mtbr member

I love my magna. hear me out.

Let me begin by saying that ive ridden top of the line bikes, and they are a dream and i love them. But i dont have money for that and I have a moderate hardtail.

Ive been thinking about this lately and heres what I wanted to say.
    I love good bikes, and they perform better in every way, hands down. But i still love my magna. I started mountain biking a few years ago on a rigid 97 aqua magna with thumb shifters, v brakes and classic 3x6 trans that i got out of the trash. I hardly ever ride it anymore, because its heavy and doesnt brake well, but i still like it better than my nice hardtail and heres why....

It just has so much personality. Its built like a tank, got it out of the trash and have never replaced anything on it. I have only needed to adjust the derailluer cables once, and it still not only shifts easily, but it shifts pretty quick. Ive taken that thing through inches of mud, rain, snow, sand and everything. Ive left it out in the rain for years and its still running and shifting like a dream. Ive physically thrown it countless times, and nothing ever brakes. Its been used and abused to the fullest extent of the word but it keeps on going. Ive ridden that thing on all of the same stufff that i take my hardtail on and its just as fun (besides the braking).

Heres the bottom line. Its like driving a cadillac vs. an old beater. The cadillac is great, but its too plush, smooth, sterile, and de-tatched. You just feel more connected to the beater cuz it has more personality.
    The old magna will take you for a less comfortable ride, but it holds up like a sherman tank and at the end of the day, has more personality.

Granted, the new magnas suck period. But this one is old and its awesome. Anyone have any idea what im talking about, or do i just look like a moron?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    joshman,

Why would you throw your bike countless times and why would you leave it out in the rain for years?

That in itself kind of answers your last question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This needs to be a Magna/beater pic thread.

Bro Mountainbiker
    What's the big deal? I throw my bike like 2ce every ride! And i leave it out in the rain most of the time.

Oh wait, no I don't.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108
    Let me begin by saying that ive ridden top of the line bikes, and they are a dream and i love them. But i dont have money for that and I have a moderate hardtail.

Ive been thinking about this lately and heres what I wanted to say.
    I love good bikes, and they perform better in every way, hands down. But i still love my magna. I started mountain biking a few years ago on a rigid 97 aqua magna with thumb shifters, v brakes and classic 3x6 trans that i got out of the trash. I hardly ever ride it anymore, because its heavy and doesnt brake well, but i still like it better than my nice hardtail and heres why....

It just has so much personality. Its built like a tank, got it out of the trash and have never replaced anything on it. I have only needed to adjust the derailluer cables once, and it still not only shifts easily, but it shifts pretty quick. Ive taken that thing through inches of mud, rain, snow, sand and everything. Ive left it out in the rain for years and its still running and shifting like a dream. Ive physically thrown it countless times, and nothing ever brakes. Its been used and abused to the fullest extent of the word but it keeps on going. Ive ridden that thing on all of the same stufff that i take my hardtail on and its just as fun (besides the braking).

Heres the bottom line. Its like driving a cadillac vs. an old beater. The cadillac is great, but its too plush, smooth, sterile, and de-tatched. You just feel more connected to the beater cuz it has more personality.
    The old magna will take you for a less comfortable ride, but it holds up like a sherman tank and at the end of the day, has more personality.

Granted, the new magnas suck period. But this one is old and its awesome. Anyone have any idea what im talking about, or do i just look like a moron?
    I can appreciate your thinking. While stationed at NAS Jax many years ago, I bought a similar bike to ride between the barracks and the seawall everyday. If after years of abuse, this Magna works as good as your nice hardtail......I would really like to know what your "nice" hardtail is.