Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    All this harmonica stuff
    Nutrition and Hydration

FREE!!!

Whatever it is you do to make your bike faster, start w/ your own-self first. I felt pretty foolish walking around at the Beach during HS w/ my lightweight Araya 7L's...
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post

As someone who built too many bikes to count, I agree that it can be lighter (or whatever you want it to be).... but cheaper? Usually not.

Yes, you can be patient and find great deals on discounted and used stuff and build custom for cheaper than many people realize, but if you put that same energy into looking for discounted or used complete bikes, you will get it even cheaper.

However, the price comparison is a little beside the point, because you are likely not building the same bike you would buy complete. I build custom because it is the only way to get exactly what I want, or because I already have a lot of the needed parts (so in that sense it is cheaper).
    Yes I agree. My previous post was of the mindset to spend a bit more up front to get a lighter bike. As opposed to buying a heaiver bike to start with and then spending a $1000 to drop a few pounds.

As to custom builds, my 2008 Superlight was done on the cheap. You're right on custom being usually more expensive, except one does spend extra $$$ making changes and upgrades on an of the shelf bike to make the bike what you want. A wash in many cases. My LBS is where I bought the frame and fork. Got lucky on the custom wheels thru Universalcycles. The rest was a mix of "last year's" parts that I snapped up over the previous year or two for my collection and buying current stuff on sale.

My custom XT build came in at about a $100 less than the XT package offered by Santa Cruz. Got lucky and ended up with something that I had no need to upgrade.

And if it matters in this discussion my 24lbs HT does feel faster than my 26.5lbs SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How much weight do you typically lose going tubeless?

mtbr member
    It really depends. Tubes can be 100-150g+

Mine were about 120g a piece. My wheelset didn't require any rim tape or sealant. So I lost 240g right there. I also put some lighter tires on and lost about another 400g.

That is about a 1.5 lbs.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismtnman View Post
    How much weight you lose (if any) is going to depend on what tubes you were running to start with, and what sort of conversion you do.

When I went tubeless, pretty much all the weight I lost was in the lighter rims. I re-used my hubs, and had them built up with the same kind of spokes and nipples, used the same tires. All but around 100 grams (between both wheels) was accounted for just in the difference in rim weight (xm321 to Flow). I used superlight tubes, so that might have had something to do with it.

On the other hand, if you were running heavy tubes, you will lose more weight.

Weight is really not the main reason to go tubeless, IMO.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

I like pie.
    Assuming you don't have to go to a heavier tire, subtract the weight of two tubes. Then add in the weight of the sealer and tubeless rim strips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't need strips. Wondering how much the Stan's weighs you put in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just looked up the weight of my tubes - 210 grams each. If the weight of the Stan's is negligible, I will have cut almost a pound off my bike down to 22.5 without pedals and in the most important part of the bike for losing weight. Awesome!

Just need to get the @#$#@$ things to seat.

I like pie.
    Y
    I just looked up the weight of my tubes - 210 grams each. If the weight of the Stan's is negligible, I will have cut almost a pound off my bike down to 22.5 without pedals and in the most important part of the bike for losing weight. Awesome!

Just need to get the @#$#@$ things to seat.
    you'll need an air compressor. Figure on 2 or 3 oz of Stan's per wheel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3