Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knee Damage from seat being lower a inch or so?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr. Lynch 
#1 ·
I normally ride with my seat a inch or two lower than what it should be to help move my butt toward the rear easier. Would this call long term damage to joints? Been thinking about just putting tape on the seat and when I ride trails lower it, when I ride greenway raise it.

#3 ·
I've found I get pain in the tendon above my kneecap if my seat is too low. If you're not in pain, then you are probably not having any negative effect. Some people like to pedal with their feet more in front of them, too. With your seat slid back on the rails and running a little lower, you might be perfectly comfortable. Although, then you have to get even further back to clear your saddle on sketchy sections.

-F

PS - I have been riding with my feet flat, not toes-down, and it helps give me an extra inch of leg extension to work around the saddle. It feels a little weird.

#5 ·
How can this be so? I'm talking about lowering the seat enough to be able to move behind it.

I've found I get pain in the tendon above my kneecap if my seat is too low. If you're not in pain, then you are probably not having any negative effect. Some people like to pedal with their feet more in front of them, too. With your seat slid back on the rails and running a little lower, you might be perfectly comfortable. Although, then you have to get even further back to clear your saddle on sketchy sections.

-F

PS - I have been riding with my feet flat, not toes-down, and it helps give me an extra inch of leg extension to work around the saddle. It feels a little weird.
Thanks! I'v been moving around on the saddle to see which position I like more as well as toes down vs flat.

#6 ·
If you are young, and not experiencing any knee pain, and are just riding (not racing, or riding endurance epics...) then there is no problem. When I was young, I rode all types of bikes. Sometimes I was too stretched out, sometimes my knees came to my elbows, didn't care, just rode. But now as an older guy with a couple knee operations behind me (not biking related), I need to have my bike dialed in just right. If you are going for optimum performance, small changes in crank arm length, stem length, bar rise and seat height can have a major impact on fit, feel, comfort and performance.
Good Luck.

#11 ·
I rode with my seat an inch or two low for years. No knees issues at all. It does work your thighs more than a proper position, but I never had any issues.

I now have a dropper post, but the only time I have the seat all the way up is for climbing or mellow flat sections between or on the way to the trail.

#12 ·
what kind of seat post do you use Mr. Lynch? Most of the time I'm on the greenways doing endurance or cardio. I will use the gears for a more "resistance" workout. But when I hit the trials I like the seat to be a tad bit lower to move around on.

Looked at the rockshox

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.