43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 60.47%
  • No

17 39.53%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

If you ride at night, do you carry a...

If you ride at night, do you carry a backup light of some type? For example, a flashlight, in case your main light dies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As I will be commuting soon, my plan is my cheap low lumens light on my bars flashing at all times then a (? Undecided ? ) helmet mounted light. If the helmet mounted dies I will have something. For trails, I may plan a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I used to always use a bar and helmet light combo totlaled about 550 lumens (300 on head 250 on bar). So I would by defaulat always had 2.

Just recently picked up a 1300 Lumen cygolite running on the helment, it is supposed to last 3:30 hours at 1300 lumens and 5 at 900 lumens, and is plenty bright eithier way, if I am riding in a group that is likely all I will take. If I am riding solo will take a small bar mounted light that would get me out of the woods, just in case of a crash or other issue with the light.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

AZ
    banned
    A light on the bars and one on the helmet.

mtbr member
    I use one on the helmet and one on the bars. Both are a little older and I dont ride terribly often at night so i'm not fully confident in knowing how long the batteries will last.

Last week I stupidly went out without fully charging them. The headlight died and when I looked down at my handlebar light i noticed it was flashing. I turned it down to a lower setting and booked it towards the car.

From now on I know i will always fully charge before I go and I'm thinking about throwing a camping headlamp in my bag.

mtbr member
    Also one on the bar and one on the helmet. I always ride with my wife who has the same setup. 4 lights between the two of us.

official eMpTyBRain
    I like two lights on my bars. I've been blinded one too many times by guys with helmet lights who look directly at me and I don't want to return the favor. I ALWAYS have a flashlight in my pack with me riding day OR night.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Fat & Single
    Ok so im the only NO so far.... i plan a ride and know what "power to put the light on", im not going for a 2h burn on a 3h ride.

Got a 2h on my helmet and a 4h on the bike.

No spare.... but sometimes i get a bit dim.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

I build my own.
    Like Hawg. Although I don't often ride at night, I always have a small Mag-light in my pack no matter where I go. There are certain things I have with me at all times. Knife, light, fire, string and duct tape.

Jeez, it sounds like I also black out the windows of my van.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    I have 3 lights.
    Bar mount wide angle, Helmet mount spot and mini-light in my pack. Plus I have been only riding pre-dawn so if my lights die... I wait for the sun to come up.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Warrior's Society
    If I am riding with others, I don't worry too much about a backup light. I have no problem riding behind someone with a light if mine goes out.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    One light - no backup. plan accordingly. worst that happens is it gets dark and I need to walk or wait a bit for the eyes to adjust to (hopefully) moonlight. Not much in the way of tees in San Diego, so if it's a bright night, it's still pretty bright on the trail.

I've gone running at night before, both on trail (unintentionally) and on road (intentionally - remote location, no cars, good road), to no ill-effect.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yes. I carry a small Petzl camping head lamp just in case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Also one on the bar and one on the helmet. Not worried both would go out.

mtbr member
    I guess I'll answer my own post...
    When I first bought my now 10 year old, old school HID light I used it off and on for a few years, then went a long time without using it at all. This fall I've begun riding once a week, during the week... just to get in that 2nd day per week (in addition to the weekend). I do about an hour and a half ride on my weekday ride. An out-and-back. So I'm about 7-8 miles into the woods, total darkness, no moon... wouldn't help anyway with the dense canopy... and it dawns on me that I have no backup light!!
    Sooooo, I started carrying a small flashlight, and some electrical tape, to tape it to the handlebars :-)

I'm surprised how many people here have a light on the bars and helmet. I see that where I ride, but it's a fairly low percentage.

Trailhead Poseur
    Like others, one on the handlebars and one on the helmet, and they back each other up. Not concerned so much with running out of batteries - my after work rides are typically less than 1 1/2 hours - but more with technical failures. Crash damage, broken connections, things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I'm surprised how many people here have a light on the bars and helmet. I see that where I ride, but it's a fairly low percentage.
    I can't speak for others, but for me it's because they serve slightly different purposes. The floodlight on the bars does a good job of lighting up the whole width of the trail, but my home trail is mainly tight, twisty singletrack through a dense forest, so the bars aren't always pointing where I want light. The helmet spotlight lets me direct a beam of light right where I need it.

(FWIW, I voted no. While the two lights back each other up, that's not the primary reason for two and I don't carry a dedicated spare.)
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member

If you ride at night, do you carry a...

I'm mainly a commuter and daily rider, with trails few and far between. I have a high intensity bar light, and carry several, either as backups or because I'm going to work. I EDC a SureFire Stratum, and keep an Ozark Trail 150 LM and a cheap headlamp in the rack pack. I also carry several cheap red blinkies in my pack just in case my thunderbolt goes out (because I can't remember to charge the thing), or I'm in some heavy traffic and want to add more lighting.

Professional Crastinator
    I've ridden behind someone when my light went out or broke.
    I've cut short and ridden back "in the dim".
    I've over-ridden my run time and ridden back with a small spare light.
    I've gone out with unknown run time remaining and forgot to check my spare light - they go out invariably when you are at the farthest point of a completely leaf-obscured trail that was hard enough to find in the daytime. I could actually hear all the animals making fun me blundering around: "Ha ha! Stupid blind weak human!"

So yeah, I carry an extra light - but it only does me any good if I carry some batteries, too.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I do carry a backup light in my pack. I've been on rides where lights did randomly go out for other riders.

I use a 1500 lumen Serfas light on the MTB. I carry the 500 lumen one that I use on my road bike as the backup.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Two. I ride with a DIY 1500 Lumen bar light that has both wide angle and spot built into the same head. Back up light is in the backpack. I also carry a spare battery, I never use a helmet light. It washes out the trail features too much for me.

I strongly recommend a back up light for trail riding at night. It is probably no fun walking back to the car in the dark.

the half breed devil
    one on the bars, one on the helmet and a flashlight in my pack.

mtbr member
    I have two on the bars and one on the helmet. Hard to believe they would all go out on one ride.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I carry a handlebar light and backup cheap one on my commuter. I commute at night often. I carry a helmet light with backup handlebar mount and a cheap light with my mountain bike (though I don't ride that one at night)

Bars and helmet. No back up, if both go out in one ride ill buy lottery tickets and win.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Bars and helmet with a just in case flashlight in my camelbak. I have actually found uses for it when out riding with a pack. One time we had a taco'd rim that would have ended in a bunch of miles hiking out. As we had our headlamps ready to illuminate I decided to give them a break and bust out the old flashlight for the 1/2 hour repair session. If we used the headlamps we would have been draining them and could have faced issues.

Is it necessary, no but having a 150 hour run time flashlight in the pack gives some security if needed.

I once went for a quick night hike with friends and it turned out to be a night lost in the Sierras with each flashlight quickly dying until we only had one functioning one for the pack. If I had planned properly a back up light would have made that journey more bearable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast