mtbr member

I'm confused - bar terminology

If a manufacturer lists the spec's for a riser bar like this:

Bend: 6
    Rise: 35mm
    Sweep: 9

What exactly does this mean? Is the "sweep" how far the bar bends back, and "bend" how far the bar bends up, or is it the other way around?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Warrior's Society
    I always understood bend as the amount the bar is bent straight back from the center of the clamp, and sweep as the amount the bar is bent upward/back .

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I always understood bend as the amount the bar is bent straight back from the center of the clamp, and sweep as the amount the bar is bent upward/back .

mtnbikej
    I didn't like your answer so I decided to call said manufacturer. From what they tell me, you've got it backwards. They said sweep was the amount bent back and bend was the amount bent up. So, in the example I posted, the bar is bent back 9 and is bent up 6.

OK, so I could have called them in the first place, but I'm lazy...
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    OK, so now I'm even more confused. I was looking at another manufacturer's website, and they used the terms "bend" and "upsweep", which to me would mean that sweep does mean the up bend.