Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I hate fixies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Am I the only one that has no desire to ever ride one?
    Nope, and I'll take it one step further and say I have no desire to even ride a single speed for any length of time, at least on my commute. I feel like I am always compromising, set up for the hills I am spinning out on the flats and vice versa.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I commuted a singlespeed for two years or so. I was in Manhattan, though. But, it was kind of fun. I bought the bike as a crappy 10-speed, but after I'd thrown out enough parts, it was actually really fun. It developed a much lighter, sportier feel.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: I hate fixies.

I rode a singlespeed when I lived in Manhattan. It's a very flat place and I left the bike locked outside. So when geared components stated disintegrating, I started throwing them out. Pro tip: the right BMX freewheel threads right on to a threaded hub. I did keep the brakes, though. I was pretty happy with the result. Getting rid of all the old, junky 10-speed stuff gave me a fun, sporty ride. In retrospect, I can't help wondering how much weight I got off it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Ride Instigator
    Nope, I'm right there with you. Riding (to me anyway) is about pleasure and not pain. I'll stick to my 6" FS, 2x9 setup thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I started out on fixies growing up. But I eventually upgraded.

I hate fixies.-big-wheels.jpg

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Well I built one and am afraid to ride it. Just the thought of having to pedal constantly, and never be able to freewheel tires me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is a fad that makes no sense lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I rode a singlespeed when I lived in Manhattan. It's a very flat place and I left the bike locked outside. So when geared components stated disintegrating, I started throwing them out. Pro tip: the right BMX freewheel threads right on to a threaded hub. I did keep the brakes, though. I was pretty happy with the result. Getting rid of all the old, junky 10-speed stuff gave me a fun, sporty ride. In retrospect, I can't help wondering how much weight I got off it.
    And what does any of this ^^^ have to do with a fixie.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Caution: Riding a fixie for any length of time can cause a hazardous change in ones personality.
    I cannot seem to quote the picture that you posted of the "hipster", which will make my post seem less effective. The only thing that applies to me from that picture is the Chrome messenger bag. I have one because I simply cannot find a better made and more useful bag to commute with. Durable, and so easy to use. I checked out bags from Timbuk2 and other manufacturers, and they just don't match up in quality and ease of use along with the comfort of it.

I have tattoos, but had them before I got a fixed gear. I don't call them fixies either. It is simply a fixed gear. I shave my face, my head, and am well groomed. If I ride in jeans, they are not skin tight, and only the right leg is rolled up to keep it out of the chain. When you don't wear skinny jeans, you have to do this. I wear a helmet not a cycling hat. I wear Shimano biking shoes and clip in. I wear a normal belt. No spoke cards (yet lol). My keys ride in my bag or shorts pocket. My bike was professionally assembled at a reputable shop by reputable mechanics. I wear riding glasses simply for eye protection, clear or tinted depending on the conditions. And finally, I would never have gauges in my ears, ever. They aren't even pierced.

While the fixed gear community does have quite a few people in it like this, there are so many of us that are not like that. Just like the mountain bike community has the full blown spandex kit wearing ultra douche bags that are so annoying, not all mountain bikers are like that.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Well I built one and am afraid to ride it. Just the thought of having to pedal constantly, and never be able to freewheel tires me out

I used to worry about that also. Like how in the heck would I be able to ride any type of distance and not be able to rest my legs. It is pretty easy once you do it a few times. Your legs have to go through the motions, but you are not always "pedaling" the bike. I rest my legs as I ride and just let the pedals do their thing. My feet are still on the pedals, but I am not working my muscles at all. My first commute to work on a fixed gear was 8.5 miles. I thought that I would die. The ride home was even worse because my legs were not used to riding fixed. Last Friday night I rode 52 miles with a group of people, and did sprints up to about 30 mph in some short bursts. My rear hurt more than my legs did when I got home.
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I used to worry about that also. Like how in the heck would I be able to ride any type of distance and not be able to rest my legs. It is pretty easy once you do it a few times. Your legs have to go through the motions, but you are not always "pedaling" the bike. I rest my legs as I ride and just let the pedals do their thing. My feet are still on the pedals, but I am not working my muscles at all. My first commute to work on a fixed gear was 8.5 miles. I thought that I would die. The ride home was even worse because my legs were not used to riding fixed. Last Friday night I rode 52 miles with a group of people, and did sprints up to about 30 mph in some short bursts. My rear hurt more than my legs did when I got home.
    Inspiring. I have a flip flop hub and intend to flip from SS to fixed today. So much rain here the trails are a mucky mess. The fixie on the road seems like a challenge that can only do good for the legs. I have front and rear brakes and can stop if I can't handle anything.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ give it a shot. The worst that happens is that you don't like it, and you flip it back. That is how I started. Was riding single, and one day I decided to try fixed. Didn't work for me right off the bat, but I kept trying, and now I love it.

Hope that you have a good experience with it. My experience with it is that more rear brake is better than front since you want to stop the wheel that is "powered".
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

^ give it a shot. The worst that happens is that you don't like it, and you flip it back. That is how I started. Was riding single, and one day I decided to try fixed. Didn't work for me right off the bat, but I kept trying, and now I love it.

Hope that you have a good experience with it. My experience with it is that more rear brake is better than front since you want to stop the wheel that is "powered".
    Flopped mine to fixed today and popped my cherry. Only 10 miles of rolling terrain, but enough to learn lessons Hard things: mounting, descending. Not so hard: tempo riding, climbing.

Mounting reminiscent of mounting mountain bike on hill , only the crank is turning. I straddled the top tube , clipped in right foot, started moving forward slowly and was able to catch and clip left foot on pedal on 2nd or 3rd crank revolution. Not elegant but successful. Descending, hardest thing is to resist overwhelming temptation to try to coast, which of course you can't. So using my rear brake as anchor, I slowed bike ever down to speed where crank cadence was comfy and manageable. On flats, just hammer as smoothly as possible , using the pedal in circles technique. Climbing is exactly like a SS mountain bike. I put flat bar on fixie; so I stood pulled, on the bars and pushed and pulled on the pedals. The troll who once posted on this forum that there's no upstroke in pedaling a bicycle has never ridden a fixie , much less climbed on one.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Was this on or off road?

Sent from my Moto X
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

dwt
    mtbr member

I hate fixies.

Was this on or off road?

Sent from my Moto X
    On road. Off road would be nucking futz

mtbr member
    ^ now ride fixed for a week, and then switch back to a bike with a freewheel again. I find that my legs have to re-learn how to coast, which is a really bizarre feeling.

Right at the start of a ride I'll try to hop a curb or something. My brain wants to level the pedals and preload the bike, but my legs absolutely refuse to let me level the pedals and instead they just keep spinning like idiots. I figure it out again pretty quickly, but it usually takes a block or two to get things down.

Front Range, Colorado
    Caution: Riding a fixie for any length of time can cause a hazardous change in ones personality.

I cannot seem to quote the picture that you posted of the "hipster", which will make my post seem less effective. The only thing that applies to me from that picture is the Chrome messenger bag. I have one because I simply cannot find a better made and more useful bag to commute with. Durable, and so easy to use. I checked out bags from Timbuk2 and other manufacturers, and they just don't match up in quality and ease of use along with the comfort of it.

I have tattoos, but had them before I got a fixed gear. I don't call them fixies either. It is simply a fixed gear. I shave my face, my head, and am well groomed. If I ride in jeans, they are not skin tight, and only the right leg is rolled up to keep it out of the chain. When you don't wear skinny jeans, you have to do this. I wear a helmet not a cycling hat. I wear Shimano biking shoes and clip in. I wear a normal belt. No spoke cards (yet lol). My keys ride in my bag or shorts pocket. My bike was professionally assembled at a reputable shop by reputable mechanics. I wear riding glasses simply for eye protection, clear or tinted depending on the conditions. And finally, I would never have gauges in my ears, ever. They aren't even pierced.

While the fixed gear community does have quite a few people in it like this, there are so many of us that are not like that. Just like the mountain bike community has the full blown spandex kit wearing ultra douche bags that are so annoying, not all mountain bikers are like that.
    Here's the picture I posted if this helps.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Fat-tired Roadie

And what does any of this ^^^ have to do with a fixie.
    You'd be surprised how many people don't distinguish between a singlespeed road bike and a fixie.

Aside from you won't ever see me take a brakeless bike on the road, I have some definite sympathy with fans of fixies. You don't realize until you try removing it how much crap a multispeed drivetrain adds.

I actually have a track bike now, but aside from a few training sessions before my first time on the velodrome, I've only ever had it on the velodrome. Brakes aren't legal there, and I'm too lazy to add and subtract a bunch of stuff all the time.

It's an interesting feeling to be able to slow the bike by resisting the pedals with my feet. At risk of sounding cliche, I actually kind of liked it - I felt a lot more connected to the bike.

I wore the finish off the parts of the brake levers on my old MTB that I put my fingers over. I used to say that was my zen-like connection with the bike. But there really is nothing quite like a fixed drivetrain.

I'd rather be on my bike

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ now ride fixed for a week, and then switch back to a bike with a freewheel again. I find that my legs have to re-learn how to coast, which is a really bizarre feeling.

Right at the start of a ride I'll try to hop a curb or something. My brain wants to level the pedals and preload the bike, but my legs absolutely refuse to let me level the pedals and instead they just keep spinning like idiots. I figure it out again pretty quickly, but it usually takes a block or two to get things down.
    I ended up selling my geared cross bike for this reason. I ended up hating it because I found myself cheating by coasting.

Sent from my Moto X
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

Unpredictable
    I liked the movie about the fixie couriers in New York a year or 2 ago. That's as close as I will get to riding one.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    I liked the movie about the fixie couriers in New York a year or 2 ago. That's as close as I will get to riding one.
    "Premium rush"
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

I'd rather be on my bike
    The cliche is that you feel connected to the bike. It is true though, at least for me. I really enjoy it and look less and less forward to the winter and getting a geared fat bike and commuting on that.

Sent from my Moto X
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

Unpredictable
    Good riding

I'd rather be on my bike
    A lot of the riding scenes in the movie were done by Austin Horse, who is one of the best bike messengers in the world.
    2014 miles - 3053/2500

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast