Thread: Knee issues

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Knee issues

Wasn't sure what the correct forum was for this questions but I figured this was as good as any...

I'm new to HTs having ridden FS bikes for the past 15 years. I recently built out a Honzo because I "needed" a HT to compliment my FS bike and to pull double duty with some neighborhood riding with the kids. What it comes down to is this:

After I ride my FS I feel great with absolutely no problems.

After I ride my HT my knees feel wrecked for a day or two afterwards.

What gives? Am I doing something wrong or is this just a symptom of wrecked knees and getting older (41)? My problems only arise after riding trails, I can ride concrete all day with no problems. Any ideas for me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven1three View Post
    Wasn't sure what the correct forum was for this questions but I figured this was as good as any...

I'm new to HTs having ridden FS bikes for the past 15 years. I recently built out a Honzo because I "needed" a HT to compliment my FS bike and to pull double duty with some neighborhood riding with the kids. What it comes down to is this:

After I ride my FS I feel great with absolutely no problems.

After I ride my HT my knees feel wrecked for a day or two afterwards.

What gives? Am I doing something wrong or is this just a symptom of wrecked knees and getting older (41)? My problems only arise after riding trails, I can ride concrete all day with no problems. Any ideas for me?
    Has your seatpost height changed between each bike? Has the chainring width decreased or increased?

mtbr member
    Can you elaborate where exactly and how your knees hurt after you ride your HT?
    Saddle height would be the obvious answer but could be many things such as float or general positioning. It's not a fool-proof method but when you have the pain then going back on the HT when is the pain the worst such as when pedaling while climbing, descending, while standing etc? That can sometimes give you an idea what causes the pain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have both bikes set up the same as far as cockpit (same seats even) and seat height go. The only other real difference is one has a 32 tooth chainring and the other (HT) has a 34 tooth.

The pain is actually in the joints themselves. Maybe inside and behind my kneecaps and only when I actuate the joint. The pain is like a a small sharp pain; not a muscular pain at all.

The pain is not obvious during rides but shows up later in the evening or the next day and lasts for a day or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven1three View Post
    I have both bikes set up the same as far as cockpit (same seats even) and seat height go. The only other real difference is one has a 32 tooth chainring and the other (HT) has a 34 tooth.

The pain is actually in the joints themselves. Maybe inside and behind my kneecaps and only when I actuate the joint. The pain is like a a small sharp pain; not a muscular pain at all.

The pain is not obvious during rides but shows up later in the evening or the next day and lasts for a day or two.
    When you state the setup is the same between the bikes are you taking suspension sag into consideration? Also, same crank length on both bikes?

I don't think the ring size would make a significant difference.

mtbr member
    In general HT's are going to be rougher on the body VS full suss. Riding technique between the two is diff also so if your riding both the same it could very well be the answer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    When you state the setup is the same between the bikes are you taking suspension sag into consideration? Also, same crank length on both bikes?

I don't think the ring size would make a significant difference.
    This is an interesting point. One I wouldn't think of because I don't have a FS. The "general" rule for seat height I have heard is pain the the front, seat too low. Pain the in back, seat too high. But the severity of the pain would be a concern to me regardless.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Great info guys! I'm going to start with seat height and work from there. It very well could be technique as well as I ride both the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I used to get the same knee pain under the knee cap.. turns out my seat was too far back. Dont forget about fore/aft seat adjustments
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

official eMpTyBRain
    As mentioned above, no mater what, a HT is going to beat you up compared to a FS. That's why I am strictly a FS rider when it comes to rolling on dirt/rocks. Even on smooth fire/service roads, I can feel a big difference between the two.

Now, do both bikes have the same pedals?

Do you wear the same shoes for either bike?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation