Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: knees

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    OK...I'm 52 with knee pain and arthritis symptoms also.. I have also studied and lived health and healing for 30 years.Well some good info here, I didn't read them all, but I think you get the picture...Align the body (yoga) and bike properly, and eat as simply/naturally/organic as possible. Omega 3/6/9s are good for sure (joints, heart brain etc...too)... I will tell you a large part of the problem for ALL people, INFLAMATION...This is where so many problems start. Arthritis pain is due to inflammation. The first thing to take is TURMERIC. It is an absolutely amazing anti-inflammatory. Not to expensive either, do some google research. Many people have good results especially on the knees, with glucosamine/chondroitin maybe with MSM also... Another supp all athletes (and everyone) should do is Astaxanthin, (brand "Bio- Astin by Nutrex is by far the best) it's similar to Krill oil but better. it is the most potent anti-oxident on the planet... So heres what I take daily, and have zero pain in my fingers (they were bad), and minimal in the knee, but it keeps getting better....Spirulina (I do a LOT), BioAstin (astaxanthin), omegas, Tumeric capsules (extract, and also just powdered root), Collagen (Reserveage brand is the only one to get) for building connective tissue. At 52 I started running 2.5 months ago. My knees feel great! Never an issue. I will take whatever I need, however expensive to keep my body pain free and feeling good as I age. Oh, I'm also a 30 yr vegan... Remember the raw foods, the more the better! also, cut the dairy out, limit the gluten. They both affect the joints very negatively....Ok, gotta shut up. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I would opt to say that inflammation is due to arthritis and would not say that it is "pain from inflammation" as posted above. Inflammation is the symptom, not the root cause.
    Inflammation is a result of something not working correctly/as originally intended. There are different types of arthritis, but commonly it would be from a lack of cartilage (padding/tissue on bone ends in knee joint) or poorly functioning meniscus (padding between bone ends on knee joint). When this tissue is not performing correctly, inflammation is the symptom of this degeneration. The pain is caused by the poorly functioning tissue.
    Deterioration of this tissue is caused from many things, trauma to knee, improper pedal stroke, genetic reasons, etc... I suggest that all young people get a professional fitting on their bikes, pedal cleats set up properly and even take a pedal stroke class to get the most efficient use of their knees at a young age to prevent a quicker deterioration of the knee joint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes I agree Dan, inflammation is not the cause, and generally arthritic pain is the result of tissue deterioration. Yet inflammation is very much a contributing factor for many many ailments and issues our bodies have, and science is finally starting to recognize this. Maybe I wasn't to clear. I was talking in a more general way about this, not specifically arthritis. It's caused by both diet, and as DirtDan said, improper use of the body. Even looked at this way, it's not truly a 'root cause', but its presence does lead to further problems, so in this way it can be seen as at least a major 'contributor'.
    ...Anyway, I just want to inform people It's important as we age to understand the major role inflammation plays. It is not noticed/realized because it builds so slowly over years and years, and is what may be called the 'unseen' or invisible factor in so many body ailments. It is a burgeoning area of study now, and is part of why Turmeric is becoming so popular.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This will be my 10th post, now I can post a link...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Heres a link to an interesting interview...Motivational Speaker, Author, Radio & TV Talk Show Guest & Health Consultant | Susan Smith Jones, PhD ...If the inflammation interview isn't playing it should be a choice on the page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    BTW, the "don't drink sodas" is unproven. I'd suspect genetics before I'd look at your soda intake.
    sugar is poison for your bod (so are artificial sweeteners). Quoted from the internet, what happens when you drink soda:
    •In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
    •20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
    •40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
    •45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
    •>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
    •>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
    •>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

mtbr member
    A few points:
    •I'm not suggesting that sodas are the "breakfast of champions". You have no argument from me that they are not good for you.
    •The caffeine and phosphoric acid is specific to colas (and caffeined-additive sodas), but wouldn't apply across the board to all sodas. Also, I believe the phosphoric acid effect on bone density is still unproven, BTW, but rather an active theory.
    •One of the reasons suggested for the soda vs bone density issue is that people who tended to drink soda in the place of better choices, i.e. milk, and thus it could be a replacement effect.

Believe me, I'm not condoning sodas in any way, shape or form, but you must admit someone could be saddled with a genetic disposition to knee problems, and thus occasional/rare soda drinking shouldn't be associated with drinking poison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    To add onto other people's posts, watch your omega 6 to 3 ratio. Omega 6 found in vegetable oils promote inflammation while omega 3s inhibit inflammation. I've read that ratios O6:O3 ratios between 1:1 to 3:1 are optimal but you should do your own research. As Dirtdan said, your diet can help with the pain but does not address the root cause. Learning to fire your motor fibres in the correct order can also help to build strength in weaker underdeveloped stabilizer muscles, although I dont know by how much - it is all dependent on your condition and posture imbalances. You should probably talk to a chiropractor cause nobody on this board knows what your exact condition is.

mtbr member
    Aggressive massaging to move the fluid

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Agreed, maybe no proven scientific evidence, but seeing it work for 2 of my dogs, and for my shoulder is proof enough for me.
    Think the key is to take it with meals, think dinner is best, and take it along with some fish oil. The fish oil has many benefits, not only for joints, but it helps your body absorb the gluc. Also, double up the dose, meaning take twice a day, for the first 4-6 weeks. Udo's flax seed or one of their other plant based blends is good stuff too.
    Maybe try some BIG platform pedals like Atomlabs Pimplite to get more freedom/adjustment of movement.
    Also, don't know your stats or bike set-up, but maybe a shorter crankset will serve you well.
    Fish oil is an important part of our bodies needs, for centuries most development were coastal so fish was part of our diets, most of us no longer have that but we need it, not only physically, but there is evidence mentally as well
    good post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3