Thread: Ka-whack!

mtbr member

Ka-whack!

I don't remember coming home.

https://imgur.com/gallery/R7468SI

mtbr member
    I agree peds need to pay attention to bikers too, not just cars.

But was it really that bad that you got a dislocated knee cap and broken helmet and passed out?
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would've hit him. He's much softer than the ground.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xblitzkriegx View Post
    I would've hit him. He's much softer than the ground.
    +1

Probably would have ended much better if it weren't for the slick man hole cover. Easy to see the front suddenly let go as you hit it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    I agree peds need to pay attention to bikers too, not just cars.

But was it really that bad that you got a dislocated knee cap and broken helmet and passed out?
    Yeah, I hit really hard.

Parking Lot Poser
    Kinda looks like when you locked up the brakes you were on the man hole cover, and you slid out.

Canít say Iím surprised; people tend to have their heads so far up their ass they have little to no awareness of, well..... anything around them.

Natural reaction is to try and avoid the pedestrian/car/animal or whatever happens to inadvertently cross your path.

While youíre recovering watch quicksilver a few times to get youíre mojo back.

All the best, and hope you feel better soon

Ka-whack!-51243358-abfd-4edf-9233-af8cbd37f235.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I understand you had the right of way, but if you want to live you might want to slow down at intersections. You look like you are seriously hauling ass in that video. When I ride in the city, I assume that everyone is an idiot and ride much more carefully. Also keep in mind that when there is an accident involving a bike, the cyclist is almost always considered at fault, even when they aren't. There was a whole issue of Bicycling magazine concerning this subject and a lot of horror stories from riders hit by cars and then held liable for the accident even when it wasn't their fault.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Good thing that was not an off leash dog, OR ELSE!

Need a bell! Heal up, got to hurt hitting the pavement like that.

mtbr member
    Next time do the move where you ram him and then wrap your arms around him so he breaks your fall.

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Next time do the move where you ram him and then wrap your arms around him so he breaks your fall.
    Thatís called a form tackle

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I understand you had the right of way, but if you want to live you might want to slow down at intersections. You look like you are seriously hauling ass in that video. When I ride in the city, I assume that everyone is an idiot and ride much more carefully. Also keep in mind that when there is an accident involving a bike, the cyclist is almost always considered at fault, even when they aren't. There was a whole issue of Bicycling magazine concerning this subject and a lot of horror stories from riders hit by cars and then held liable for the accident even when it wasn't their fault.
    I get super cautious as well. Not usually so much when traffic is flowing freely, but if traffic is backed up like in this case, yet the bike lane is free, I definitely ride cautiously. Dunno if OP was saying anything when that ped walked out in the bike lane without looking, but I probably would have been bellowing a "whoa" or "hey" or something to get them to notice me.

It's definitely truth about cyclists being considered "at fault" by default. I remember a case where a school bus driver right-hooked a cyclist (who was in a bike lane, riding about as legally and safely as possible), and the cyclist was literally squashed under the back tires of the bus. As far as I can tell, the bus partially passed the cyclist and then turned right into him when they were alongside each other. Absolutely nothing happened to the bus driver. I don't even think there were consequences from her employer. Yeah, I don't mess around when riding on pavement. I'm nervous to do it around here, though. Narrow, twisty roads and whatnot. Though I did just buy a house in a slightly different area, and it looks like the roads in the immediate vicinity of my neighborhood are quiet enough. I saw two cyclists out yesterday. It is a good area to get some climbing work in, at least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'd be more inclined to do an endo stop, and while the back wheel is still in the air, plant a delicate kiss on his forehead and say "Een my country, we married now".

I hope you heal up soon, Ernesto, those injuries sound scary. But... you're not entirely blameless in this incident. The time between the pedestrian visibly stepping onto the road and the collision was a full two seconds and you were still going full speed at the 1.2 sec mark when you started to take avoiding action. If you had your brake levers covered and your senses on maximum alert then it wouldn't have even been an anecdote-worthy incident, just another mildly annoying having-to-slow-down scenario.

We had a similar incident made the front page news in the UK recently, except on this occasion the pedestrian died and the cyclist got locked up for 18 months (BBC News). He didn't do himself any favours with his attitude after the crash; also he was riding a fixed-wheel track bike with no front brake, which isn't road legal.

In short, you absolutely have to assume that people are going to do the stupidest thing possible, because it's a numbers game and every now and then that's exactly what will happen. For a cyclist this is normally protecting oneself against motor vehicles, but there's an obligation to look out for those who are more vulnerable regardless of dumb behaviour on their part. That incident in the BBC link above gave every cyclist-hating numpty an excuse to air their odious opinions despite the fact that the number of pedestrians killed by cyclists is vanishingly small compared to the number of pedestrians (or cyclists) killed by motor vehicles. Don't give the haters the satisfaction.
    M¶dgemagnet

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I would try to land on the jaywalker. Speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    I do remember reading on that accident in the UK.