robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

joe blow pump - replacement hose?

my beloved JB has dry rotted. any suggestions of where to get a replacement hose?

TIA and gratzi,

-capt pearl
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    ~ Aristotle

"Faster equals more funner" -Ashwinearl

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    give topeak a call, they have helped me out on pump parts before, great people to work with

mtbr member
    try contacting Topeak http://www.topeak.com/, i know blackburn offers lifetime warranties on their pumps but i'm not sure about Topeak.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    Just go to Napa and get the same diameter hose, and slap it on.

Front Range, Colorado
    joe blow pump - replacement hose?
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    my beloved JB has dry rotted. any suggestions of where to get a replacement hose?

TIA and gratzi,

-capt pearl
    I don't know but this whole thing sound's rather personal.

On a more serious note where do you keep your JB that it would get dry rot? Mine only see's daylight while it sits in the back seat of my truck while I'm riding. All the other times it is in the garage [under cover].

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrsddn
    Just go to Napa and get the same diameter hose, and slap it on.
    really. no big issues with hooking it back up? i haven't tried to disassemble yet. - thx for the tip.

storage - kept in back of car, garage, shed. not often in direct sun. but in the humid south.
    ~ Aristotle

Front Range, Colorado
    really. no big issues with hooking it back up? i haven't tried to disassemble yet. - thx for the tip.

storage - kept in back of car, garage, shed. not often in direct sun. but in the humid south.
    Did you keep it in the back of the car for long lengths of time? Not a good idea with the windows magnifying the UV rays.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006

Once you disassemble it you will see how it will go. Just make sure it will withstand 120 lbs of pressure, and the ID is the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Topeak had a 25 year warranty when I bought my JB...about 10 years ago. Contact them, they've been very helpful, great service...

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004
    Once you disassemble it you will see how it will go. Just make sure it will withstand 120 lbs of pressure, and the ID is the same.
    this sounds interesting. Do I just take the hose to NAPA and they can match? If Topeak won't fix it, I'll definitely try this.

thx

capt pearl
    ~ Aristotle

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kramnnim
    Topeak had a 25 year warranty when I bought my JB...about 10 years ago. Contact them, they've been very helpful, great service...
    Sound's like the right advice to me. Why would you do a Mickey Mouse repair when Topeak will fix it the right way. IMO Topeak builds some of the best quality products and has the best customer support in the biking industry.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    I don't think replacing a hose is a mickey mouse repair. But if the warranty is still in effect, and they cover things like hoses, Then that is the way I would go too.

Front Range, Colorado
    I don't think replacing a hose is a mickey mouse repair. But if the warranty is still in effect, and they cover things like hoses, Then that is the way I would go too.
    I guess I used the wrong wording. A Mickey Mouse repair depending on material used and the mechanic doing the work. Obviously If Topeak doesn't cover it then that would be the way to go.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

well ALRIGHT Topeak

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I guess I used the wrong wording. A Mickey Mouse repair depending on material used and the mechanic doing the work. Obviously If Topeak doesn't cover it then that would be the way to go.
    So taking the offered advise and went to Topeak's page, logged in/registered and filled out a help ticket. They're sending me a hose - no questions asked.

Truth told, I've always liked my brite yeller pump. It works, it's tough, it's great looking. I was contemplating buying another if the hose proved to be resistant to resuscitation. Well now they're REALLY won my loyalty.

I'll post a follow up if/when the replacement shows up and I can get it working.

Thanks for all the imput.

Best,

-capt pearl
    ~ Aristotle

pedal pusher
    Happy ending.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Happy ending.
    Yep Topeak makes the highest quality product with the customer support to go along with it. What else could you ask for in a company?

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

Follow Up = Happy Endings

So taking the offered advise and went to Topeak's page, logged in/registered and filled out a help ticket. They're sending me a hose - no questions asked.

Truth told, I've always liked my brite yeller pump. It works, it's tough, it's great looking. I was contemplating buying another if the hose proved to be resistant to resuscitation. Well now they're REALLY won my loyalty.

I'll post a follow up if/when the replacement shows up and I can get it working.

Thanks for all the imput.

Best,

-capt pearl
    The hose arrived in days. Replacement was an unscrew/screw on deal. Now that I've seen it, you *could* probably get the hose and wing it; the hose-to-nozzle end would be easy as the nozzle has the prongs built in. The hose-to-pump end has an insert to mate up to the pump. You could probably cut out the old one and reinsert, and I'd try it if I had to, but it would definitely be awkward.

But "whatever", it's now a non-issue. Thanks Topeak - Joe's back on the job!

Best,

capt pearl
    ~ Aristotle

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the same problem right here. Not too excited about filling in a ticket. Why are the joe blow spare so hard to find on the web.