Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Keep or send back WTB weirwolf race tires

Cross posted from wheels and tires. So I found a deal on these and the site claimed they were 545 grams. Anyways, these were on sale and I figured I would race on them next season or at least try them. Well they're 690 grams and 740 grams so I do not plan to race on them. Today I looked at WTB's site and they're listed as 700 grams. I have no clue how someone could make a mistake like that. Anyways, I already have training tires, but if anyone thinks I cannot go wrong using these heavy training tires let me know because I plan on sending them back. These are 2.1 size.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

p_h
    mtbr member
    Don't be a baby, put them on your bike and pedal harder.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It looks like you ordered them from pricepoint. Based on my experience with pricepoint, I believe they actually weigh the stuff themselves (rather than posting manufacturer listed weights like many sites do). In most cases that's a good thing because tire manufacturers are notorious for posting the "most optimistic" weight, and the tires almost always weigh more the the manufacturer listed weight. I think whoever weighed them or entered the weights into the system at pricepoint, just made a mistake. I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one on you. I'm sure you can return them if you don't like them. At least let them know so they can fix the weight.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

TRANCER
    I also saw these on chainlove posted at the same weight of 5 hundred something grams. Not just pricepoint. I almost ordered them but there were a few things that weren't clear while ordering them. So I said screw it and just passed on them I think it's a way to catch as many people as they can. This is a heads up. Do your homework people.
    Ride

mtbr member
    I would keep them. Your training tires will wear out eventually. Or get shredded. I find I almost always need tires. I never pass up a good deal on them.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I got them from Chainlove. Pricepoint and every other site had the tires for the claimed 545 grams. I figured it would be a decent weight for a racing tire. Not too light to puncture and not too heavy. I have two sets of training tires already and a friend wanted these so I sold them to him at cost.

Brew - I agree with you. That's why I made this post. I want to put more miles on my mtb this year since I want to be racing so I figured I would wear out some tires riding to the trails. I was hoping someone would chime in and say these would be good racing tires or not. They were the old design so I should be able to pick them up again if I want to.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I agree trailville. This was my first purchase and they had them on earlier that day. I missed them due to me reading about the tire and I ordered them later that night. I thought I had done my research, but I obviously didn't do enough. I had 30 days no questions asked to return them. I would lose money on shipping so that's why I was determining on keeping them as a training tire b/c I would need a training tire sooner or later. Thanks for the replies everyone.

mtbr member
    Take a dump before you ride and you'll lose the 340 grams that's preventing you from attaining the podium..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Did you possibly get a wire bead instead of a folding bead? That could be the difference in weight.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I know nothing about those particular tires but a few times I've caught online retailers listing the 26" weight for a 29" part. Chances are, their website manager doesn't know the difference and posted the 26" weight. Honest mistake. I say return them if you're not going to use them. I have a box full of tires that I bought and didn't like and it sounds like your WTBs will be headed to your similar location...

And in the future, maybe do some more research before you buy a bike part. I always check reviews, actual weights, etc. here on MTBR and also through Google search before I pull the trigger on ANYTHING

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    Take a dump before you ride and you'll lose the 340 grams that's preventing you from attaining the podium..
    People always make these dumb posts when weight is brought up. With or without your advice a lighter bike is a lighter bike. Plus, doesn't everyone take a dump right before lining up?
    Keep the Country country.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I say send them back. That 340g dump may make the total weight of bike and rider less, but it won't improve the handling any.

Now if it was 40g...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    THATS why you should buy stuff from your LBS instead of the blood sucking interwebs!!