Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    You are living on the edge.
    No doubt. I've carried all the normal essentials in my jersey pockets only for 10+ yrs. Tube in left outside....middle pocket is always a modular cheap see-thru plastic wifes discarded makeup case (holding Co2+inflater, mini tire pump, 2x master links, 3-4 high use allen bolts, zip ties, toilet paper, tire iron, CB19 multi tool, patch kit, duct tape)....right pocket is always for nutrition(Gu's, powerbars, etc).

Any small amount of extra 3-season clothing(arm/knee warmers and wind vest), get crammed in amongst the tube, food, etc.

Never ever have I needed more repair items. Waterbottles (of course) on the frame. Rarely do I ever wear a pack(I hate'm). Sometimes even for a solo all-dayer BS ride at Pisgah(altho I like to carry a 2nd tube for such rides, so it gets taped to the frame somewhere).

I'd try the strap just for the apparently very tight and secure fit. Every saddle bag I've ever tried or otherwise observed..upon heavy use and/or when it gets wet...the straps stretched and came somewhat loose, ending up flopping around, falling off, etc. Even on my roadie they get somewhat saggy where they can't be tightly secured anymore. So I quickly stopped using them even on it.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

I like turtles
    I use their road version on my road bike...works great and they even make hi-viz.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I'm sorry all you "awesome strap" pushers but there hasn't been a single post that gives any advantage over a seat pack. Other than it's "cool looking" and is lighter because it holds less. There is another point I haven't addressed. With a seat pack you pretty much throw what's needed. haphazardly in it. With a strap you have to bundle up a perfect tight little package EVERY time. And in my opinion that sounds like a PITA.

A breakdown of advantages from a strap to a seat
    pack.

Strap advantage
    1] Lighter
    2] cool looking
    3] XC race

Seat pack advantages:
    1] Holds more / makes longer rides possible. Holds food as well as all tools.
    2] Keeps everything dry and mud free.
    3] Stress free of losing anything.
    4] No tight rolled up packing is needed.
    5] No need to carry anything on person / safe.
    6] Always have everything you need in pack.
    Let me just stress again:
    - The strap is just as secure as a seat bag. I've used mine fora while and the stuff hasn't moved 1/8" literally.
    - The strap is not for everybody. If you feel the need to bring more stuff than the strap can hold it is obviously not for you (unless you put stuff in your pockets). It can hold everything I need for my rides (except water) so its perfect for me.
    - I run tubeless (no flats) and I maintain/prepare my bike in between rides so I never need to "unpack everything" from the strap.
    - Again, it looks bad ass compared to a seat bag that looks "old man like" (my opinion)

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am chuckling to myself at the people saying that a seat bag looks like garbage, yet they strap this open ended contraption that looks 100% homemade on there and say that looks better.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4020/6000

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am chuckling to myself at the people saying that a seat bag looks like garbage, yet they strap this open ended contraption that looks 100% homemade on there and say that looks better.
    Yeah, apparently different people have different taste To me the strap looks super cool (minimalistic, functionalistic, form follows function). Beautiful in my eyes.

I like turtles

Re: Just got a Backcountry Awesome strap!

Love the look. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from. Hardly homemade looking.

No. Just No.
    I'm sorry all you "awesome strap" pushers but there hasn't been a single post that gives any advantage over a seat pack.
    To have a seat bag that isn't swinging around to some degree (I hate that feeling) I have to bind it fairly tightly on the seat post, which then causes the action of my dropper to be compromised unless the seat bag is fairly empty. So, strap works better for me with dropper. To me that's all I need right there to justify strap instead of bag. I did mention that in a post quite a bit further up already though, so this is kind of redundant but you say not one post that has any advantages.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I like turtles
    BTW, my favorite seat bag I ever used was my Blackburn rasta.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't understand the aversion to seat bags. But likewise, I guess I'm guilty because I don't see the attraction to the strap. I don't get the "cool" look. Purely aesthetics, I prefer the look of the seat bag. That strap is kinda like laying your toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, deodorant, etc out on the bathroom counter instead of putting it away in a drawer!
    Heck, us in the bag camp don't want to see your yucky ole tubes and CO2! Ewww...!

But I understand, different strokes for different folks. Being a backpacker, I understand minimalists. If it works for you great. I'll keep riding around with my "old man" seat bag though you could look at me and identify me as such without the bag!

Oh and...(cough, cough) I haven't heard anyone in the strap camp claim putting their car keys securely in that strap then laying down 20 miles of trail. Just sayin...

I like turtles
    Keys? They are securely locked in my car..have a Ford..touchpad is the greatest invention ever. Without it, I either zip them in one of the pockets of my baggies or if wearing the spandex, jersey pocket works just fine. Jersey pockets...they hold a lot of crap!

James.Hamilton
    When I learned of these I thought road bike, went out to the garage and in two minutes made one with a velcro strap I had laying around. Having a few seat bags (for my road bike) and carrying a camelbak for the vast majority of MTB rides I do not see me using this on my mountain bike. On my road bike however I do enjoy what it has to offer. It is minimal and doesn't budge. I have modded my seat bags a few times to get it more snug, with this it is tight and won't sag.

One other thing that drew me to this on the road bike is that I and other people I know have had some issue with legs rubbing against the seatbag. Mainly these were with larger bags. The strap lets you tuck as much as you can between the rails and really gets things out of the way.

Something else that made me think was the amount of comments on the time to break it down for access. I don't know about the majority but I rarely use the tools, levers, tubes, etc. Maybe twice a year so the break down for me doesn't weigh in with normal usage. Now my friend seems to break sh*t every ride so he needs the access or better skills

I could see this good on a mtb on race day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Keys? They are securely locked in my car..have a Ford..touchpad is the greatest invention ever. Without it, I either zip them in one of the pockets of my baggies or if wearing the spandex, jersey pocket works just fine. Jersey pockets...they hold a lot of crap!
    I'm with you on the keypad. That is the one most missed feature on my old Explorer. Why every manufacturer doesn't do this is beyond me.

I like turtles
    ^^^No idea. My Focus didn't come with it but you can bet I paid $125 for the dealer to add it. For active folks...its a blessing. No more stuffing the key under the wheel well when surfing/biking!

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Hamilton View Post
    When I learned of these I thought road bike, went out to the garage and in two minutes made one with a velcro strap I had laying around. Having a few seat bags (for my road bike) and carrying a camelbak for the vast majority of MTB rides I do not see me using this on my mountain bike. On my road bike however I do enjoy what it has to offer. It is minimal and doesn't budge. I have modded my seat bags a few times to get it more snug, with this it is tight and won't sag.

One other thing that drew me to this on the road bike is that I and other people I know have had some issue with legs rubbing against the seatbag. Mainly these were with larger bags. The strap lets you tuck as much as you can between the rails and really gets things out of the way.

Something else that made me think was the amount of comments on the time to break it down for access. I don't know about the majority but I rarely use the tools, levers, tubes, etc. Maybe twice a year so the break down for me doesn't weigh in with normal usage. Now my friend seems to break sh*t every ride so he needs the access or better skills

I could see this good on a mtb on race day.
    The Awesome Strap (Camrat is their road version) is really much nicer than a simple velcro strap. Its got non-slip material on it to keep things put and it has two small elastic straps to pack your gear on the strap before installing. Finally, the current version installs super-fast. For $12...order one and find out!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm sorry all you "awesome strap" pushers but there hasn't been a single post that gives any advantage over a seat pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    To have a seat bag that isn't swinging around to some degree (I hate that feeling) I have to bind it fairly tightly on the seat post, which then causes the action of my dropper to be compromised unless the seat bag is fairly empty. So, strap works better for me with dropper. To me that's all I need right there to justify strap instead of bag. I did mention that in a post quite a bit further up already though, so this is kind of redundant but you say not one post that has any advantages.
    I like how you cut down my entire post to just the one sentence that fitted your needs.

I'm sorry all you "awesome strap" pushers but there hasn't been a single post that gives any advantage over a seat pack. Other than it's "cool looking" and is lighter because it holds less. There is another point I haven't addressed. With a seat pack you pretty much throw what's needed. haphazardly in it. With a strap you have to bundle up a perfect tight little package EVERY time. And in my opinion that sounds like a PITA.

A breakdown of advantages from a strap to a seat
    pack.

Strap advantage
    1] Lighter
    2] cool looking
    3] XC race

Seat pack advantages:
    1] Holds more / makes longer rides possible. Holds food as well as all tools.
    2] Keeps everything dry and mud free.
    3] Stress free of losing anything.
    4] No tight rolled up packing is needed.
    5] No need to carry anything on person / safe.
    6] Always have everything you need in pack.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by wncgoater View Post
    i don't understand the aversion to seat bags. But likewise, i guess i'm guilty because i don't see the attraction to the strap. I don't get the "cool" look. Purely aesthetics, i prefer the look of the seat bag. That strap is kinda like laying your toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, deodorant, etc out on the bathroom counter instead of putting it away in a drawer!
    Heck, us in the bag camp don't want to see your yucky ole tubes and co2! Ewww...!

But i understand, different strokes for different folks. Being a backpacker, i understand minimalists. If it works for you great. I'll keep riding around with my "old man" seat bag though you could look at me and identify me as such without the bag!

Oh and...(cough, cough) i haven't heard anyone in the strap camp claim putting their car keys securely in that strap then laying down 20 miles of trail. Just sayin...

Topeak makes some nice seat packs.

topeak packs - Yahoo Image Search Results
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a spare key that I keep in one of the zipper compartments of my seat bag. Audi hasn't mastered the key pad yet. My Bronco had it though and I do miss it. I just don't miss the 8mpg. I'm waiting to see a strap on the trail, but all I see are ugly seat bags lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I like turtles

They are uncommon...a niche product for the cool kids

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They are uncommon...a niche product for the cool kids
    Ahh, got it. Only allowed in the "cool club".

I've been wondering why I get funny looks at my rear-view mirror on my Rockhopper. Do you guys have any ideas?

Just kidding, I don't really have a rear-view on my mtb. (cough, cough)

Are we really done debating this strap versus seat pack issue. I think the strap camp ran out of advantages.
    Front Range, Colorado.

I like turtles
    The strap goes to 11?

I like turtles
    I just got a tattoo that says "Strap forever *****es!".

I like turtles
    Bag > strap. Better for keeping your weed in if you are into that sort of thing. Strap + bag of weed...likely fail.

I like turtles
    We could have a flat-off whereby we do a head-to-head competition for changing a flat with someone using the strap and someone using a seat bag. Kinda like a death-match.

We could have a flat-off whereby we do a head-to-head competition for changing a flat with someone using the strap and someone using a seat bag. Kinda like a death-match.
    Because the dude with the seat pack would be sitting on a rock eating his PB&J sandwich he carried in his pack. Contemplating which one of his plethora of tools he brought which one to use.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Because the dude with the seat pack would be sitting on a rock eating his PB&J sandwich he carried in his pack. Contemplating which one of his plethora of tools he brought which one to use.
    Front Range, Colorado.

I like turtles

Not sure I want to eat a PBJ from a seat bag...but one of these from my jersey pocket...

Not sure I want to eat a PBJ from a seat bag...but one of these from my jersey pocket...
    If you fell on that it could be the end of you.
    Front Range, Colorado.

I like turtles
    Hahaha

mtbr member
    Every time I see this thread I think about getting one and since it refuses to die I guess I've got no choice but to pony up the $12 and see what all the hubbub is about, dag-nabbit. Going with the chili pepper, nice marketing BR!

I understand that some folks just want to hang out in the woods eating pb&j's and fine tuning their derailleurs and brakes, and that's all good by me but when I'm out there my priority is to ride, all that other mundane business can wait until later.

Less is more!

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Every time I see this thread I think about getting one and since it refuses to die I guess I've got no choice but to pony up the $12 and see what all the hubbub is about, dag-nabbit. Going with the chili pepper, nice marketing BR!

I understand that some folks just want to hang out in the woods eating pb&j's and fine tuning their derailleurs and brakes, and that's all good by me but when I'm out there my priority is to ride, all that other mundane business can wait until later.

Less is more!
    So your lady friends are alright with that.
    Mine prefer to stop for a PB&J sammage break.
    Front Range, Colorado.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Less is more!
    Good on 'ya! Grab a few other bits...the Tul Bag is great for your small stuff and the Tube Tourniquet is AWESOME for strapping your battery to your bike for night rides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Oubiously, this is not for everybody. One thing that I think the "seat bag camp" is getting wrong is the accessibility issue. The strap is not for getting stuff out of during rides. Its not for food, pb&j, weed etc. Ideally (in my case) what is in the strap should never come out of there. I run tubeless so I "never" have flats. I do maintenance in between rides so I dont need tools during the ride.

If you need to access stuff during a ride, the strap is not for you.

I like turtles
    15% off for a few days at www.backcountryreserach.com

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Oubiously, this is not for everybody. One thing that I think the "seat bag camp" is getting wrong is the accessibility issue. The strap is not for getting stuff out of during rides. Its not for food, pb&j, weed etc. Ideally (in my case) what is in the strap should never come out of there. I run tubeless so I "never" have flats. I do maintenance in between rides so I dont need tools during the ride.

Just because you do maintenance in between your rides rides does not make you immune to a break down 20 miles out. With a seat bag everything is there to fix the bike and enjoy a lunch while doing it.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Might have to pick up one for the road bike since it's 15% off. But you guys do bring up a good point on weed transportation issues without a giant saddle bag.

I like turtles

Your stuff that you may need quick access to should be carried in your Tul Bag in your jersey pocket or just your jersey pocket in general. One issue I will warn you about. I had a tube in my strap for over a year. I did flat out a few months ago due to sealant drying out. when I got my stuff out to put my tube in..it had gotten worn on the crease and had a tear..fail. Bummed one from a buddy and kept riding. But just a caution..check your tube every few months and make sure it is ok. Finally, it you fold it up the way it comes out of the box you shouldn't have an issue; I did mine super-anal like and folded it so the valve was in the middle (if this makes sense to you) and this is what probably caused the early failure. Folding it this way allows it to fold flatter but I won't be doing that anymore!

15 % off are you kidding me they actually charge money for this little strap. I could cut one off of a fanny pack that hasn't been used since a 1978' ski trip.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Boys have a penis and girls have a vagina.

I like turtles

Just to show those that are unfamiliar. ...it's not just a strap. You attach your gear to it first using the bungee and it is held with the non-slip backing. Then you install on your post.

Just to show those that are unfamiliar. ...it's not just a strap. You attach your gear to it first using the bungee and it is held with the non-slip backing. Then you install on your post.
    And it's a pain in the ass to wrap up into a tiny little package EVERY time to "reinstall" it on the bike. Why not haphazardly throw everything in the seat pack and be on your way.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    And it's a pain in the ass to wrap up into a tiny little package EVERY time to "reinstall" it on the bike. Why not haphazardly throw everything in the seat pack and be on your way.
    I dont think you guys from "seat bag camp" are ever gonna understand (which is ok). This is NOT a seat bag. It is something else. It doesnt replace a seat bag. You have to rethink your way of packing whatever supplies you are bringing on your bike.

As I've said before in thins thread, I'm a minimalist. I have not flats and less than one "mechanical" a year. I also usually ride trails that dont get too far away from the parking lot. Not that I have ever walked home.

The ONLY times I have had my strap off since I got it is to show it to people. If you need to repack/reinstall before every ride, this strap is not for you.

I like turtles
    I have used the stuff in my strap exactly once since having it...this isn't something you mess with much. If you need the CO2 you just slide it out. I need to make a video...it's really easy to deal with.

I like turtles

I dont think you guys from "seat bag camp" are ever gonna understand (which is ok). This is NOT a seat bag. It is something else. It doesnt replace a seat bag. You have to rethink your way of packing whatever supplies you are bringing on your bike.

As I've said before in thins thread, I'm a minimalist. I have not flats and less than one "mechanical" a year. I also usually ride trails that dont get too far away from the parking lot. Not that I have ever walked home.

The ONLY times I have had my strap off since I got it is to show it to people. If you need to repack/reinstall before every ride, this strap is not for you.
    Exactly. BTW...this is an entertaining thread!

occ member
    I'm gonna make my own. It's going to be a combination of the awesome strap and a saddle bag. I'm going to call it: "Awesome Sack"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    Mountain bikers often have single track minds, get it?

Mat I respect all in the a "Strap camp". I wasn't the one that compared the strap to a seat pack first. There really isn't a comparison. The seat pack has many more advantages I over the strap. Your statement about maintaining your bike in between rides so you don't have repair issues while riding floored me. No maintenance in the world can prevent a break down. Sure it helps but it doesn't make you immune to it. And when the inevitable happens don't you want to be prepared to fix almost anything plus eat a good meal.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mat I respect all in the a "Strap camp". I wasn't the one that compared the strap to a seat pack first. There really isn't a comparison. The seat pack has many more advantages I over the strap. Your statement about maintaining your bike in between rides so you don't have repair issues while riding floored me. No maintenance in the world can prevent a break down. Sure it helps but it doesn't make you immune to it. And when the inevitable happens don't you want to be prepared to fix almost anything plus eat a good meal.
    Your right! I came across a bit too black/white there. Fast is still that in my experience over the last few years, keeping your bike clean, lubed, tuned etc. really does make a huge difference when it comes to breakdowns. I've probably been lucky but I very rarely have any problems with my bike on the trail. Of course there is the "stick in rear mech" and that kind of thing that will always screw you up. I havent tried it yet after 1000s of miles. Knock on wood.

I understand that having a seat bag with a der. hanger, duct tape and all that is amazing when you finally need that one day out of a hundred. For me, its not worth it.

I like turtles

I just don't see the issue...here is what I carry in my Tul Bag in my jersey pocket along with my Epipen and whatever food etc. I need. This is in addition to the CO2 inflator, lever, and tube in my strap. I also tossed in a spoke wrench and derailleur hanger which I don't normally carry just to show what I have room for. If I can't fix it with this I am walking anyway. When I used to use a Camelbak I carried the same items. When I used a seat bag I carried the same items.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So let me get this straight.

You use something called a "Tul Bag" to put your loose gear in then

...you have to buy a biking specific jersey because...

... you need the Jersey pockets to put stuff in and every jersey I've ever seen has three pockets.

...you put your Tul Bag in a one of the multiple jersey pockets 'cause you gotta have somewhere to put the Tul bag.

...and then you get this "uber-cool awesome strap" to put things that don't go in the multiple jersey pockets (?) and you strap doo-dads into it cinching them down tightly under the seat because, well, you never need or use this stuff anyway. Except when you need a tube and you find it has been cinch down so tight that it now has a pinched crease and won't hold air.

...so you have all your gear stuffed in multiple places

... and add other stuff to the jersey including your PBJ and weed

...And you call yourselves "minimalists"?

Just a thought, but, wouldn't it be simpler to put it all in one place in a compact area. Let's see, like maybe a bag of some sort. Heck someone could design a sleek, streamlined looking, zippered bag that straps neatly under the seat to hold all your necessities in one place.

Of course, that doesn't make sense because it makes more sense to be cool rather than functional and practical.

Us old doods don't get it, but we quit being cool long ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    And to top it off you spend 12 bucks for a piece of Velcro.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast