Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23

    Jamis trail x3 or KHS alite 500

    alright, so both are priced pretty much the same, around 200 dollars(KHS is 20 dollars pricier) for a 2009 used. both in fairly good condition, and lets assume both fit really well for my taste, which one would be the better choice?I'm new to mtb.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23

    KHS Alite 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
    alright, so both are priced pretty much the same, around 200 dollars(KHS is 20 dollars pricier) for a 2009 used. both in fairly good condition, and lets assume both fit really well for my taste, which one would be the better choice?I'm new to mtb.

    Thanks!

    Honestly, I was in the EXACT same predicament this year but on the 2011 X3 and 2012 KHS Alite 500 OR KHS Aguila 29'er. They are all pretty well priced and spec'd the same. I could almost guarantee the X3 is mechanical disc, 6061 Frame 24 or 27 spd if I remember right. Anyway in a nutshell I bought the 2012 KHS Aguila 29'er which is speced the same as the Alite 500 just it was a 29'er. The other thing that helped with the decision was Jamis in Canada is only purchasable through Sport Chek (Department Store) and I would recommend your bikes should be purchased through Local Bike Shops for better gear and better service.

    Jason - Hope this helped

    Jason - hope it helped

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the reply!(seems kinda hard to get one around here)

    So either one is a solid choice and really its only the name and the frame geo that differ?
    thanks again

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Ya pretty well, you may want to go more indepth then I did and do a weight comparison as I noticed Jamis to be a heavier bike. But mind you that would be model year specific. The other thing to look at is right now both costs maybe "$200" for each bike but when I was looking I could get a 2011 Jamis Trail X3 at Sport Chek for $479.00 the 2012 KHS Alite 500 Is a $700 - 800 bike from LBS. I would recommend the Alite 500 being right now it was a better bike to begin with, but again thats basing off what I know about the "new bikes" not dating to the older ones so something you might want to look into ....

    Jason

  5. #5
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    20,370
    IMO I would hold off and save just a little more. Then check out the classifieds on this site. You can pick up a slightly used originally paid $3000-$4000 bike selling for $1000-$2000. That's what I would do.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    IMO I would hold off and save just a little more. Then check out the classifieds on this site. You can pick up a slightly used originally paid $3000-$4000 bike selling for $1000-$2000. That's what I would do.
    Depends, I know my budget was based on the fact that I have 3 small kids and a wife. Therefore I would NEVER be "allowed" to buy a $1000-$2000 bike. I preferred new. Whether off CL or kijiji or even these classifieds. Therefore my mindset changed from "a good enough to do single and double track" to what was the best foundation to build off. Which is what lead me to the 2011 X3 and 2012 Alite 500, and if it wasnt from the LBS I purchased through showed me the Aguila for same price as the Alite 500 - Both Aguila and Alite 500 are a win in my opinion as they are both fully hydraulic hard tails for under $1000.00 ...... And their foundations are for racing. So as components fail (Derailleurs, brakes, etc) I can replace with better and have that same $2000.00 for in around the same money if not a little better spec but the wife sees it as an $800 bike + service and maintenance over time. But thats just IMOO ( In My Own Opinion)

    Jason

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Oh and I do agree with the waiting and saving for something better (whether new or used) you will not regret waiting, I found significant value increase from budgeting $500 - $800 the next value increase would be $1000 - $1500

  8. #8
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    20,370
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjasonc View Post
    Oh and I do agree with the waiting and saving for something better (whether new or used) you will not regret waiting, I found significant value increase from budgeting $500 - $800 the next value increase would be $1000 - $1500
    You would be surprised how many well off people think this sport is for them. They go out and buy a top of the line ride only to ride it a couple times. It then gathers dust sitting next to numerous other top shelf toys in the 4 car garage. The wife nags about too many toys so he has to make room for the next "big adventure" so he has to sell off a few before she allows him to purchace anymore. Hey he's well off and needs to move the **** out to make room for more. They basically give it away. IMO Wait save and keep an eye out for a deal like this.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    You would be surprised how many well off people think this sport is for them. They go out and buy a top of the line ride only to ride it a couple times. It then gathers dust sitting next to numerous other top shelf toys in the 4 car garage. The wife nags about too many toys so he has to make room for the next "big adventure" so he has to sell off a few before she allows him to purchace anymore. Hey he's well off and needs to move the **** out to make room for more. They basically give it away. IMO Wait save and keep an eye out for a deal like this.
    I will concur with this statement ....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    time waits for no one, ask if they have a closeout on a last years model and pop on it, if not buy one go ride and enjoy your life.

  11. #11
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    20,370
    Edit
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25
    I started last year in this sport, and my first bike was a jamis xtrail x3 2010. It was just enough to start loosing pounds and gaining fitness. it is much bettter bike than wally world bikes and does not break the bank if you dont like MTB.

    Never had a part going bad on it and I put about 1000 km to it. then due to ignorance I pulled the seat post more than max and broke the frame which was immediately fixed by welding it (aluminum weld).

    when I felt the bike was keeping me from improving skills and fitness just upgraded to 29er epic.

    I really recommend it to you , it is all you need to start !

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23
    Thank you all for your response,
    I eventually decided to go for the KHS ALITE 500, and hope I'll make a good use out of it!
    thanks again!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Congrats, Pics or it didn't happen

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    26
    In my opinion I prefer khs. The alite 500 is a nice bike for the price. About to buy a khs myself in a couple days

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23
    Cheers Blurr, Unfortunately you will have to take my work for it, atleast until I get my hands on a normal camera.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Who the hell does not have a camera on their phone now days?
    Holy cow are you getting on the internet via a dialup too?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23
    sort of, 5 megs counts as dial up no?

    I have a really lousy phone camera, probably will do bad publicity to the bike.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    I don't have a phone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •