Thread: I hate fixies.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

I hate fixies.

Because one just bucked me off (trying to avoid getting doored) and put my face into the asphalt.
    Not really hurt, just annoyed that I forgot how to ride one of them hipstermobiles (borrowed) ...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Glad to hear you aren't hurt. Whenever I ride my fixed gear commuter after a while of riding geared bikes, I have to fight that split-second temptation to relax and coast.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

thecentralscrutinizer
    For the street they don't make sense to me.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    For the street they don't make sense to me.
    And they do for the mountain?

because GIANT
    ^probably means track

mtbr member
    Some time ago I was riding downhill on a fixie and jumped off a curb. Well, I normally do drops with the cranks horizontal so that's what I did this time as well. I managed to stay on the bike but damn, you really can't let your guard down with them!

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Seen it like twenty times, but it still makes me laugh:

I hate fixies.-2010-07-06.gif

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I wouldn't ever ride a fixie on the street, especially brakeless. Save it for the velodrome.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    They are a fun on snow and ice. I love mine in Winter.

Hell Track
    never rode one but am interested to try. here in L.A. there are a ton of morons riding them through traffic like it's a playground, with no brake or helmet of course. Its so Hip. Problem i see is that many of them aren't very good on a bike

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    ...As opposed to being used on a velodrome.....You know, what they were really meant for.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I used to ride a fixed gear bike with a front brake. A car cut me off to go into a parking space and I hit the front brake and stopped pedaling as I rolled over the curb onto the sidewalk. That resulted in the back wheel popping several feet off the ground as I was heading straight for a telephone pole. I rode on the front tire and just managed to stop before hitting the pole. I probably could have controlled a regular bike much better than that.

If you are really good at skidding, you can slow down in about twice the distance you could using a normal bike with brakes. Even with a front brake, you most likely won't be able to stop as quickly because you'll still have to lock up the back wheel. All that skidding wears out rear tires really fast. The money you save in brake pads is meaningless compared to the number of tires you will destroy.

Bottom line - fixed gear bikes are interesting and maybe even fun but kind of silly and definitely more dangerous. I have a single speed road bike with front and rear brakes and a flip flop hub and I never bother to use the fixed side because coasting down hills is one of the best things about riding a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can someone explain the pros of a fixie? I don't get it

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Fixed gear commuter here, and on a track bike of all things!! It won't see a velodrome to be honest, as that is not why I got it. I wear a helmet, and run a front brake because I am not insane. The bike is a hell of a lot of fun to ride on the street. I don't ride like an idiot and I stop at lights/stop signs.

You have to relearn how to ride a bike when you make the transition. You don't get to cheat on the hills. You don't get to take that break from pedaling on a slight decline. You don't get to prepare yourself by placing the pedals at 3/9 to pop a curb.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 924.6/5000

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    They'll improve your cadence with a low gear if you mash a lot, and keep you spinning when you would be slacking. It'll teach you to post up and pedal over rough stuff instead of counting on your freehub to save you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have one for commuting. It works well for that tasks because it needs low maintenance, its quiet, and fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol ok well that sounds dangerous to me.. Good luck!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Hell Track
    watch "to live and ride in L.A." streaming on netflix. you'll see how some of the fixie guys ride around here. Some of them are good cyclists but running red lights and narrowly escaping being slammed by a motor vehicle is just idiotic

YYZ
    mtbr member
    I have a fixie made with an old aluminum frame from the 90s. This thing looks like complete crap but it's fun to ride. It's pretty simple and makes you peddle all the time, so on climbs your arse and legs are gonna be hurtin. It's just the sheer simplicity of the bike that makes it fun to me.

mtbr member
    This guy gets bucked off his fixie too.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Caution: Riding a fixie for any length of time can cause a hazardous change in ones personality.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Caution: Riding a fixie for any length of time can cause a hazardous change in ones personality.
    Riding (or attempting to ride) a fixie off road may cause a hazardous change in ones body. In believe there are people who actually do this, not hipsters, but equally smug retrogrouches. Can think of few things more nuts.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I've gotta say that having a fixie in the stable (although it's not a typical hipster fixie) has improved my off road riding. In twisty spots where I used to tap the brakes, I'm now much more likely to just let the bike do its thing. It was surprising, but a nice benefit.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: I hate fixies.

I like a nice fixed gear bicycle, but I absolutely despise the average mindless zombie trend follower that comprises most of the fixed gear community.

It's certainly dying down, though. Soon, they'll all be on to the next trend, with a brand new costume to go along with it, and their ugly trend accessories will be overflowing the craigslist bicycle classifieds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Am I the only one that has no desire to ever ride one?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Nope, and I'll take it one step further and say I have no desire to even ride a single speed for any length of time, at least on my commute. I feel like I am always compromising, set up for the hills I am spinning out on the flats and vice versa.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I commuted a singlespeed for two years or so. I was in Manhattan, though. But, it was kind of fun. I bought the bike as a crappy 10-speed, but after I'd thrown out enough parts, it was actually really fun. It developed a much lighter, sportier feel.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I rode a singlespeed when I lived in Manhattan. It's a very flat place and I left the bike locked outside. So when geared components stated disintegrating, I started throwing them out. Pro tip: the right BMX freewheel threads right on to a threaded hub. I did keep the brakes, though. I was pretty happy with the result. Getting rid of all the old, junky 10-speed stuff gave me a fun, sporty ride. In retrospect, I can't help wondering how much weight I got off it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Ride Instigator
    Nope, I'm right there with you. Riding (to me anyway) is about pleasure and not pain. I'll stick to my 6" FS, 2x9 setup thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I started out on fixies growing up. But I eventually upgraded.

I hate fixies.-big-wheels.jpg

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Well I built one and am afraid to ride it. Just the thought of having to pedal constantly, and never be able to freewheel tires me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is a fad that makes no sense lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I rode a singlespeed when I lived in Manhattan. It's a very flat place and I left the bike locked outside. So when geared components stated disintegrating, I started throwing them out. Pro tip: the right BMX freewheel threads right on to a threaded hub. I did keep the brakes, though. I was pretty happy with the result. Getting rid of all the old, junky 10-speed stuff gave me a fun, sporty ride. In retrospect, I can't help wondering how much weight I got off it.
    And what does any of this ^^^ have to do with a fixie.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I cannot seem to quote the picture that you posted of the "hipster", which will make my post seem less effective. The only thing that applies to me from that picture is the Chrome messenger bag. I have one because I simply cannot find a better made and more useful bag to commute with. Durable, and so easy to use. I checked out bags from Timbuk2 and other manufacturers, and they just don't match up in quality and ease of use along with the comfort of it.

I have tattoos, but had them before I got a fixed gear. I don't call them fixies either. It is simply a fixed gear. I shave my face, my head, and am well groomed. If I ride in jeans, they are not skin tight, and only the right leg is rolled up to keep it out of the chain. When you don't wear skinny jeans, you have to do this. I wear a helmet not a cycling hat. I wear Shimano biking shoes and clip in. I wear a normal belt. No spoke cards (yet lol). My keys ride in my bag or shorts pocket. My bike was professionally assembled at a reputable shop by reputable mechanics. I wear riding glasses simply for eye protection, clear or tinted depending on the conditions. And finally, I would never have gauges in my ears, ever. They aren't even pierced.

While the fixed gear community does have quite a few people in it like this, there are so many of us that are not like that. Just like the mountain bike community has the full blown spandex kit wearing ultra douche bags that are so annoying, not all mountain bikers are like that.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Well I built one and am afraid to ride it. Just the thought of having to pedal constantly, and never be able to freewheel tires me out

I used to worry about that also. Like how in the heck would I be able to ride any type of distance and not be able to rest my legs. It is pretty easy once you do it a few times. Your legs have to go through the motions, but you are not always "pedaling" the bike. I rest my legs as I ride and just let the pedals do their thing. My feet are still on the pedals, but I am not working my muscles at all. My first commute to work on a fixed gear was 8.5 miles. I thought that I would die. The ride home was even worse because my legs were not used to riding fixed. Last Friday night I rode 52 miles with a group of people, and did sprints up to about 30 mph in some short bursts. My rear hurt more than my legs did when I got home.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I used to worry about that also. Like how in the heck would I be able to ride any type of distance and not be able to rest my legs. It is pretty easy once you do it a few times. Your legs have to go through the motions, but you are not always "pedaling" the bike. I rest my legs as I ride and just let the pedals do their thing. My feet are still on the pedals, but I am not working my muscles at all. My first commute to work on a fixed gear was 8.5 miles. I thought that I would die. The ride home was even worse because my legs were not used to riding fixed. Last Friday night I rode 52 miles with a group of people, and did sprints up to about 30 mph in some short bursts. My rear hurt more than my legs did when I got home.
    Inspiring. I have a flip flop hub and intend to flip from SS to fixed today. So much rain here the trails are a mucky mess. The fixie on the road seems like a challenge that can only do good for the legs. I have front and rear brakes and can stop if I can't handle anything.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ give it a shot. The worst that happens is that you don't like it, and you flip it back. That is how I started. Was riding single, and one day I decided to try fixed. Didn't work for me right off the bat, but I kept trying, and now I love it.

Hope that you have a good experience with it. My experience with it is that more rear brake is better than front since you want to stop the wheel that is "powered".

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

^ give it a shot. The worst that happens is that you don't like it, and you flip it back. That is how I started. Was riding single, and one day I decided to try fixed. Didn't work for me right off the bat, but I kept trying, and now I love it.

Hope that you have a good experience with it. My experience with it is that more rear brake is better than front since you want to stop the wheel that is "powered".
    Flopped mine to fixed today and popped my cherry. Only 10 miles of rolling terrain, but enough to learn lessons Hard things: mounting, descending. Not so hard: tempo riding, climbing.

Mounting reminiscent of mounting mountain bike on hill , only the crank is turning. I straddled the top tube , clipped in right foot, started moving forward slowly and was able to catch and clip left foot on pedal on 2nd or 3rd crank revolution. Not elegant but successful. Descending, hardest thing is to resist overwhelming temptation to try to coast, which of course you can't. So using my rear brake as anchor, I slowed bike ever down to speed where crank cadence was comfy and manageable. On flats, just hammer as smoothly as possible , using the pedal in circles technique. Climbing is exactly like a SS mountain bike. I put flat bar on fixie; so I stood pulled, on the bars and pushed and pulled on the pedals. The troll who once posted on this forum that there's no upstroke in pedaling a bicycle has never ridden a fixie , much less climbed on one.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Was this on or off road?

Sent from my Moto X

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Was this on or off road?

Sent from my Moto X
    On road. Off road would be nucking futz

mtbr member
    ^ now ride fixed for a week, and then switch back to a bike with a freewheel again. I find that my legs have to re-learn how to coast, which is a really bizarre feeling.

Right at the start of a ride I'll try to hop a curb or something. My brain wants to level the pedals and preload the bike, but my legs absolutely refuse to let me level the pedals and instead they just keep spinning like idiots. I figure it out again pretty quickly, but it usually takes a block or two to get things down.

I cannot seem to quote the picture that you posted of the "hipster", which will make my post seem less effective. The only thing that applies to me from that picture is the Chrome messenger bag. I have one because I simply cannot find a better made and more useful bag to commute with. Durable, and so easy to use. I checked out bags from Timbuk2 and other manufacturers, and they just don't match up in quality and ease of use along with the comfort of it.

I have tattoos, but had them before I got a fixed gear. I don't call them fixies either. It is simply a fixed gear. I shave my face, my head, and am well groomed. If I ride in jeans, they are not skin tight, and only the right leg is rolled up to keep it out of the chain. When you don't wear skinny jeans, you have to do this. I wear a helmet not a cycling hat. I wear Shimano biking shoes and clip in. I wear a normal belt. No spoke cards (yet lol). My keys ride in my bag or shorts pocket. My bike was professionally assembled at a reputable shop by reputable mechanics. I wear riding glasses simply for eye protection, clear or tinted depending on the conditions. And finally, I would never have gauges in my ears, ever. They aren't even pierced.

While the fixed gear community does have quite a few people in it like this, there are so many of us that are not like that. Just like the mountain bike community has the full blown spandex kit wearing ultra douche bags that are so annoying, not all mountain bikers are like that.
    Here's the picture I posted if this helps.

Attached Images Attached Images  

And what does any of this ^^^ have to do with a fixie.
    You'd be surprised how many people don't distinguish between a singlespeed road bike and a fixie.

Aside from you won't ever see me take a brakeless bike on the road, I have some definite sympathy with fans of fixies. You don't realize until you try removing it how much crap a multispeed drivetrain adds.

I actually have a track bike now, but aside from a few training sessions before my first time on the velodrome, I've only ever had it on the velodrome. Brakes aren't legal there, and I'm too lazy to add and subtract a bunch of stuff all the time.

It's an interesting feeling to be able to slow the bike by resisting the pedals with my feet. At risk of sounding cliche, I actually kind of liked it - I felt a lot more connected to the bike.

I wore the finish off the parts of the brake levers on my old MTB that I put my fingers over. I used to say that was my zen-like connection with the bike. But there really is nothing quite like a fixed drivetrain.

I'd rather be on my bike

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ now ride fixed for a week, and then switch back to a bike with a freewheel again. I find that my legs have to re-learn how to coast, which is a really bizarre feeling.

Right at the start of a ride I'll try to hop a curb or something. My brain wants to level the pedals and preload the bike, but my legs absolutely refuse to let me level the pedals and instead they just keep spinning like idiots. I figure it out again pretty quickly, but it usually takes a block or two to get things down.
    I ended up selling my geared cross bike for this reason. I ended up hating it because I found myself cheating by coasting.

Sent from my Moto X

Unpredictable
    I liked the movie about the fixie couriers in New York a year or 2 ago. That's as close as I will get to riding one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    I liked the movie about the fixie couriers in New York a year or 2 ago. That's as close as I will get to riding one.
    "Premium rush"

I'd rather be on my bike
    The cliche is that you feel connected to the bike. It is true though, at least for me. I really enjoy it and look less and less forward to the winter and getting a geared fat bike and commuting on that.

Sent from my Moto X

Unpredictable
    Good riding

I'd rather be on my bike
    A lot of the riding scenes in the movie were done by Austin Horse, who is one of the best bike messengers in the world.

But there really is nothing quite like a fixed drivetrain.
    Yeah it's a constant pedal nightmare.
    No thanks!

Especially on the road, I pedal almost all the time anyway. Actually, that makes the track bike a little sketchier in some ways - it doesn't feel any different than what I do all the time anyway, so it's easier to forget I can't coast.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Especially on the road, I pedal almost all the time anyway. Actually, that makes the track bike a little sketchier in some ways - it doesn't feel any different than what I do all the time anyway, so it's easier to forget I can't coast.
    C'mon now. I'm calling BS. NOBODY pedals all the way down a long descent, UNLESS they are on a fixed gear. It ain't natural to spin out pedaling if you have a freewheel. Its natural to coast. It's a huge strain to keep
    pedaling on a fixie while descending. Resisting the urge to coast is a mindf ***. Bless you if can do it. Me , I have to pull rear brake to slow the bike down to a speed where the cadence is manageable, if not comfortable.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have a fixed gear with a front brake that I used to commute on and it is fun to ride. Simple, nothing can really go wrong with it. When I lived in a Winnipeg I started riding a single-speed on the trails in the city but swapped it ti fixed to make it more interesting. A fixed gear mtb makes the same old trails seem new and exiting. I wouldn't do it where there are long steep hills though. Fixed gear is just another way to have fun.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

C'mon now. I'm calling BS. NOBODY pedals all the way down a long descent, UNLESS they are on a fixed gear. It ain't natural to spin out pedaling if you have a freewheel. Its natural to coast. It's a huge strain to keep
    pedaling on a fixie while descending. Resisting the urge to coast is a mindf ***. Bless you if can do it. Me , I have to pull rear brake to slow the bike down to a speed where the cadence is manageable, if not comfortable.

Yep I'm with dirtjunkie on this. "A constant pedal nightmare"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Probably going to age myself here, but when I first read your post I assumed you dropped a zero and were talking about Quicksilver...LOL The first fixie fad movie.

I will have to check that one out.

I have had an appreciation for them since reading about the '84 Olympics Velo bikes, but I have no reason or wish to ride one.
    Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Yep I'm with dirtjunkie on this. "A constant pedal nightmare"
    "Nightmare" is a bit extreme. Think of it as "constant pedal challenge". Yes, you are locked into pedaling, but brakes do make it manageable. What could be a better fitness , leg strength builder than being forced to pedal?

Off road use , however, is beyond my powers of imagination.

mtbr member
    Kindof surprised no one has posted this yet: Post Your Fixed Gear MTB

I use mine on the tame singletrack that's around, but it's pretty terrifying.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

There's a fixie/single speed forum on road bike review. One of the regulars put it like this:

For most riders, it's kind of an all-or-nothing thing: if you don't hate it, you'll get addicted to it.

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    You can put your feet on the top tube if you really want to.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You can put your feet on the top tube if you really want to.
    You also can get off your mountain bike and hike a section you think is too gnarly, but it is not exactly a badge of honor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You want to see some crazy fixed gear riding you should check out Line of Sight.

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    You also can get off your mountain bike and hike a section you think is too gnarly, but it is not exactly a badge of honor.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Machismo can be entertaining, when it can keep itself from telling you how much it can bench press.

mtbr member
    It's funny how it's always a rider with gears telling people they couldn't ride a singlespeed bike, and an SS rider saying he couldn't ride a fixie. People are quick to limit themselves. They are not sure they can do something, so they won't. It's safer to stay within the boundaries you set yourself, especially if you know you can reach them. But where's the fun in that?

I find it very important in life to do things even if I'm not sure I can do it.

And there's a little secret: it is easier to ride with just one gear if that's all you have. Forget simulating it with a geared bike on one gear - it's just not the same. Also the constant pedalling is easier on a fixed bike. It can't be mimicked by just doing it on a bike with a freewheel.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Machismo can be entertaining, when it can keep itself from telling you how much it can bench press.
    Heh

Reminds me of this joke: Q. How do you know if a guy rides a fixie?

A. He'll tell you

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Right? I suppose that joke could translate to anything from how do you know if a guy rides a fixie to thinks he's buff, loves guns, races motorcycles, can fix anything, is an idiot chauvinist, etc.

Seems like a lot of guys are 'funny' like that.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Right? I suppose that joke could translate to anything from how do you know if a guy rides a fixie to thinks he's buff, loves guns, races motorcycles, can fix anything, is an idiot chauvinist, etc.

Seems like a lot of guys are 'funny' like that.

Maybe so. The fixie joke is well known among roadies

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Maybe so. The fixie joke is well known among roadies
    Ive heard that joke but with two other groups.

with triathletes and firefighters..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    I've heard the variation with vegetarians.

Here's a new one: How do you know if a road cyclist hates fixies?
    - You tell a joke and he doesn't laugh. Turning to more serious subjects, he explains that too much saddle-time on a narrow saddle has made him impotent, which has made him bitter and unable to see or enjoy fun things in life.

mtbr member
    I've also heard that joke concerning apple fanboys. Here's another Vege joke or more of a saying I suppose:

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

Now, of course, this is a terrible joke and is insulting not only to vegetarians but meat eating native americans as well. The real joke is that my dad went on vacation a few years back and got me a t-shirt with that boldly printed on it, not only that but he got one for himself as well.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Rethinking your approach ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

There's always craftsmanship beyond words.

Thonet Bike Ė An amazing wooden fixie bike
    ďThonet BikeĒ is a concept of wooden fixie bike created by designer Andy Martin in collaboration with Thonet. Equipped with carbon fiber wheels, this fixie bikes first strikes by its clean beech wood frame made through a process of steam bending developed in the 1930s. Beautiful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

I hate fixies.-image.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ 10/10 would ride.

I don't care if it is a fad or what anyone thinks. I love riding fixed.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

^ 10/10 would ride.

I don't care if it is a fad or what anyone thinks. I love riding fixed.
    +1 And I'm not hesitant to tell anyone/ everyone I do.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Rode 45 miles last night with a group, 20 miles or so at a slower group pace, and then the rest as a small group terrorizing the town with sprints, cruising, etc. Was a blast, and I pedaled the whole way! The horror!!!

mtbr member
    purely aesthetics but i think fixies look anemic. the frames can be beautifully done but that single cog at the back makes me think: "where's the beef?" one of the nice things about gears-gears-gears is the ease they gives your knees.
    OBOB - facebook group for old boys on bikes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456223717957232/

I'd rather be on my bike
    That is pretty funny, because I look at a geared bike, and think to myself, man that looks like a hot mess with the derailleurs and the extra cables and then shifters or whatever. And then when you are in the biggest gear, the derailleur hangs way down like that and the chain looks really stretched out. If you remove all of that, wow, the bike looks really clean!

This thing is beautiful!!

Yeah, I get to ride it every day!

This thing is beautiful!!

Yeah, I get to ride it every day!
    Pardon me sir but isn't that one of those road thingamajiggys.

I'd rather be on my bike
    It sure is! Having a blast on the road on it and not looking back.

mtbr member
    It sure is! Having a blast on the road on it and not looking back.
    there's no denying the "bare essentials" appeal of a fixie but for those of us equipped with less than olympian knees, a big, fat, bulging rear sprocket, loaded with options is just what the doctor ordered.

like that old joke about a young bull and an old bull standing on a hill overlooking a herd of heffers. the young bull says "let's run down and screw 'em all" and the old bull says "no, let's walk down."

that 18th gear is myyyyyy buddy.
    OBOB - facebook group for old boys on bikes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456223717957232/

m66
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nope, the young bull - Penn says " let's run down and screw one of them" and the old bull - Duvall says " no, let's walk down and screw `em all. From movie Colours...

mtbr member
    My car has no shocks/springs or brakes and has only one gear.

Said no one ever.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am running a front brake because I am not crazy. Cars and bikes cannot be compared here.

mtbr member

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Check out my high-end (ehm) single speed. What is not to like about it? It even has bells ffs!

occ member
    Fixie donít stop, fixie donít care.

mtbr member
    yes ... a picture is starting to emerge here of nilistic curmudgeons with a (singular) cog loose ...

i think we may be able to relate after all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Fixie donít stop, fixie donít care.

HAD to google and find the source..

Fixed gear crash in latvia - YouTube

I'd rather be on my bike
    Follow a truck that closely at that speed, and you are bound to wreck. Rider is an idiot.

mtbr member

I am running a front brake because I am not crazy. Cars and bikes cannot be compared here.
    Comparing vehicles? Its crazy talk right?

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

My "regular" road bike has compact chainrings and 11-30 ten speed cassette. My mtb is a 650b 1X10 with 30T chainring and 11-40 cassette. Generally, like most mormal people, I prefer the geared bikes. Though I also have an old school 26'er mtb SS, geared at 32:17. I do prefer having low gears. My fixie is geared 42:16. Considered low in the fixie world where 44T is the default ring.

What is surprising to me and others who don't ride SS, much less fixed. is how quickly you adapt to climbing in higher gears that you normally would. All except extreme grades, that is. Very steep terrain requires an animal on a SS or fixie. Of which there are many, present company excluded. But in moderate terrain it's easier than it sounds, even for regular riders

I'd rather be on my bike
    It isn't that hard to climb...especially when you know that you only have one gear. Just turn your mind off, ignore your legs, and start cranking.

Just turn your mind off, ignore your legs, and start cranking.
    Sounds like a woman I once knew.

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

It isn't that hard to climb...especially when you know that you only have one gear. Just turn your mind off, ignore your legs, and start cranking.
    Reminds me of pro road racer, Jens Voigt, with his famous mantra. "Shut up, legs "

I climb seated in that one gear up grades I didn't think I could. Only stand when the grade starts hurting the knees too much. My standing stamina isn't peak yet, though. I'll need another season of practice, meaning "wait till next year."