mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Industrial sabotage? Or something else?

In 25 years I have never seem this. I had customer bring in a bike complaining of a crunchy, metal grinding sound coming from the bottom bracket.

Common complain, first thought, dry cups. It was an out board bearing bottom bracket so easy peasy, pop that bad boy off and sure enough the cups where dry. Problem solved. Or so I thought.

I went to remove the inner dust cover, a hard plastic piece, but it seemed wedged in there.. When I finally got it loose this is what came out of the bottom bracket area.

Industrial sabotage? Or something else?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405126858.306967.jpg

For scale

Industrial sabotage? Or something else?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405126883.515261.jpg

This stuff was coming out of the vent hole of the seat tube. It was just pouring out of there.
    I removed the seat post and used compressed air and cleared out the rest of the seat tube. Verified it was clean , reassembled the bb and problem solved.

So here is the question. I've never seen anything like this in 25 years of wrenching. The frame is from Taiwan, it's a well know bike maker (who doesn't need to be named) .

The seat tube is pierced by one area for the full suspension. Do you think this is milling that was never cleaned out? Or a disgruntled worker who dumped a handful down the seat tube?

Weird .

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksdazxvy

mtbr member
    QC problems still happen.
    If your cleanup job fixed the issue for your customer, I wouldn't give it too much thought.
    I would contact the vendor/manufacturer and provide them with the serial number so they can identify the production run.
    This would help them look in to the QC for that production and document it in case they see similar problems.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    QC problems still happen.
    If your cleanup job fixed the issue for your customer, I wouldn't give it too much thought.
    I would contact the vendor/manufacturer and provide them with the serial number so they can identify the production run.
    This would help them look in to the QC for that production and document it in case they see similar problems.
    This makes sense.

Those look like threadings or millings. Is it steel or Al? Maybe they blew a weld through the seat tube and just hogged the booger out rather than scrap the frame.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    it's pretty obvious what it is...someone needs to begin an email saved dialog...in my opinion
    2014 Nail Trail 29er