Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

I was looking through the new issue of Maxim

and they had an article on "How to ride mountain bikes like a Pro" They asked Niki Gudex...anyhow, there were 3 pictures of bikes for the Pro, Rookie and Hardcore. The bike pictured for the Pro category had the front fork installed backwards. Meaning, the front caliper was on the front side of the fork. After I stopped laughing my ass off, I started thinking.... what effect would that setup have? I know some motorcycles made in the 70s had the same setup?
    Last edited by jtdbsr; 07-31-2005 at 07:42 PM.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdbsr
    and they had an article on "How to ride mountain bikes like a Pro" They asked Niki Gudex...anyhow, there were 3 pictures of bikes for the Pro, Rookie and Hardcore. The bike pictured for the Pro category had the front fork installed backwards. Meaning, the front caliper was on the front side of the fork. After I stopped laughing my ass off, I started thinking.... what effect would that setup have? I know some motorcycles made in the 70s had the same setup?
    it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

mtbr member
    It would change the head angle and geometry of the bike. I think it would make the front end taller for sure.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by toad
    It would change the head angle and geometry of the bike. I think it would make the front end taller for sure.
    how would the brake caliper being mounted differently do that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=jtdbsr]The bike pictured for the Pro category had the front fork installed backwards. QUOTE]

That's a riot! I was in Sports Authority once and they had one of those budget Mongooses or a Royce Union or something like that on the floor with a RST shock installed backwards. Just one more example why you should never buy a bike from one of those places!

desert dweller
    Outside Magazine had the same problem a couple of years ago in the year end gear guide. I let my subscription run out after that. It's pathetic that they can't check the gear they are showing off. I sent them a letter offering my services as a mountain bike copy/photo editor for future issues. I never got any response -- funny, I don't think I was overly crass.

mbb

rad to the power of sick
    I often go to shops like sportchek and sports authority and ask about their bikes, giving the appearance as if i dont know much about bikes. Its really cruel yet hilarious. I cant believe these idiots get comissions for the crap they tell the average joe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    the fork was mounted backwards. it was a manitou sherman or something with a 20mm through axle.. i guess the mechanics at maxim got confused by the backwards arch?

"El Whatever"
    This thread is worthless without pics!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    I often go to shops like sportchek and sports authority and ask about their bikes, giving the appearance as if i dont know much about bikes. Its really cruel yet hilarious. I cant believe these idiots get comissions for the crap they tell the average joe.

I do the opposite of this, I go into these places, act like I am interested in their POS bikes (or skis) and then start asking questions inrended to make the salesman look stupid. I then act like they lost my sale due to their complete lack of knowledge.

The skiers out there should understand my rage at Sports Authority, we just got one in my area (cny) last winter. They came out with this huge ad campaign about what a great skiing/snowboarding store they are, how they have everything you need. I drive about 40 minutes to this crappy suburb I hate to go there and check it out. I figure hey I'll never buy much there, but I wanted to see it. I thought I'd play around a lil and pick there brains on boots and ask to see the bootfitter about some custom foot beds (he he). No one came around to help me so I gave up on that task. I just needed some P-tex sticks and I'd be gone. Had a nasty ding I had to fix before I could get out again. Couldn't find em, found a sales associate, he said they didn't ahve them. Nothing... a place that claims to have every thing needed for skiing and snowboarding didn't have one of the most basic repair elements of snow sliding devices. Thats like not having brake cables. I then asked about some more tuning stuff just to make this schmuck look like an ass. I then walked out and never went back. I work at a TV station so I see their stupid ad that claims to have everything needed for skiing and I just laugh now, with a bit of anger deep down in my heart, knowing that people who are new to the sports I love may be getting misled by these jackasses. This kis what turns newbies away sometimes, not being properly set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Outside Magazine had the same problem a couple of years ago in the year end gear guide. I let my subscription run out after that. It's pathetic that they can't check the gear they are showing off. I sent them a letter offering my services as a mountain bike copy/photo editor for future issues. I never got any response -- funny, I don't think I was overly crass.

mbb
    I think smug would work better than crass here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

40 minutes to find a sports authority?

you must live in the sticks. Sports Authority was cool back 15 -20 years ago, but now it is a joke.
    No room left for the private shops where knowledge is abundant. Now we have places like SA and Dick's that get cheap crap from china on the cheap.
    Dick's recently bought a small chain called Galyans. Galyans was a large store with name ok brand stuff for bikes (cateye, pedros). Now since Dick's bought them it is back to chinese made Bell crap.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    Assuming you're actually completely ignorant and not kidding ... surely you realize that the problem is that the FORK is mounted backwards. Since the wheel's axle drops into the fork at a point about an inch ahead of the fork's centreline, mounting the fork backwards would do the opposite: it'll put the wheel an inch behind the fork. This shortens the wheelbase and raises the head tube.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe
    you must live in the sticks.
    Yup, but we only have one Sports Authority (thank god) in this area, so anyone in say um a 1 and 1/2 hour radius would go to this one if they saw the need. It was really dead in there when I went, so I think most people don't see the need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe
    Sports Authority was cool back 15 -20 years ago, but now it is a joke.
    No room left for the private shops where knowledge is abundant. Now we have places like SA and Dick's that get cheap crap from china on the cheap.
    Dick's recently bought a small chain called Galyans. Galyans was a large store with name ok brand stuff for bikes (cateye, pedros).
    Actually Dick's used to be a great sporting goods store, we've had them around here for as long as I can remember. They never tried to do cycling. When they just dealt in lacrosse, golf, fishing, football, soccer and so on they were great. Then they started expanding, both in location and variety of inventory and everything went down the um.... rhymes with bitter...
    I went to a Galyan's once and thought it was pretty cool for a big box sporting good store, good outdoors stuff. I remember thinking "it would be cool if we had one of these instead of one of our many Dick's" Then I heard about the Dick's buyout and was in shock.

And yes there is still room for private shops were knowledge is abundant. I think many of the posts in this thread show that need.

mtbr member
    heres a picture

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    heres a picture

BUHWWHWHHWHAHAHAHHAHWHAHHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ou4owrgswo;yuihdkghsl ieurhg iush

Oh, damn, THANKS guys!!!!!!!! You don't know how bad I needed to laugh this week! That is absolutely THE funniest thing i've seen that's bike related. That's a REAL gem.

So, when do the rumors start that mounting your fork like this will "balance" the braking forces from left-to-right and also increase travel?????

Yo, TK - what month is that???????????????????? I MUST get it!!!!!! I need to frame that.

Oh oh oh - and with that set-up you should also have less brake dive!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    im not sure, i got the pic off of another forum where a guy posted the same thread

id assume its the newest one, the thread starter of this thread says he was lookin through the newest.

get down!
    and their idea of 'riding like a pro' involves walmart bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It would do a lot more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Assuming you're actually completely ignorant and not kidding ... surely you realize that the problem is that the FORK is mounted backwards. Since the wheel's axle drops into the fork at a point about an inch ahead of the fork's centreline, mounting the fork backwards would do the opposite: it'll put the wheel an inch behind the fork. This shortens the wheelbase and raises the head tube.

Kn.
    It would essentialy eliminate any fork rake, dramatically reducing, or eliminating trail, which would result in a very unstable ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdbsr
    could the picture been "mirrored" ???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Fashionably functional...
    That's wild. I was so in shock that they consider that a Pro bike that I really didn't even notice the fork mounted wrong. Mongoose really have to show me a lot before earning back any of my respect as a bike maker. There are currently too many as delivery boy transporters around my office at this point.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    could the picture been "mirrored" ???
    Please tell me you are joking. A mirrored image would not flip only the fork and ignore the entire rest of the image. God, please tell me that was not a serious question. Because if it was, my faith in humanity just took a significant drop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You know what else I noticed....

Check out the "head tube angle" and what they point to on this "pro" ride.

mtbr member
    Yeh, I read the "article". It looked like it was written by a eight year old in about five minutes reading through some manufacturer catalogs. There is a whole bunch of stuff in there that really doesn't make too much sense. If you had to guess where the head tube was, would you really guess there? Pretty freaking hilarious how it makes em look like morons, though.

rad to the power of sick
    I guess they didn't clue into what reverse arch meant....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast