainer or coach, or your doctor or physical therapist. Anyway, there are some resistance exercises for stability, and there's a strong argument for running to maintain better balance between the quads and hamstrings, since cycling is a quad-heavy sport. There's also a weird little part of the quadriceps, the one to the inside and just above the knee, that sometimes is underdeveloped on cyclists, and is important to keeping a well-tracking knee cap.

Ride Instigator
    I have about 8 yrs on the OP and have found that doing a lot of spinning on the road bike helps knee performance and endurance on MTB singletrack tremendously. Spinning lower gears at higher RPMs while riding singletrack, particularly while climbing tends to be easier on the knees.

Joint pain, AKA Arthritis, is simply a case of wear and tear on joints as you get older and effects everyone to some degree. The best thing that you can do to lessen the effects is to keep moving/exersizing to strenghten the surrounding tissues that support the joints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi guys I just rode toay with egg beater clipless pedals, I was using shimano, I like the egg beaters better they release alot easier

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by *B* View Post
    Yoga, hands down one of the best things you can do. It can be brutal, you have to stay consistent and it will work but make sure you don't over do it in class, the point is to come back the next day. Look for a "Bikram" yoga class, 90+ degrees 1 1/2 hours, it changes your body on a cellular level and exercises not only muscles but glands get kick started into giving your body hormones, testosterone, lubricates joints, ect.
    +1 for good hatha yoga. Bikram's is an awesome beginner friendly class with room for improvement to an intermediate level. No headstands or crazy ****, just core work and stretching in a hot room.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Team Chilidog!
    It has nothing to do with your equipment, it has to do with spinning instead of mashing. After ACL surgery 15 months ago, learning to spin was the best thing I did for my knee.

Glucosimine and fish oil definitely help too, but spinning rather than mashing is key.

Oh yeah, like everyone else said: proper seat height

mtbr member
    BTW, the "don't drink sodas" is unproven. I'd suspect genetics before I'd look at your soda intake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ultimately... knees suck - period.

Shoulders come in a close second....

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I have had 7 knee surgeries between the 2 of us (each with 2 ACL repairs) and we don't do much other than ice after each ride. We avoid ibuprofen because it's been known to not be the friendliest drug towards cartilage. I tried supplements for a couple of months (glucosamine) and didn't notice any positive result so I just stick with trying to keep an overall healthy diet and working on keeping a strong and healthy core. The physical work and care seems to be far more effective than chemically trying improve your joints IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I take Glucosamine daily. Standing when climbing is less stressful on the knees as well.
    Same here...

Glucosamine works for me too. I have taken it for a long time then stopped for some reason and knees start to hurt again. I start taking Glu. again, the pain goes away. For me it takes some weeks for it to kick in. Be patient.

I do a lot of stand up pedaling too, it helps.
    Last edited by dead_dog_canyon; 05-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Long-term ibuprofen use can also hammer on your liver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great thread. I hate my knees too.

I've been taking Glucosamine as well (I need a new bottle) and it has helped a lot.

I think the main thing for me is making sure i'm not in too high of a gear because i like to sit on climbs. Also spinning is important too, like on platforms making sure you are picking your feet up on the backside of the spin.

The other thing I've noticed for me, some frames naturally have me in a not so good pedal position (fore/aft) without a lot of correction. I'm getting rid of one bike because it would take too much change to it to get it right (the BB was too far forward).

mtbr member
    Andrwswitch touched on this earlier, but there is no definite proof that glucosamine helps. I've been taking it for a while though, but can't really say it's done anything for sure.

I spoke to my doctor about it recently and she reiterated the same: probably no harm, but no proven benefits. Instead, she told me to look at curcumin which did have some positive study results, especially in terms of managing inflammation.

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had noticeable improvement with Krill oil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast