Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

im curious how big yours is..............

just measured my handlebars on my Cannondale SL4, and they are a whopping 690mm. i like it sometimes, but when im tearing around they feel very stable, just far too wide. i usually ride trails and nature walks etc, anyways im thinking of cutting them down but dont wanna take too much off so was looking at possibbly 30mm each side and see how that feels.
    how wide are your bars ?

29ers Forever
    690mm for my Cobia, 580mm for the F9 (total mistake, as I have a longer stem on the F9 that came form the Cobia). I rode a Rumblefish that had 710mm wide bars, so 690 did not feel wide for me after that.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

The Original Suspect
    I have 710mm Easton Haven bars on my single speed with Ergon GP-2 grips with bar ends and love them!

mtbr member
    675 mm inside the bar ends on my Salsa. I'm used to close to 800 mm width bars on both the dirt bikes, so 675 on the mtn bike feels just right.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    685mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    685mm on my commuter, 700mm on my trail bike, 735mm on my fun bike. I was late in adopting wider bars since my old ones refused to die, but once I did I really liked them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    800 on both my FS and hardtail. Thought I would cut them down, but I like them right where they are. I ride desert singletrack and slickrock so getting in between trees is not a problem I encounter.

A God Without A Name
    ^yep. I ride 760 Specialized alloy flat bars. I find the span perfect. nothing wrong with a wide bar, especially if it fits your wide shoulders.

Problem is no one really makes 50cm drop bars.

mtbr member
    wow, im honestly shocked, i thought mine were big.

mtbr member

Re: im curious how big yours is..............

725 rf atlas am currently but I want to try some 780s just to see.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    610 mm (24") on all my bikes (and those are wide compared to some guys I race with). The big bars are ridiculous, in my opinion, because it makes the handling sluggish and makes it far for difficult to get leverage on the bars when climbing... not to mention the danger they cause when threading trees on tight single track. I can't even count the number of times guys I ride with crash because they catch their big bars on trees. They eventually wise up and cut their bars down.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

A God Without A Name
    My shoulders are 47cm C-C. I'm running a 100mm stem on the 760mm bar If you look at my on bike fit, It's actually near perfect fit. Which is pretty far from ridiculous. I'd like it if I could comfortably ride narrower bars, but the cockpit geometry would be terrible and unsafe if I tried. the last bars I rode were 620, and 660 before that.

Different strokes for different folks, Is what I'm saying.

Interplanetary Poultry
    700mm with 25mm rise. Had slightly narrower bars but I was hanging my hands off the sides and it was not exactly comfortable.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

beater
    780mm fits me perfectly.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    750mm on my 5.Spot. My Mojo HDR will come with a 740mm when it gets here, and a 680mm on my F29. The 680 feels too narrow now and I feel I could go wider than 750 so I think I might try a 780 on the HDR and put the 740 on the F29. That's with a 50mm stem on the 5.Spot and the HDR, and a 90mm on the F29, which is the shortest you can put on a Lefty apparently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    780's on the Freeride/AM Bike, and 680's on the dirt jumper.

mtbr member
    Rather then cutting yours to see how they feel, just move your controls/grips in, and try a ride or two with them in the "narrow" position.

You wont get the extra clearance, but at least you can see if you can live with the handling. If you hate it you dont need to purchase new bars.

Professional Crastinator
    I have anywhere from 660mm to 710mm. I have caught the 710's on a few trees and almost busted a knuckle, but for the other 99.999% of the time they are perfect.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    610 mm (24") on all my bikes (and those are wide compared to some guys I race with). The big bars are ridiculous, in my opinion, because it makes the handling sluggish and makes it far for difficult to get leverage on the bars when climbing... not to mention the danger they cause when threading trees on tight single track. I can't even count the number of times guys I ride with crash because they catch their big bars on trees. They eventually wise up and cut their bars down.

Come on out of the 90's man its awesome over here.
    755mm and I ride to the top.

mtbr member
    740 on my 5" FS and wouldn't go back! way better control and breathing for me.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Rather then cutting yours to see how they feel, just move your controls/grips in, and try a ride or two with them in the "narrow" position.

You wont get the extra clearance, but at least you can see if you can live with the handling. If you hate it you dont need to purchase new bars.
    This ^^^ highly reccomended, don't go by what others are telling you feels better for them. The width of the bars are part of the personal fit of a bike. Once you cut them you can't go back.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    +1 I've actually developed a phobia of riding due to my wide bars clipping trees.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee View Post
    +1 I've actually developed a phobia of riding due to my wide bars clipping trees.
    Learn to weave the bike through the trees and it won't be an issue. I grew up racing hare scrambles (think XC/trail on motorcycles). When we cut our trails we had a "shoulder width" rule of thumb. Basically, the trail just needed to be wide enough to get your shoulders through, it was up to the riders to figure out how to get their bikes through at speed. I can assure you it's harder to get a motorcycle through than a MTB.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    710 for me, 725 for my wife

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    wow, im honestly shocked, i thought mine were big.
    Nope, and girth has increased as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast