Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!

Hi guys. I just received this in the mail today. I'm super excited to take it for a spin this weekend. I'm so glad to finally get rid if my seat bag. It rattles around and it looked ugly. I managed to fit a tube, co2 pump (its tiny), park tool patch kit and tire boot, tire levers and co2 canister in there. What do you guys think?

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!-2014-08-21-19.49.34.jpg

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!-2014-08-21-19.49.41.jpg

'Tis but a scratch
    I think it looks like a very simple solution, but man, I struggle to trust it. I'd be reaching back there every 5 minutes checking for my stuff. Nonetheless, I have been thinking about off-loading the Camelbak to get the weight off my back. Interested to see what you think after the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I wouldn't trust myself with it. Let us know how you make out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I think you're going to leave all that stuff out on the trail.

locked - time out
    I am with the others in thinking the stuff is going to come out. I hope I/we are wrong. Looking forward to hearing your results.

mtbr member
    I've been using one for years and I guarantee, you will not lose a thing.
    Everything is cinched so tight, it's a pita to get anything out when you need it.
    Very secure.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I've been using one for years and I guarantee, you will not lose a thing.
    Everything is cinched so tight, it's a pita to get anything out when you need it.
    Very secure.
    Yep, had one for a while now, first few rides I was checking every so often but it's rock solid.

kgraham11
    If it works for Dicky...

Bad Idea Racing: Infomercial: Day Two

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have these straps and they do work as advertised. They have a video of them hitting them fully loaded with a baseball bat while on a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't understand the advantage.. I can carry so much more in the same space in my saddle bag.. Plus it won't get covered in mud, or get lost.. And I can transfer it from one bike to another in 30 seconds.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    No way would I ever use a strap like that. Definitely a saddle bag if needed, or a Camelbak where I know it isn't going anywhere. I have seen people lose their saddle bags on the trail before, and it sucks.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2336/2500

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!

I have more crap in there now but you get the idea

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use the Race 2 model. It has an elastic band which securely holds the tube, co2, and tire levers to the strap then wraps around the saddle rails just like a saddlebag. These are for people who like minimal excess weight. Yes you can store your stuff in a camelback etc. but I like mine for when I'm going out without a backpack and just water bottles for a quick loop. Works very well. Have never lost anything. As with everything don't knock it til you try it.

And BR advertises these for endurance racers and such. I have the prior iteration of the mutherload and tube tourniquet. I use them both when I go out with my son to help carry his 20" tubes and such as I don't always take a bag when we go ride either.

mtbr member
    Where's the inflator - the thread-on chuck for your C02?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Where's the inflator - the thread-on chuck for your C02?
    I noticed that too. You can keep that screwed on.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

not for me.

I don't want to have to clean my junk before using it every time. I care less about the tube and more about the multitool and the CO2.

It also doesn't do anything for the other things I ride with:
    wallet/keys/phone - I don't leave any of that stuff in my car at the TH and I don't wear jerseys with pockets
    food - I almost always have SOMETHING in my pack for food. a gel, bar, something if I start to bonk, or if my ride is at a time of day that I'm hungry
    first aid kit - I always ride with one. I patch up other riders far more often than myself, but it's proven very useful
    pump - I actually don't carry CO2 on my mtb. I've had enough multi-flat rides that I carry a pump, tube, patch kit, and a tire boot so I can deal with them.

ou2, that knife is a stupid knife for a bike ride. wtf is a fixed blade for on a bike ride? I carry a small multitool that has a small blade on it, and I've never needed anything bigger. and I rarely use the blade I have. I carry the tool more for the pliers than anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why is having any type of knife in the woods stupid? I've used it to get rocks out of my cassette, or cut vines that got tangled.. Never used it and thought, damn that was pretty stupid

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Its a Mountain Lion knife.

mtbr member
    Just not a practical solution. Too many small things it can't carry...
    - CO2 chuck
    - Small patches
    - PowerLink
    - Small multi-tool

So, when you need anything, you're unpacking the wad... then re-situating everything afterward. I get not want a rattle.. but a small rag or paper towel makes great padding - and as a bonus, you can wipe up after your repair.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    not for me.

I don't want to have to clean my junk before using it every time. I care less about the tube and more about the multitool and the CO2.
    I run tubeless so hopefully I will never have to touch this stuff. I usually ride with a camelbak. I like that I can keep all mu "flat tire stuff" in the strap and never have to worry about it.

I also got a little toolbag from same company that I can carry my multitool, keys etc. in. I usually ride in a jersey with pockets.

And as someone else said, that thing is tight. I cant pull the tire levers out of there if I tried. The co2 can be pushed out but it takes a lot of force. I trust it untill otherwise proven.

The co2 inflator is a Leyzine head that is in a ziplock bag behind the tube.(you can see the plastic sticking out in the picture. There is a patch kit and a tire boot in there too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    So, when you need anything, you're unpacking the wad... then re-situating everything afterward.
    Thing is - I run tubeless so I dont get many flats. I will only have to open up the thing if I have a flat or snap a chain which happens far from every year. For me its a good thing to have that stuff tucked away under the seat and not having to worry about it.

mtbr member
    They are bulletproof...I can't see how it can come off. Been running them for a few years. The newest Race 3 is the best version yet. I carry my tube, lever, and CO2 inflator in mine. The other bits go in my Tul Bag that they sell and that gets tossed in my jersey pocket....everything I need and not a PITA at all. These are best for those that maintain their bikes well and/or folks who are minimalists. To the naysayers....it's $12....try it. Work great for dropper posts.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I have a velro strap that holds my tube, mini-tool, tire levers, and sometimes it takes my car keys. Cost $0.99 from a craft store. Works awesome.......

Edit - does not come in funky patterns that the awesome strap is available in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ou2, that knife is a stupid knife for a bike ride. wtf is a fixed blade for on a bike ride? I carry a small multitool that has a small blade on it, and I've never needed anything bigger. and I rarely use the blade I have. I carry the tool more for the pliers than anything.
    You obviously have not experienced the joy of taking a watermelon along for a mid-day snack.

Actually, that knife looks pretty light and why do you care. I always carry a 3.5" blade folding knife in my shorts pocket when riding and don't even notice it's there. Once in a while it's nice to have a larger, easy to clean, blade for cutting salami/cheese, bagel, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I throw it in my bag because it weighs nothing, and fits next to my tube in the main part of my pouch without taking up any space... And I use it.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast