Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    meh... whatever
    btw, what size are you looking for? i have a few NOS closeout bikes i could work you a VERY good deal on.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member

Re: I hate to ask, but...good budget road bike?

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    whats a toad bike?
    Edited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    btw, what size are you looking for? i have a few NOS closeout bikes i could work you a VERY good deal on.
    Probably a 52cm. Could probably fit on a 54cm if I had to but I think I'm pretty close to a 52. Whatcha got?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Lots of advice to try to avoid a road bike...don't be scared...get the right tool for the job. I know several folks who did just that and ended up selling their cross bike for a regular road bike...cross bikes are best for cross and it is unlikely you will choose your cross bike over your mountain bike for offroad.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I've got thousands of miles of experience on a road bike. I raced triathlons for 5 years, including a half ironman, and did several centuries. The only issue with this century coming up is that I no longer own a road bike.

well...that and the fact that I did the vast majority of my road riding in California, where roads are built for bikes. Here in GA, road bikes are targets.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Root of all Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post

The bikesdirect ...The frames are supposedly built in the same factory that supplies Trek with their $1500 spec road bikes.
    Treks are made by Giant.
    BD bikes are made by either Fuji (Ideal) or Kinesis, depending on model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Probably a 52cm. Could probably fit on a 54cm if I had to but I think I'm pretty close to a 52. Whatcha got?
    I am 5' 7" and ride a 17 inch Mtn Bike, but 52 cm road bike with a slightly longer stem. I once rented a 54 cm specialized Allez Race and seemed to fit fine. I bet I am somewhere in between. If you are the same height I am then a 52 or 54 could work, but it is best to get on the bike first as not every 52 frame fits the same way.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

I hate to ask, but...good budget road bike?

5'6" with a 29" inseam. I fit perfectly on a small Yeti ASR5 with a 70mm stem. I also fit comfortably on a small Niner Air RDO.

I think 52 is spot on but I'll demo to make sure.

mtbr member
    5'6" with a 29" inseam..I ride a 52.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I've got thousands of miles of experience on a road bike. I raced triathlons for 5 years, including a half ironman, and did several centuries. The only issue with this century coming up is that I no longer own a road bike.

well...that and the fact that I did the vast majority of my road riding in California, where roads are built for bikes. Here in GA, road bikes are targets.
    With all that experience, why are you asking a bunch of mountain bikers what road bike to get? I'd think you should know what you're looking at/for if you have thousands of miles under your belt on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    With all that experience, why are you asking a bunch of mountain bikers what road bike to get? I'd think you should know what you're looking at/for if you have thousands of miles under your belt on a road bike.
    Because it's been about 15 year since I've ridden one. My last road bike had a quill stem, 12 speeds, and was all aluminum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Lots of advice to try to avoid a road bike...don't be scared...get the right tool for the job. I know several folks who did just that and ended up selling their cross bike for a regular road bike...cross bikes are best for cross and it is unlikely you will choose your cross bike over your mountain bike for offroad.

Cross bike with road tires = 90% road bike and probably more comfortable for non racing cyclists.

A Road bike is limited to skinny tires. A cross bike is much more versatile and a VERY CAPABLE road bike and can be a lot of fun on smooth single track.

If you're a serious road biker, like to ride in pelotons and race, then, by all means get a dedicated road bike. If you want the option of much smoother riding tires and a lot less vibration on the road along with the option to hit light trails, get a cross bike.
    Are you really sure about that?

Trailhead Poseur
    If you're not married to the idea of a carbon frame, a used, 105-equipped CAAD10 would make a good budget road bike.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Lots of advice to try to avoid a road bike...don't be scared...get the right tool for the job.
    +1

Wide tires and fenders are great for commuting and touring but a true road bike is faster, better handling, and more fun for playing on pavement IMO.

mtbr member
    Because it's been about 15 year since I've ridden one. My last road bike had a quill stem, 12 speeds, and was all aluminum.
    Gotcha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Cross bike with road tires = 90% road bike and probably more comfortable for non racing cyclists.

A Road bike is limited to skinny tires. A cross bike is much more versatile and a VERY CAPABLE road bike and can be a lot of fun on smooth single track.

If you're a serious road biker, like to ride in pelotons and race, then, by all means get a dedicated road bike. If you want the option of much smoother riding tires and a lot less vibration on the road along with the option to hit light trails, get a cross bike.
    Why is everyone so hellbent on getting the OP on a CX bike? He wants to do a century road ride. ROAD RIDE!!! Not a gravel grinder. Not smooth trails. Road. Best thing for a road ride, especially one 100+ miles long is a road bike. Throw some 25c or 28c tires on the thing and it'll be perfectly comfortable as long as the fit is right.

Clueless Bastard
    Uh, its road biking. Not that much has changed. I mean look how long it took for disc brakes on Cross and some Road bikes to really take hold. Finally got electronic shifting...that took forever. Road tubeless still isn't common. Good luck in your search.

meh... whatever
    the only thing i have in that size is a scott speedster with tiagra. tiagra stuff isn't flimsy like it used to be. it's pretty much 105 of a couple years ago.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    My suggestion would be to go with a cheaper bike until you are positive that road riding is part of your overall fitness plan. Nothing worse than laying down a grand, then later deciding, meh.

There are bikes-o-plenty from the 90's with bullet proof groups like RX100, 105 and 600 (Ultegra), and parts are cheap. They go for $150-200, and I've come across more than a few that were still like new where it counts (bearing races). Whether or not you decide to continue to road ride, you can sell them for what you paid for them, or more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    My suggestion would be to go with a cheaper bike until you are positive that road riding is part of your overall fitness plan. Nothing worse than laying down a grand, then later deciding, meh.
    I am of the opposite opinion, I say get a good bike with modern carbon seat stays and fork and decent group. There is a world of difference in feel, speed and comfort from what was available even five years ago.

Easiest way to lay down cash and decide "meh" on road biking (or MTB for that matter) is to buy a bike that is not inspiring or feels like you are hauling around a boat anchor. Either way you end up with something sitting around you don't like. So it is not how much money you spend, it is getting the most value out of whatever that amount is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Why is everyone so hellbent on getting the OP on a CX bike? He wants to do a century road ride. ROAD RIDE!!! Not a gravel grinder. Not smooth trails. Road. Best thing for a road ride, especially one 100+ miles long is a road bike. Throw some 25c or 28c tires on the thing and it'll be perfectly comfortable as long as the fit is right.
    I agree. I have a mtn bike for the dirt and road bike for the road. I like them because they are different. I even run old school. 700x23 tires on the road bike and like it for what it is. If I need to ride on the road the road bike it is. When I get to the dirt it is mtn bike. The only time I would consider a cross bike is if I wanted to do actual cyclocross or I had commute that included pavement and smooth gravel roads. Around here commutes can involve pavement and canal paths. I am not comfortable taking the road bike narrow tires on gravel as it will chew up the tires, but a cross bike might work perfect for a mixed commute. I don't mind giving up some road performance to get little dirt performance if have mix route I ride everyday. However short of that specific need I don't see the point.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I went with a Giant Defy Advanced 3 .....Endurance geometry, Carbon frame, lower Shimano 105 group set. I am upgrading parts as the wear out. Works for me, glad I didn't buy a low end frame.

mtbr member
    A road bike is the way to go if/when riding on the road. I love mine. I commuted for a couple months on my mtb, and the road bike was a huge improvement.

Lots of decent aluminium bikes w/ carbon seatposts, seatstays, and forks out there for $700-800. Not sure what you consider 'budget,' though. My first bike fit that description, and I quite liked it. I like my current all-carbon bike better, of course, but the difference in materials isn't huge.

If you haven't been looking at road bikes, the bigger difference might be in frame geometry. "Endurance" or "plush" or whatever bikes have really taken off in the last few years, it seems. Examples are the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane or the Felt Z-series in my signature. A few centimeters more upright on the bike really has been a welcome change from my prior bike, which had more traditional or compact (ie -- flat top tube) geometry.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2