Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    BTW, the Tube Tarp is really a must; your tube will get damaged if you carry it in this config long enough so my recommendo is to use the tube tarp and probably splurge every year or so on a new, $7 tube. for me, it is about aesthetics to some degree and light weight. Agree with a post above...a seat bag on a really nice lightweight bike just doesn't look right.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I got mine a couple weeks ago. No way anything is falling out I carry a tube, lever and mini pump. Its way lighter and actually holds more then the old seat bag it replaced. Also have the tulbag which holds all my other tools and fits nicely in a jersey pocket or into a camelbak.

Only complaint is shipping from Backcountry took almost 2 weeks. I guess they are behind due to there success.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Only complaint is shipping from Backcountry took almost 2 weeks. I guess they are behind due to there success.
    It may take 1-2 weeks because they make your product when they receive your order, queued up in batches of production for similar products. This relatively short wait is the trade off for having so many options of colors and styles offered by a small company, as opposed to offering only generic black for example, in which case they could probably have inventory on hand almost all the time.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Category Winner
    I just got back from a trip out west. I was gonna do a blog post (still might) about doing all eight rides without a pack. I hate wearing a pack. Some of the rides were of little consequence, while others required some planning. On the longer days that started high (cold) I wore a sleeveless jersey, undershirt, baggies, knee warmers and a hat. I carried a light Gore-Tex coat (wrapped in a Tube Tarp) strapped to the top tube with a Mutherload in case things went bad.

I also wore a pair of Giro New Road bibs with pockets in the back. Between that and the jersey, I was able to carry an Olympus TG-3 camera, enough food and water for hours (one bottle in a jersey pocket), a Tülbag with all my essentials, and a Sawyer water filter...

still leaving enough room for me to stow the hat and knee warmers away when it got warmer.

I felt like I had everything I needed. Chain tool/spoke wrench combo, spare link, Gorilla tape, tire boot, tire plug, 4,5,6mm allen wrenches (plus an adapter for 8mm), $20, tube, tire lever, mini-pump, CO2 and inflator.

The Race 3 is an improvement over the 2, in that it's much more user friendly (harder to screw up when mounting). I always run the Tube Tarp now and have very little issues with contamination, although I only have a tube, tire lever, and CO2 back there.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I was wondering when Dicky was going to post on here. I first heard about the Awesome Strap on your blog.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I was wondering when Dicky was going to post on here. I first heard about the Awesome Strap on your blog.
    I have people...

Honestly, whenever this topic comes up, I'll chime in. I have many packs, wear them when I have to, dread when I do. Anything I can do to help people get the fact they may be able to live without the monkey on their back.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    I use a skater backpack with a laptop slot for my water bladder. Has lots of nifty pockets for my stuff. I have used it from pretty much day one and I am used to it. Nice thing is I can carry lots of extra water and snacks without worrying where it will ride on longer ventures. I don't carry a ton of stuff normally. Just the tool kit, extra water bottle, and tire repair stuff.
    I prefer real tools instead of a multi tool. I had a RD failure and my tools saved the day. My nephew looked at it and said You`re screwed without real tools. I carry a 6"crescent wrench, smallish lineman`s pliers. three full sized allen wrenches, 15 mm combination wrench, screwdriver, spoke wrench and a chainbreaker. Not a bunch of stuff but more capable than a multi tool when it comes to more than a minor breakdown. Also have a RD hanger and a few RD parts.
    Your lucky that you can carry all that stuff without it bothering you. I'd be so annoyed and probably get a sore back pretty fast. Someone said "monkey on the back"...it feels like it to me.

mtbr member
    I use a skater backpack with a laptop slot for my water bladder. Has lots of nifty pockets for my stuff. I have used it from pretty much day one and I am used to it. Nice thing is I can carry lots of extra water and snacks without worrying where it will ride on longer ventures. I don't carry a ton of stuff normally. Just the tool kit, extra water bottle, and tire repair stuff.
    I prefer real tools instead of a multi tool. I had a RD failure and my tools saved the day. My nephew looked at it and said You`re screwed without real tools. I carry a 6"crescent wrench, smallish lineman`s pliers. three full sized allen wrenches, 15 mm combination wrench, screwdriver, spoke wrench and a chainbreaker. Not a bunch of stuff but more capable than a multi tool when it comes to more than a minor breakdown. Also have a RD hanger and a few RD parts.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!

I just ordered mine. Did the bundle pack and now the wait begins. I've heard shipping is slow, so at least the expectation is set LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullandmtb View Post
    I just ordered mine. Did the bundle pack and now the wait begins. I've heard shipping is slow, so at least the expectation is set LOL

Cool! I ordered mine on July 14th. They got build on July 29th and shipped on the 31st. Then it tool 14 business days to get shipped here to Canada (looong wait) but that is not really the company's fault. You can probably pay extra for express shipping if you want. I get the feeling that the company is only one guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was going to order a couple of these. Looks like they are out of stock on virtually everything? I'm transitioning into going packless, and a saddle bag is the last missing puzzle. I'd really like to try one of these. I'm also picking up a Barfly coffee bag strap tomorrow to try out as well.

Bar Fly Hopper Saddle Bag ? Tate Labs

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I was going to order a couple of these. Looks like they are out of stock on virtually everything? I'm transitioning into going packless, and a saddle bag is the last missing puzzle. I'd really like to try one of these. I'm also picking up a Barfly coffee bag strap tomorrow to try out as well.

Bar Fly Hopper Saddle Bag ? Tate Labs
    Looks good. Can't wait to hear your review.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Its a Mountain Lion knife.
    That. As for myself, I carry a survival knife with flint , both for protection and survival, also food, flashlight , first aid kit, ul tarp ... all in my Camelbak for those day-long rides in the middle of nowhere.

I often ride at places where there are no cell towers and sometime the only way to a fast evac in case of emergency is by heli. Hell, I'm out in the woods and alone, for me it's an insurance. With that stuff I tip the odd in my favor to make it out alive in case anything happens. Oh and you should see the smile of people I helped because I had exactly what they needed a that time.

Sure when out for a loop at the local trails , this strap would be enough, but we just duct tape our stuff to seatpost :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullandmtb View Post
    Looks good. Can't wait to hear your review.

Just picked it up today from Backcountry.com. Looks to be well made. I like the adjustability of the strap for different sized loads. I have a 29er tube, Crank bros multi tool and a tire lever on there and had to shorten the strap almost all the way. This is good, since that means I can carry much more stuff if needed. I also like the vertical strap, as it shields the tube from the seat tube (bolts). I have a Thomson and the strap rests right on the back bolt, protecting the tube.

I would still like to try the BR straps, though.

Hey Dicky, get your sponsor to stock some more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Went on a 20-miler this morning with some bone jarring descents. The Barfly straps held everything well in place and nothing moved through the whole ride. Nice product.

I also ordered some BR Race 3 straps today, as they just became available again. I'll be testing them out as soon as they're received.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I throw it in my bag because it weighs nothing, and fits next to my tube in the main part of my pouch without taking up any space... And I use it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Keeping an open knife next to my tube would not end well for me when I needed that tube. That's just my luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's not an open knife and its not touching my tube. It has a cover, and there's a separate panel that it fits into, and it has no contact with the tube. Only thing touching my tube is a zip lock bag with bandaids and other first aid stuff.

mtbr member

Just picked it up today from Backcountry.com. Looks to be well made. I like the adjustability of the strap for different sized loads. I have a 29er tube, Crank bros multi tool and a tire lever on there and had to shorten the strap almost all the way. This is good, since that means I can carry much more stuff if needed. I also like the vertical strap, as it shields the tube from the seat tube (bolts). I have a Thomson and the strap rests right on the back bolt, protecting the tube.

I would still like to try the BR straps, though.

Hey Dicky, get your sponsor to stock some more!

I see the tool and the tube, what's the orange thing? Is that the Backcountry bag?

Front Range, Colorado
    What am I missing here? What's the difference between this strap and a seat pack. Besides the fact that the pack keeps everything secure and worry free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!-image.jpg  

Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!-image.jpg  

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    What am I missing here? What's the difference between this strap and a seat pack. Besides the fact that the pack keeps everything secure and worry free.
    Exately. And it looks a lot better in my opinion. I always hated the look of a seat pack but the strap looks badass. Not a big issue for some people but it means a lot to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The orange object is a tire lever. It's not the BR strap, but from Barfly (see post 61). I've got 3 BR straps on order, though.

I like the strap idea over the bag. Weight difference is negligible, so not an advantage there. But it does help to keep he weight low. For instance, my last saddle bag had tube, tools, lever, but also few chain links, derailer hanger, presta/schrdaer adapter, change (yes, coins) and other doo dads. Some of you may say some of that stuff is needed. I think back to my years in mountain biking (1997 to now), and have not used anything other than tubes, tire lever and some Allen wrenches. In fact, I am going to replace that multi tool (15 tools or something like that) with a Blackburn

Also allows me to see exactly what I've got back there. I've assumed I had a tube in the seat bag before only to realize I had used it the prior ride.

Anyway, it's all preference. Use what you like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol so basically the advantage is that you're now less prepared to handle a mechanical failure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Lol so basically the advantage is that you're now less prepared to handle a mechanical failure?

Huh? I use the strap, its 100% secure, and I am 100% ready for a mechanical. I carry a tube, CO2, and a lever in the strap and carry the rest in my Tul Bag in my jersey pocket. This includes a chain tool, quick link, extra CO2, tire boot, and the assorted allen/Torx wrenches. What else do you need?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Phsycle said that he can't carry as much as he could in a saddle bag, and that's a feature to him.

mtbr member
    He also said this-

Anyway, it's all preference. Use what you like.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast