Thread: k2 base 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2008

k2 base 2.0

whats up guys ... im brand new to the forums and i just bought a k2 base 2.0 but i cant seem to find anything on this bike as far as mods or even reviews. Anyone here have one?Did i make a good choice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTSHOX
    whats up guys ... im brand new to the forums and i just bought a k2 base 2.0 but i cant seem to find anything on this bike as far as mods or even reviews. Anyone here have one?Did i make a good choice?
    Looks like a recent entry level K2 offering. You might need to do the first review. Component mods apply to any bike.

Why did you pick this particular bike?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I chose this bike because i wanted a full supsension up to date bike. Of course I have to like the way the bike looks. I wanted white and this was in my opinion the best option, price wise. I got it at REI and I love the comfort so far.

I dont do any extreme biking, I just mainly use it for Road and some Trails. No actual mountain or rock use. I prob. wont need to do any upgrades anytime soon but so far so good.

I dont know much about bikes or components but hopefully some people can post their thoughts when they get this bike too. I would like to know what some good upgrades would be for this bike for future reference.

Cookin' in AZ
    Here is a link to info about the bike.

As far as upgrades go, wait until something breaks before you upgrade.

http://www.k2bikes.com/index.php?bra...&show=Expanded
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This space intentionally left blank

beautiful jackass
    First time bike buyers seem to have some sort of weird desire to immediately upgrade stuff. Bikes aren't really like that at first. Typically you own a bike for a while, and feel what needs to be changed out after you know a little more about the bike and what it could use. Also when stuff breaks. When stuff breaks you try to fix the stuff first and then during the process you wind up drinking too many beers and passing out drunk in the front lawn under a sprinkler with a wrench in one hand and a mangled can of Pringles next to you. Then you limp inside and go to Pricepoint and order a bunch of stuff and you have to deal with your wife yelling at you over buying the new gear and you've got a hangover.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Let alone buyers who really don't know what they want except for aesthetics.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

That's exactly it!!!

Just remember to shut off the gas to the welding torch BEFORE you pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey
    First time bike buyers seem to have some sort of weird desire to immediately upgrade stuff. Bikes aren't really like that at first. Typically you own a bike for a while, and feel what needs to be changed out after you know a little more about the bike and what it could use. Also when stuff breaks. When stuff breaks you try to fix the stuff first and then during the process you wind up drinking too many beers and passing out drunk in the front lawn under a sprinkler with a wrench in one hand and a mangled can of Pringles next to you. Then you limp inside and go to Pricepoint and order a bunch of stuff and you have to deal with your wife yelling at you over buying the new gear and you've got a hangover.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Let alone buyers who really don't know what they want except for aesthetics.
    Gotta impress the rollerbladers out on the MUTs

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So I got a Base 2.0 for 350 (it was missing the shock) from REI's member garage sale. I had no intentions or plans of buying this bike, but how could I pass up that deal?!?! I stuck a Marzocchi 55 TST2, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, and Azonic Outlaws on it. The Tektro brakes really suck. There is hardly any modulation and to get any real power, you have to squeeze the hell out of the levers. As for the drivetrain, its got fairly low end x-5 stuff. It works...but its just not that cool. I would replace it if I had tons of extra cash sitting around. The bike has this strange adjustable stem thing. It eliminates the need for spacers, but if you want the bars a bit lower, the steer tube cover sticks way up. Probably need to chop it off after you decide how high you want the bars. Crankset is low end FSA. Could definitely be upgraded but probably after you snap them.

I've taken it off of 4 foot drops and its held up fine so far. We'll see what it can take soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    a friend of mine got one... his happy with it !
    he´s got the frame & shock & started building his bike.
    here´s a pic :