mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I might be the only one with a Jamis in Iraq!

So I talked to the local national who can get you stuff, and he (somehow) brought on base a Jamis Durango. I think it's a 2009 model, but I'm not sure. You don't understand, the only bikes around here are the shoddy ones at the PX. This one has disc brakes, SUSPENSION (front, so it's a hard tail) and a ton of other nice things. I'm at a base that's got a 9 mile perimeter (circumference) so there are places to bike! Now, he says the bike was $8,000 or some crazy amount, but he's asking $600 and we'll "negotiate". There are very few things out here that would make me happy, and this bike is one of them! What do you think is a fair price? He says it's a 2011 but it looks like a 2009 based on the attached picture from someone else on this board. I also think it's a girl's bike because it's got the slant to the bar. I don't care, and I am a girl so that works, but was hoping that might give you more details for a fair price, etc.

AS A DISCLAIMER, I did not take the picture, that is from someone else on the board but I'm pretty sure it's the same bike.

What do you guys think??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    $8000 for a Jamis hardtail, I find that impossibly hard to believe. Probably around 1500-2500 when new.
    If it makes you happy then that's all that matters, definiitely negotiate though. Seem's like the seller isn't being forth coming, its not a 8 grand bike and its doesn't seem to be a 2011 either.
    It also depends what condition it's in, it's hard to give an estimate without nothing to go on.
    As for girls bike, that's not the case. A slant in the bar has nothing to do with unisex, rather the discipline of biking, eg, dual slalom, slopestyle.
    I'm guessing he isn't the original owner.
    If it's really hard to come by decent bikes, try and talk him down to $400.

No Stranger to danger....
    I just did some research for you, and that seems to be a 2009 jamis Durango, it has a retail of only $795 US dollars, so the guy actually wants you to pay nearly as much as retail and the bike is 3 years old.
    The 2009 model has the omiga fork on it and the only one that came out in the pearl white.

Secondly if you google 'jamis derango pics' you will see that exact same picture in google images plus another one down the page a bit from the same camera in the same spot, both of them link back to this site, i tried to trace them to a member here but i had no luck, somebody else might have better luck.
    Unless the seller is a member on here your seller has stolen that picture and told you it was the bike he is selling you, somethings very fishy here.
    Not only has he told you a very far fetched lie that the bike was worth 8k when its only worth $795 US 3 years ago, but it seems he has taken that picture off google images.

The bike is not a womens bike, its a 12 or 14'inch small model, so in that size its a unisex bike and would be fine for a women.
    I wouldnt pay over 300 for it but seeings your away from home and desperate you have to weigh up how much extra your going to pay, it might be worth a bit more because its the only bike over there, but i wouldnt go over 500 max for it.
    The bike looks like its in perfect condition if thats really the picture of it, so seeings your away and desperate, it looks like it would be a fun ride to have if you can get it for under 500, preferably 300-450 that would be fair i suppose, you will have some fun on that and it should suit your needs, its not a bad bike for that price range, you will enjoy it even more so because its the only one over there

So tell the guy he is a joker, the bikes not worth 8k its worth $795 new 3 years ago and you wont be taken for a fool, and do some more research before you buy it so you have a few facts up your sleeve before you negotiate.

If you look up ''bikepedia' it will show you the 2009 model and show you the $795 RRP, note the bike in the pick in that page is silver and a larger size, but if you scroll down you will see the colour of your bike written there, its the 2009 model and it has all the components on the bike in your picture.
    The Durango models look like they go up in price by about $100 every year with each new model.

Cheers n stay safe over there n thanks for the great work your doing....
    Last edited by Tone's; 10-23-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Parking Lot Poser
    If the bike is close to the right size, and in good mechanical condition then go for it!!! However I agree w/ tone's that $500.00 or less would be a more reasonable price tag.
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tone's, she said the bike isn't pictured, she borrowed a picture she found off this site that looks like it.

Considering how hard it would be to actually get a bike over there, and I'm sure the PX offerings there are no better, probably worse than most, I would go for it. Just make sure to do a complete and thorough check of everything to make sure nothing is broken, bent, damaged. Also try and talk him down to 300 range, like Tones said.

Although first off though I would verify if he meant 600 US or 600 Dinar (I think their money is called that) if he was talking dinar then 8,000 probably was the retail price and 600 dinar would be a steal I'm thinking.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Tone's, she said the bike isn't pictured, she borrowed a picture she found off this site that looks like it.

Considering how hard it would be to actually get a bike over there, and I'm sure the PX offerings there are no better, probably worse than most, I would go for it. Just make sure to do a complete and thorough check of everything to make sure nothing is broken, bent, damaged. Also try and talk him down to 300 range, like Tones said.

Although first off though I would verify if he meant 600 US or 600 Dinar (I think their money is called that) if he was talking dinar then 8,000 probably was the retail price and 600 dinar would be a steal I'm thinking.
    Midnightlost, your right about what she said about the picture, my mistake, thats what speed reading does for you, cheers mate that explains a lot then lol, OP disregard everything i said about the picture lol, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I will post a picture once I get it. You will know it's Iraq lol

I just checked on it today but he's tweaking it a bit here and there. I'll ride it around and whatnot and see. I don't have too much of a bargaining angle though, because it's pretty much a rarity out here. Although to be fair, he said that if I go home or got transferred to a different base, he would buy it back. So it's basically like I'm renting it.
    I'm currently looking online at these, in order of importantce: good quality headlight since there are pitfalls everywhere here, bike odometer, and... FENDERS! I ride dirt bikes back home, and I just want a dirt bike looking bicycle lol. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend $299 on a headlight, by the way. I was thinking of around 50 bones!

Cheers and thanks so much for all of the advice so far! I'll let you guys know what I end up shelling out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    LOL! You are deployed in Iraq right? If I remember right some things while I was there are much pricier than back in the states. 600 sound good to me... Put your hazard pay to good use and buy it. But then again, I'm sure you can talk him down to 350USD. Iraqi’s do love to barter (at least all the ones that I met).
    "Are you a girl? Keep that huge ass and deal with it. Are you a guy? Ride your bike more. You disgust me."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Front fender:
    THE Pro DH Front Fender | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Rear Fender:
    THE Sportline Rear Fender | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Quite possibly the coolest looking fenders evaaaaaar. Will there be fitment issues? I had read some reviews and it seemed questionable.

Anyway, yeah yeah yeah, about hazard pay. It's only 35%!!!!

'Tis but a scratch
    ^ These rear fenders appear to clamp around the seatpost. The only real issue I would see is if you have your seat post so low that you don't have enough exposed to clamp too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If he's willing to buy it back off of you make sure its at same cost he sold it to you at

If not talk him down to 200 then lol

mtbr member
    Honestly,

I'd rib him a little on the price (as that's the name of the game ), but I'd be willing to pay $600 for it over there.

Have fun with your new ride!