Transplant

Is J.P Weigle framesaver discontinued?

Just wanted to see if anyone knows the status of the JP Weigle framesaver spray. I haven't been able to find any anywhere and just wondering if anyone had got word that it had been discontinued or not. It would be a total bummer if it had. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    boiled linseed oil is cheaper and widely available. a little messier to use. i apply with a medical syringe you can buy at pharmacy. need a week of sit time for linseed oil to dry. also it has a unique solvent-y odor.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Just wanted to see if anyone knows the status of the JP Weigle framesaver spray. I haven't been able to find any anywhere and just wondering if anyone had got word that it had been discontinued or not. It would be a total bummer if it had. Thanks
    Have you tried Web Cyclery or Bikeman as mentioned in this thread?

Do It Yourself
    Long Live Long Rides

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Have you tried Web Cyclery or Bikeman as mentioned in this thread?
    Sorry I should have explained my situation. I am head mechanic at my shop and all my distributors tell me they haven't gotten a shipment in months and don't really think that its still being made. I have a can (I guess I will now keep it under lock and key) but we sell a lot of nice steel frames (indy fab, bianchi, on-one, orbea) and have customers that want it. But thanks for that post as it seems Boeshield T9 will do the trick. Thanks!

Also to the linseed oil poster, thanks for the suggestion. I use that for building wheels and I know the odor you speak of. A little too messy for me to use on a $1000+ frameset. Thanks guys!

Transplant
    Thank you sir! That is what I am looking for my own frame!

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Sorry I should have explained my situation. I am head mechanic at my shop and all my distributors tell me they haven't gotten a shipment in months and don't really think that its still being made.
    I know you work in a shop and I figured you might know something we didn't. Maybe I'll buy the remaining stock at Web Cyclery and Bikeman and eBay it for $1000 a can. A 5% discount to the first ten MTBR members who PayPal me $950.

Keepin' it real since '74
    Before I built up my Kona Scab (steel frame), I bought a can of rust inhibitor (can't remember the brand name) from my local True Value hardware store. I just liberally sprayed it in every opening in the frame, let it dry for a couple of days, then assembled the bike. It has worked great for the past 2 years.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Compulsive Bike Builder

It is still available

It is still available, it can be ordered and is in stock several places for your shop, and still the best stuff out there.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Do you guys think WD40 would suffice, sprayed into the tubes? Seems as if it'd be better than nothing.

Dr Gadget is IN

How 'bout the aircraft solution?

Metals and Plastics - Tube Seal

TUBE SEAL (LINE OIL)

Quart
    P/N 03-14000 $15.80
    Prevents rust and corrosion inside aircraft tubing structures. Will climb tubing wall and spread over entire surface. Will penetrate and reveal small pin holes in a weld and in time, due to exposure, will congeal and seal the hole. Directions on label. One quart will treat two light aircraft fuselages.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/tubeseal.php
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Who are the brain police?
    WD40 is a cleaning/drying agent. That's all.

If there's anything in the tubes protecting them to begin with, WD40 will just wash it out and hasten rusting.

Using WD40 could cause more harm than doing nothing at all.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Boeshield works just as well, if not better, than Weigle. I have both.