mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Knee position while riding

I was riding road bikes a few weeks ago with some buddies that don't ride MTB and they commented that I seem to ride with my knees spread out too far. They said that the problem is that you don't utilize the inner quads (Vastus Medialas) as much as you should when your legs are too far out. I told them it was because my package was so big that the legs wouldn't go any closer, they didn't buy it.

The only thing I found online was a short video saying that ideal position is about shoulder width. I was watching some pro cycling and it seems that some guys ride with knees way in and others are about shoulder width.

I raised my seat and that seems to help me keep the knees in. Also I have really been focusing on knee position, in case it is just a bad habit I've adopted. Any thoughts on where your knees should be as you pedal.

mtbr member
    knees inline facing straight ahead is optimum. splayed outward will result in knee pain and undue stress on the joint.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    First if it hurts don't do it....

Second carry a mental image of flashing the knees upwards as the foot comes up....

This will help unweight or maybe even provide some up lift...

But more importantly the knees will tend to fall in to line "where they should be"...ie a neutral postion niether in nor out...

Once you establich the neutral position try to practice riding there...more and more, and of course to the mental image of flashing the knees up...

I would think that the pros would also practice riding with knees in just to get a little more aero...

Lastly watch your knees if the come up straight then kinda pop outwards at the top...you probably need to raise the seat a bit....and get some physio advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you using flats or clip in? If clip in you might need to move your cleats or get fitted .

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Ya, I always get a kick out of the roadies with their knees way out. Your knees should move straight up and down close to the bike. Anything else is asking not to be able to ride due to knee pain.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    Ya, I always get a kick out of the roadies with their knees way out. .

.....?

Ride More, Whine Less

You should go to an lbs and get a fit. Your saddle could be too wide, too low, in the wrong position, etc. your feet / cleats could be poorly placed on the pedals. You like need to gain some flexibility, too.

As for my knees, I like a lot of pedal float and I find my knees move in towards the top tube when I loosen up.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    .....?
    I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a roadie with their knees splayed out.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a roadie with their knees splayed out.
    i have numerous times.

mtbr member
    The size of your junk shouldn't affect how wide your knees are when pedaling. When one leg is up, the other one is down. Generally it's advisable to have your genitalia out of the way, you'll need form-fitting undies for this.

My preference is knees straight ahead. Sometimes I tuck them in a little bit thinking there's an aero advantage, but I don't actually believe it matters much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    i have numerous times.

LOL......assuming the bike is exempt here

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Are you using flats or clip in? If clip in you might need to move your cleats or get fitted .
    I'm using SPD's but I don't think I really need to change their position to pedal knees in or out. There is enough freedom in my cleats. I think mostly this is a bad habit I've crept into. There was no knee pain or pressure. Even as I focus on keeping the knee more inline there is no pain or pressure. I noticed last night that it seems to becoming more natural to keep the knees in.

Gnarly
    I developed MCL pain a few months ago. Medial Collateral Ligament is the knee ligament located on the inner side of the knee joint.

I had a tendancy to ride with my knees turning inward rather than straight ahead. This was a riding style I developed with road cycling. My improper knee placement has put strain on this ligament. I am working with my cross fit coach to correct this habit because it has effected my weight lift technique specifically when doing squats. My knees start to rotate inward especially when I'm adding heavier weights. I'm now making a conscious effort to ride with my knees straight.

Its better to make the corrections now rather than undo old habits.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Flexibility issue is a real possibility. Might want to look into some IT band stretches.