Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

its time.. clipless pedals??

okay, its time to invest in clipless SPD pedals. which one do you guys recommend from shimano or from crank brothers??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

DFMBA.org
    My answer is in your question/title, ironically.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL.

To expand on post #2, Time ATACs. I like the Aliums and while they've been discontinued, there's a ton of stock kicking around on the 'net.

If you must do Shimano or Crank Brothers, people are saying the current model XT and XTR pedals are really good. Don't mess around with a caged model, if there is one at that level.

The main event is the shoe. The pedals just need to work. That turns out to be a pretty high bar, actually, and I think that Times are awesome for working well and not needing a lot of attention or having a lot of doo-dads to play with.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Pretty much any clipless pedal will work well. Although people will strongly recommend one over the other, and provide a whole bunch of huff behind why theirs is the ONLY AND BEST CHOICE EVER!

Take a look at the different types, and buy one that tickles your fancy. If you end up hating it, try something else.

mtbr member
    As AdnrwSwitch said, the shoes are the most important part of the equation. I prefer Shimanos just because I've been riding them for 10+ years and I've only broken one in that entire time (and used cheap Deore's too!). But just like running or hiking, if you get the wrong shoes it's going to make your time just miserable. Here's my checklist for shoes:

1. Comfortable
    2. Stiff sole, but not inflexible in case of a hike-a-bike or mechanical
    3. Ratchet buckle with straps.
    4. Good airflow

Here's what I've been using for the last year, and they're the best shoes I've used thus far: Shimano M087 - ~$90

My only complaint is that the airflow is TOO good in the winter/spring. Lots of water or cold temps mean frozen toes, so I have to use a waterproof shoe cover. No biggie, but this Chirstmas I think brown Santa is going to bring me these: Shimano MW81
    "Got everything you need?"

The Original Suspect
    ^ This!

You will get as many answers as there are pedal choices. I have friends that swear by Time and plenty that like egg beater buy I prefer Shimano only because I have been riding with one form of SPD or another for nearly 20 yrs with zero problems. That being said there are ways to try out a couple different types to find what you like. You could buy a couple choices from REI and return the pair that doesn't work for you.

mtbr member
    Oh, and for the money I don't think you can beat the PD-M520's (Deore level). I rode mine for 5-6 years before one started clicking and making noise. I have a riding buddy that has a set of XT's in the box, but has been riding these because they came on his bike and he can't seem to break them . Even if they turn out lousy, they're only $34 so no big loss.

I ran the PD-M424, which are the Deore pedals but with the plastic cage around. I really liked these pedals and got a second set for my commuter/roadie. They work with regular shoes decently well, but you can also clip in.

I now run the 2012 XT caged type pedals and like them a lot. I could take or leave the cage, although sometimes it does help when you miss a clip in. The cage is not like the previous set I mentioned, where you could use them with normal shoes. But since I don't do that on my Blur anyways it's not much of an issue.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I got these (M647) a little while back when they were on clearance sale - and they have worked well for me. I like that I can pedal without being clipped in if need be.

I picked the Northwave Mission shoes (was also on sale) because they looked like a "normal" hiking shoe instead of like a bike shoe:

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've read reports of poor bearing logevity in the Crank Bros so it's narrowed down to Shimano or Time. Shimano are cheaper for each level and of course far more common so you'll be able to swap bikes with your buddies more easily. I've had M424 (the one the be plastic platform) M520, M540, XT and XTR - all good.
    I've not tried Times but they have and excellent reputation too. If you have a knee problem then the Times are supposed to have more 'float' (you can just run the Shimanos loose of course) and Times are also supposed to be easier to clip into when very muddy.

The White Jeff W
    For a new clipless user I'd recommend Shimano M540's because they have adjustable tension. You can start out with lighter tension until you get used to unclipping then increase tension as you get more experienced. They can be found at Nashbar for around $40 bucks
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I have M536's These are old pedals, but they work great. I have bashed them on many rocks and they always work. I had another set years ago (non shimano, but SPD type) and hit a rock and busted off part of the pedal attachment. I ditched them and went with the shimano and love them. I will say however I don't ride in mud very often.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Front Range, Colorado
    TIME & TIME again this question comes up. And every TIME the majority rules in favor of TIME ATAC pedals. The only people that go with a different brand are people that haven't tried TIME. So do yourself a TIMELESS favor and choose TIME from the get go. TIME and TIME again I have heard of people switching to TIME but never have I heard of someone switching from TIME. It's about TIME I got that off my chest.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    And you can great deals on Time's at the moment. Check out Jenson and Nasbar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    TIME & TIME again this question comes up. And every TIME the majority rules in favor of TIME ATAC pedals. The only people that go with a different brand are people that haven't tried TIME. So do yourself a TIMELESS favor and choose TIME from the get go. TIME and TIME again I have heard of people switching to TIME but never have I heard of someone switching from TIME. It's about TIME I got that off my chest.
    You ok man? Where are all these riders that use time atac? I've never seen one...on the trail that is.

Front Range, Colorado
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    okay, its time to invest in clipless SPD pedals. which one do you guys recommend from shimano or from crank brothers??
    shimano

make sure there is no shoe pedal interfernce and back spring out all the way.

mtbr member
    I use Shimano M520s.

Do yourself a favor and get M cleats, though. M cleats will release left, right, or with a good tug up. It's all the benefits of being clipped in, without the worry of falling over.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Have them. Dont like them. Replaced with Shimano SPD's. I dont like being welded to my pedals.
    No moss...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can't say I've ever had trouble getting out of my Times. I've had a few different systems - some knockoff SPDs, Speedplays, Time ROC-ATACs and Time ATAC Aliums. Actually haven't tried SPDs per se - back when I was shopping for pedals, they didn't have a particularly good reputation and Time ATACs were, and are, quite cheap.

I don't know that Times are ever the majority choice on these boards, though, and I don't know that I see them a ton in the wild. I'm actually a little surprised by that. I'm living in the Pacific Northwest, and even the new, less-cloggy SPDs are still supposed to have problems here, to a much greater degree than Crank Brothers or Times. So Times seem like they ought to be pretty popular AM/Trail pedals. I think they're just not doing much to push their product. SPDs show up on new bikes a fair amount and Crank Brothers show up on a few new bikes and advertise a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Have them. Dont like them. Replaced with Shimano SPD's. I dont like being welded to my pedals.
    "Welded to your feet" not even close. I have ran these pedals for 13 years and have never had that feeling. An easy clip in and easy release whenever needed. I was turned on early on to the pre- shaved cleats that Speedboats sells. They work like butter, I used them on my old Time ATAC aluminums. And have since bought TIME ATAC XS Titanium Carbons and use those cleats. And these new ATACS have an adjustable float screw for an easy to harder release depending on your preference. I set that screw to my desired release pressure 5 years ago and haven't touched it since. These pedals are top notch bomb proof and will never let you down.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Can't say I've ever had trouble getting out of my Times. I've had a few different systems - some knockoff SPDs, Speedplays, Time ROC-ATACs and Time ATAC Aliums. Actually haven't tried SPDs per se - back when I was shopping for pedals, they didn't have a particularly good reputation and Time ATACs were, and are, quite cheap.

I don't know that Times are ever the majority choice on these boards, though, and I don't know that I see them a ton in the wild. I'm actually a little surprised by that. I'm living in the Pacific Northwest, and even the new, less-cloggy SPDs are still supposed to have problems here, to a much greater degree than Crank Brothers or Times. So Times seem like they ought to be pretty popular AM/Trail pedals. I think they're just not doing much to push their product. SPDs show up on new bikes a fair amount and Crank Brothers show up on a few new bikes and advertise a lot.

I spent many a year in Southern California and am now in Colorado and in both areas I have seen numerous people using them on the trails. Like you said they don't advertise like other top brands because their flawless reputation keeps them at the top.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-03-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    thanks for everyones advice.

i picked up a pair of shimano mo77 tonight from REI. i've decided to go shimano spd

i am considering the following:
    PD-M980
    PD-M985
    PD-A530 so i could flip between flat and clipless.

which one do you guys recommend?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's about showing up.
    Let's hear it for 757s!!! (cricket chirping here....)

Just make sure you set your pedals up right up right and that the cleat/sole clearance is adequate.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Either of the XTR's will be great, but I'd go for the non-cage 980s. Just don't go for the A530s. Those are more geared towards a commuter/city bike rather than a mountain bike.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    You ok man? Where are all these riders that use time atac? I've never seen one...on the trail that is.
    Was this question posted in jest??

I have used TIME ATAC's for years, and see lots of them here in Bend.

mtbr member
    thanks for everyones advice. i've decided to go with the shimano PD-M985 and SH56 cleats

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast