Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 301 to 324 of 324
  1. #301
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    I'm just fine with WAs as they presently exist.
    I use public lands extensively for a variety of purposes and pursuits. The accessibility of public land was the primary reason I moved to Durango and the Weminuche (one of the CO Trail re routes) in particular is very special to me. If it's opened up to bikes, so be it and I'll be one of the firsts in their on a bike, but I'm not interested in pursuing it nor am I interested in aligning myself with the Mtn Bike community on this subject matter.
    Got it. You have drank the wildernut koolaid. That explains your irrational criticism.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  2. #302
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    I'm just fine with WAs as they presently exist.
    I use public lands extensively for a variety of purposes and pursuits. The accessibility of public land was the primary reason I moved to Durango and the Weminuche (one of the CO Trail re routes) in particular is very special to me. If it's opened up to bikes, so be it and I'll be one of the firsts in their on a bike, but I'm not interested in pursuing it nor am I interested in aligning myself with the Mtn Bike community on this subject matter.
    If I had a logic professor, I bet he or she would approve of this.

  3. #303
    _CJ
    _CJ is offline
    membership renounced
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,066
    Interesting article from the Colo Sprgs Gazette.

    Should mountain bikers be allowed on Wilderness land? | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

    Remember when I said this was all about politics? This statement by Athan Manuel, director of Lands Protection Program for the Sierra Club is all we need to know..."You don't ask what the bill does, you ask about who the sponsors are".


    .

  4. #304
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Interesting article from the Colo Sprgs Gazette.

    Should mountain bikers be allowed on Wilderness land? | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

    Remember when I said this was all about politics? This statement by Athan Manuel, director of Lands Protection Program for the Sierra Club is all we need to know..."You don't ask what the bill does, you ask about who the sponsors are".


    .
    Sierra Club is afraid of discussing the bill merit and would rather do some fear mongering.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    372
    Interesting quote from the article.

    Opposing Sustainable Trail Coalition's initiative is a major player in the mountain biking community: the International Mountain Bicycling Association. Founded in 1988, IMBA has more than 40,000 members worldwide, advocates for mountain bicyclist rights and access across the country, and testified against the amendment before the House committee.
    ,

    Isn't IMBA trying to spin this that they did not oppose the Bill, only that they did not support it. If so, why does everyone but IMBA take their actions as opposition to the bill?

  6. #306
    _CJ
    _CJ is offline
    membership renounced
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by indytrekracer View Post
    Interesting quote from the article.

    ,

    Isn't IMBA trying to spin this that they did not oppose the Bill, only that they did not support it. If so, why does everyone but IMBA take their actions as opposition to the bill?
    As a last minute surprise, IMBA submitted written testimony to the sub-committee hearings opposing the bill. This was a complete 180 to their previous statements saying they would "neither support nor oppose". THAT is why everyone is so pissed off at IMBA, and why their claimed membership of 40,000 is a fantasy. Most people paying attention have cancelled their memberships, and if IMBA doesn't make some serious changes in the structure and stance of the organization, it's likely they will become nothing more than an industry trade group, which it could be fairly argued they already are.


    .

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    As a last minute surprise, IMBA submitted written testimony to the sub-committee hearings opposing the bill. This was a complete 180 to their previous statements saying they would "neither support nor oppose". THAT is why everyone is so pissed off at IMBA, and why their claimed membership of 40,000 is a fantasy. Most people paying attention have cancelled their memberships, and if IMBA doesn't make some serious changes in the structure and stance of the organization, it's likely they will become nothing more than an industry trade group, which it could be fairly argued they already are.


    .
    If they don't change their tune they will lose all relevance.

  8. #308
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    As a last minute surprise, IMBA submitted written testimony to the sub-committee hearings opposing the bill. This was a complete 180 to their previous statements saying they would "neither support nor oppose". THAT is why everyone is so pissed off at IMBA, and why their claimed membership of 40,000 is a fantasy. Most people paying attention have cancelled their memberships, and if IMBA doesn't make some serious changes in the structure and stance of the organization, it's likely they will become nothing more than an industry trade group, which it could be fairly argued they already are.


    .
    At this point, they're the industry mouthpiece, with a hint of wildernuttiness being that they've befriended the Wilderness Society and all.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    At this point, they're the industry mouthpiece, with a hint of wildernuttiness being that they've befriended the Wilderness Society and all.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    A hint of wildernuttiness? Seems like that should be at starbucks? Pine tree and almond latte that leaves a really bitter aftertaste

  10. #310
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    961
    "I'd like a fra-GEE-lay almond-milk vegan non-binary latte with pine tree bark shavings and a shot of wildernutiness."
    "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"
    Fox Mulder, The X-Files

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    If I had a logic professor, I bet he or she would approve of this.
    I believe that you are conflating someone's opinion for logic.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    "I'd like a fra-GEE-lay almond-milk vegan non-binary latte with pine tree bark shavings and a shot of wildernutiness."
    You may want to patent that before Starbucks does.

  13. #313
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I believe that you are conflating someone's opinion for logic.
    Too bad more people can't figure out when that's happening.

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Too bad more people can't figure out when that's happening.
    I see this subject as something more based upon personal values than an analysis of hard data and facts. Which is fine, but it needs to be recognized as such.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  15. #315
    _CJ
    _CJ is offline
    membership renounced
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,066
    Have you ordered your new STC shirt yet? Not much time left on this design. Guaranteed to spark up conversation with your local "haters" at the brew pub.

    https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...lyndon_johnson



    .

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Have you ordered your new STC shirt yet? Not much time left on this design. Guaranteed to spark up conversation with your local "haters" at the brew pub.

    https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...lyndon_johnson



    .
    I'd love to wear one of those to a Sierra Club chapter meeting.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Have you ordered your new STC shirt yet? Not much time left on this design. Guaranteed to spark up conversation with your local "haters" at the brew pub.

    https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...lyndon_johnson



    .
    Thanks for the heads-up, I ordered a long-sleeve.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    828
    I just bought the T shirt but did not make an additional donation.

    I plan to donate when my IMBA renewal is due. How much have I been giving IMBA? Don't remember - $35 for renewal with socks (gonna have an IMBA socks bonfire soon) + whatever I paid for the annual calendar.

    I promise to redirect my donations to STC.

  19. #319
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,025
    I just got my STC long sleeve T today. Very nice!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  20. #320
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I just got my STC long sleeve T today. Very nice!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



    Got mine yesterday, quality goods for a great cause.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  21. #321
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,461
    Liz Bergeron, CEO of the PCTA, is using IMBA's stance on H.R 1349 to argue against mountain bike access to wilderness sections of the PCT.
    McClintocks Trojan horse mountain bike bill redefines wilderness
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Liz Bergeron, CEO of the PCTA, is using IMBA's stance on H.R 1349 to argue against mountain bike access to wilderness sections of the PCT.
    McClintocks Trojan horse mountain bike bill redefines wilderness
    No mountain biker should be rejoining the IMBA at this point. Disgusting.

  23. #323
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    No mountain biker should be rejoining the IMBA at this point. Disgusting.
    Yes indeed. STC got my dollars this year.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    No mountain biker should be rejoining the IMBA at this point. Disgusting.
    I just renewed, reluctantly, and told IMBA why I was reluctant. I let them know that the only reason I renewed was to support my local chapter. I also told them that the extra money I have given in the past would got to STC instead, and if they didn't start listening to their members, I would not be renewing a year from now.

    I got no response, of course. I have a feeling I won't re-up next year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. IMBA Comes Out Against STC's Bill: Step down Mike Van Abel
    By feral in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 08-31-2016, 06:41 AM
  2. what happens when you pay people unequal for the same job?
    By deke505 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 06:31 AM
  3. Stuff you can't believe people pay so much money for
    By rockcrusher in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 04:01 PM
  4. Pay now, pay later?
    By Glynn Sluder in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 08:02 AM
  5. IMBA trail building videos and IMBA Trail Crew visit to SF
    By cabra cadabra in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.