person

Knee/ Shin Gaurds

My shins have gotten many a scar from my pedals, and as cool as they all look I've decided that I wasnt to get some protection for my shins/knees. I've been looking around but im not sure how comfortable they all are. These are what i've been looking at so far
    [ATTACH]Attachment 204801[/ATTACH]

Any other advise on good gaurds would be great, i wanna keep it not too expensive, like under 60

-Dave
    Last edited by G-VegasMTBiker; 11-08-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

banned
    Sep 2005
    Fox Launch. I love mine.

Axles of Evil
    I think those on top are the 661 Veggie Wraps. I used to ride some stunts and some urban sessions. They work fairly well (lightweight, decent protection) though not super durable, just plain neoprene. I switched to some Lizard Skins shin guards. I really liked them. Better protection and better durability. If you can, find an LBS that caters to BMX so you can try some on. Different legs fit different pads.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Roach/Race Face Rally FR pads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i switch between KnuckleBone shin pads, and 661 knee/shin pads. I like the knucklebones because they only cover the shin on hot days, and the 661's on cooler days.

remember to get somehting with some back of the leg protection the majority of my scars are on the back of my leg and not my shin .

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm minimalist pads?

I use the Roach "light duty" leg and arm pads. They work great, stay in place, although the straps are too short, and really don't weigh all that much, and considering the amount of coverage, they are fairly well ventilated and they give AWESOME PROTECTION..

What I am looking for now in ADDITION to the excellent Roach pads is a very light duty set of knee only, and elbow only pads for RELATIVELY tame XC semi-technical stuff when the Roach pads are overkill. My knees are too shot to chance a hit with NO protection and I like to have a bit of pads on my elbows for small "tree trunk course corrections".

Any ideas? Seems like the "just neoprene" pads like the veggie wraps are roasting hot?

Also it would be nice to have some "minimalist" pads that are easily packable for epics where you do a lot of straighforward climbing or logging roads but want to carry something for the trip down. The roaches(and anything similar) are very bulky when not being worn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the 661's you have on pictured on the bottom are great. i got a pair mid season, crashed the hell out of them and they are still strong. the knee protection is great and they wrap around your whole leg with adjustable straps and velcro. don't move much at all but enough not to stiffen you up. the knee is well covered, including the sides of the knees which personally i always manage to smash off a rock.

not the lightest but light enough. and best part, greenfishsports.com had them for $22.95. you can buy it from their ebay store and still pay through their website with cc, 5-6bucks shipping. great buy, gets my vote.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

SixSixOne

I just got the 661 4X4 shin/knee combo, the second pic you posted, and love them for all the reasons the previous post mentions

mtbr member
    Lightweight, comfortable and bullet proof.

http://www.rockgardn.com/Browse_Item...08#ITEM_367213
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

person
    Hey, thanks a lot for the reply's everyone. The Fox's and Raceface/Roach look nice but i was thinking more wrap around. Based on what you guys have said i think i'll probably go w/ the 4X4's. Thanks again everyone
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    I use cheap ass soccer shin pads for minimal shin protection. 5$ at local used sports goods store. And an old set of carpet layer knee pads I have had for 20 years.
    Hang on, Newt. She's heading for the rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Hey, thanks a lot for the reply's everyone. The Fox's and Raceface/Roach look nice but i was thinking more wrap around. Based on what you guys have said i think i'll probably go w/ the 4X4's. Thanks again everyone
    I hope you plan on riding DH w/ the 4x4's they are beastly pads.