Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I should be studying...

ISM Adamo Peak Saddle

Well, my trusty old specialized BG Pro Ti saddle is just about finished and it's time to get a new saddle. I've been using the Adamo Podium and Racing saddles on my Road & Tri bikes and love them. I was thinking about trying out their mtb version, the Peak. Has anyone here tried it? There are no reviews and nor is there even a a product listed. I'm debating between this and the Specialized Phenom Sl Saddle.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you like the road saddles you will like the Peak.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about it as well. Not sure if it's available here in Korea or not. It looks different enough that it might take some adjustment getting used to. But jewelry freedom is a welcome relief, and it looks like it provides that, as well as better sitting position for the long haul.
    Let me know what other feedback you get....I'm curious as well.
    Happy Trails...

I should be studying...
    Just got it, I've done a few short rides and so far very promising! I like not have my balls flicked by my saddles nose-- if anything, this design makes even more sense for mtb than it does for road. I'm doing a 26 mile race saturday and I will report more. The only drawback is that it's not exactly light... c'mon ISM, Ti rails atleast!
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    if anything, this design makes even more sense for mtb than it does for road
    It does. The saddles are popular with tri riders who spend extended periods riding the nose. It makes great sense offroad, you need to be able to move around. The Adamo is unique in the way it supports the sit bones in EVERY position and misses the soft spots in all of them.

Even their road saddles with Ti rails are heavy. 340g is livable though.

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Peak specifically designed for mountain/trail versus road?

I just can't see paying that much for bulk and weight....and I'm wondering if one of the other Adamo's would do the trick as well....the Peloton or Breakaway seem like they might.

Tough to have to order a seat over the internet, without having set your bum in it. Don't know if it's here in Korea (yet, or even if it's planned)
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve L. Knievel
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Peak specifically designed for mountain/trail versus road?

I just can't see paying that much for bulk and weight....and I'm wondering if one of the other Adamo's would do the trick as well....the Peloton or Breakaway seem like they might.

Tough to have to order a seat over the internet, without having set your bum in it. Don't know if it's here in Korea (yet, or even if it's planned)
    Yes, the Peak is for MTB. The primary difference is the shape of the rearmost portion for when you are behind the saddle. Ignoring that, the road saddles will be just as good. I have used Pelotons and Breakaways. They are a bit lighter, but no Adamo saddle is lightweight.

You aren't paying for bulk and weight, you are paying for function. If you can find a lighter saddle that works the same way the story would be different. The extra 1/4 pound is a problem for people who race on scales but I can't think of a better place to spend extra grams. I would like them to update the Peak to the newer Peloton/Breakway design and get rid of the tri saddle hook that provides no function. I doubt they sell enough to justify a redesign to save 30-40 grams though.

Gigantic Hawk
    I've been using the saddle for about a year now. I love it. Make sure you follow the online setup video or the saddle is completely worthless. The only major drawback is the tri hook on the back of the saddle. I have caught my Dueter's waist strap on it several times when way behind the saddle descending causing some very hairy moments.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Any follow-up? Sorry that I came to the discussion late, but I am interested in those Adamo saddles too. I recently had my first real "numbness" and I have been biking for 10 years (last two of which were some tough mtbing). I know I have a lot of other variables still in the equation, but am nonetheless interested.

Anyone else use these ISM Adamo saddles?

Ryan

Just got it, I've done a few short rides and so far very promising! I like not have my balls flicked by my saddles nose-- if anything, this design makes even more sense for mtb than it does for road. I'm doing a 26 mile race saturday and I will report more. The only drawback is that it's not exactly light... c'mon ISM, Ti rails atleast!

I should be studying...
    I like it. It has a nice bit of flex to it and you have a very wide variety of postions on the saddle. Yes it is heavy, but you don't notice it when you ride. I too would like to see the hook romoved off the back as well; I wouldn't change the front of the saddle to be more like the Podium & Breakaway saddles.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Thanks for the feedback. The Adamo Peak is so new, I guess, that there is relatively little information or reviews online.

So, is there a big learning curve transitioning to that type of saddle? Anything that you can noticeably not do as well as on your old saddle?

How are the Podium and Breakaway saddles' fronts different than the Peak?

Thanks again- Ryan

I like it. It has a nice bit of flex to it and you have a very wide variety of postions on the saddle. Yes it is heavy, but you don't notice it when you ride. I too would like to see the hook romoved off the back as well; I wouldn't change the front of the saddle to be more like the Podium & Breakaway saddles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't call it a learning curve, just an adaptation period. The Adamo saddles remove the forward contact point entirely so you may get some additional soreness on the sitbones at first. They are also wider through the nose so you need to get used to that feeling. The wider nose is easier to grab with your thighs and the saddle supports your sitbones even all the way up on the nose. To me it's a big improvement provided you don't mind the extra width.

The breakway and podium noses are more sloped than the peak. The peak nose is blunt. The peak is also tapered in the rear to help get off the back. I find the peak saddle requires more setback than other saddles so that may effect your choice of post.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Well, I went ahead and ordered an Adamo Peak tonight. Hopefully, it's comfortable and keeps me happy and healthy. I like mountain biking too much to be concerned with doing permanent damage to my junk every time I ride.

I'll make sure to report back to MTBR after riding it a bit.

Ryan
    Last edited by rmi; 12-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the peak.. I kinda have pulled that one from my options just cause its wider in the front and the back part hangs out a bit more then most sadles... The two im focusing on right now are the koobi -century prs and the cobb-drt plus... Im kinda back and forth on those two-- just not sure which one..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    I will definitely do some sort of "review" for mtbr when I get to riding it!

The width doesn't seem like it will be as bad as the length in the back. I understand that "platform" in the back (which is not really for sitting) is there because of saddle regulations and for rail length. Not sure I am going to like 1-3 inches of less clearance, but am willing to try.

I looked at other saddles too, but most others seem to still have a nose/third point of contact. I really AM interested in the idea of a "noseless" saddle and the Adamo seems to be the best for mountain biking. My wife and I want a kid soon and I got to thinking about my sexual health.....All of the internet hoopla got me kind of scared of saddles and biking too much (which is irrational, I know). I want to continue riding into old age and figured now is a better time than ever to try something radical. I figure I can always use it on my fitness/city hardtail if it sucks on the trail.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by slideways666
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the peak.. I kinda have pulled that one from my options just cause its wider in the front and the back part hangs out a bit more then most sadles... The two im focusing on right now are the koobi -century prs and the cobb-drt plus... Im kinda back and forth on those two-- just not sure which one..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    rmi, I really don't think the extra length in the back will bother you. I don't notice it. Regardless, you'll see one way or another.

I hope it works out for you. I love mine. With the recent comments on the Cobb MTB saddles which I was unaware of, I decided to buy one to try. I'd say it's as good a conventional saddle as I've ever tried but it can't replace an Adamo for me. I'm just too accustomed to the extra width and shape now. I'd never discourage anyone from a Cobb but I wish the Adamo's would get more press.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    What kind of bikes do you ride your saddle(s) on? How long have you had it/them? (the Adamo I mean)

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by craigsj
    rmi, I really don't think the extra length in the back will bother you. I don't notice it. Regardless, you'll see one way or another.

I hope it works out for you. I love mine. With the recent comments on the Cobb MTB saddles which I was unaware of, I decided to buy one to try. I'd say it's as good a conventional saddle as I've ever tried but it can't replace an Adamo for me. I'm just too accustomed to the extra width and shape now. I'd never discourage anyone from a Cobb but I wish the Adamo's would get more press.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have been riding Adamo saddles for about a year. I've used a Peak on all my MTBs which includes a HT, a JET, a RIP, and now a Tallboy. I have converted two local friends to Adamo, both of them riding Adamo roads. I have also converted a friend to a Cobb since he didn't like the Adamo width.

I also use breakaways on road bikes and have tried the podium. They are quite similar.

mtbr member
    Well--- i ordered up the cobb seat today... I figure ill try the cobb and if it doesnt work-- ill just return it.. They have a SIX MONTH no questions asked return policy.. I might even order up the koobi too and just send the one back i dont like..

ok a side note-- have to give props where props are due;
    wow-- does cobb saddles have their act together.. I ordered the seat up at 11:30ish my time.. In less then a hour i have a order conformation email , a order shipped email and a 3rd email with a official fedex shipment conformation... In a world of businesses and people doing the bare minimum they can do to get the sale-- here is a company that so far really worked hard to create a great experience-- rare thing these days..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    I've had mine for about 7 months now...and it's great! You'll likely experience soreness in the beginning, since it supports a different area then regular saddles, but it goes away quickly. Not much of a weight weenie, so the grams weren't a big deal.

The Peak is a bit rounded cause of how we keep adjusting position. It looked lame at first, 'til someone said it looked like a stingray. Became cool looking after that
    Steel is real...Ti is fly...carbon fiber is good for constipation.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Rainy and coldish here in northern GA, but I put in a 2 hour road/grass/concrete jungle/trail ride today. I adjusted the saddle about 20 times!

I am surprised at how the extra width and weird shape really don't effect me moving around the saddle.

Seems very comfortable so far. I have a little soreness, but felt good riding. Time well tell if this saddle is a winner, but I think I really like it.

I have mine pushed almost all the way to the rear (almost running out of rail). Anyone else have to run theirs so far back?

Ryan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    I have mine pushed almost all the way to the rear (almost running out of rail). Anyone else have to run theirs so far back?
    Yes, I don't normally use a setback post but always do with the Peak. Otherwise not much rail left.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Is that not the case with ISM's other Adamo saddles?

If I end up liking this Peak, I may buy another Adamo for my hardtail (which sees mostly road and really light trail use). Are any of their other saddles suitable for a bike like this in your opinion?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by craigsj
    Yes, I don't normally use a setback post but always do with the Peak. Otherwise not much rail left.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    Is that not the case with ISM's other Adamo saddles?

If I end up liking this Peak, I may buy another Adamo for my hardtail (which sees mostly road and really light trail use). Are any of their other saddles suitable for a bike like this in your opinion?

Ryan
    The Podium and Breakaway are newer designs that have an extended nose that is more rounded. It looks as though they need different setback but I think that's an illusion caused by the nose extension. The other models in the line are similar to the Peak and look a little odd because of the bobbed nose and a tail that extends further back than where you sit. ISM did this originally due to their need to meet Tri rules. That's also why all their older designs have a Tri hook, even the MTB one.

I think the setback requirements are similar for all, but in my case my road bikes do not have setback posts and it's not an issue. My road bikes have straight seat tubes and 73d angles whereas my MTBs are 29ers with steeper angles and bent forward seat tubes. Those things play a role. I think the need for setback with the Adamo saddles stems from Tri riders needing to ride forward and the rest of us not so much.

I llke the Breakaway for road (Podium is the same with less padding) and have one installed on a hardtail I've been loaning to another rider. He seems to like it fine. I see no reason to avoid their road line for light trail use, the main difference being the sloped rear which helps when going off the back. Seems unlikely you would need that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just put a white Adamo peak on my Ironhorse MK3 this evening. Only did a few round the block laps to adjust the seating position.

Initial thoughts: It's harder than the WTB race V it replaced. The rails are closer together in the back part of the saddle than a traditional one, which precluded me from putting my clip in bag beneath the rear of the saddle which irked me more than a little. I had to put a much smaller bag under the seat. This thing is pretty hard. I imagine that will decrease with increased use. So far the most comfortable orientation I've found is almost all the way back in the post clamp with the nose pitched ever so slightly downward. Found it too hard with the rails completely level as recommended. Definitely promising. Hope to get a ride in tomorrow. Although, here in SoCal, it'll be a muddy one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast