Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I challenge you!

I challenge you to watch this video without laughing,,,,If you can,, either
    your a better man than me or have had less alcohol

Mega Wad MTB Crash Action From 1993 - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Lol, yeah, there's some good stuff there. I think it was the fanny packs that were throwing them off.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Ultra Ventanaphile
    @ 2:52 the smoothest guy in that section in the Yeti kit, Tomac?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

meow meow
    i pulled one of those today, heels touched my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    @ 2:52 the smoothest guy in that section in the Yeti kit, Tomac?
    I didn't see drop bars on it, did you?

Aaron, hell the how are ye?!?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Lol, yeah, there's some good stuff there. I think it was the fanny packs that were throwing them off.
    Ah, quite possibly! I was thinking the 300mm bars, but yes, fanny packs likely as well.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

How much further ???
    If only they were running Boost hubs back then they would have been fine.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    What impresses me is that the section of trail they're all wiping out on isn't very challenging. Not that I haven't wiped out on easy stuff, espcially when my my body gets stupid from cranial oxygen deprivation - but it looks like none of them has seen a rock or root in the trail before.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    ^^ Yeah, I was thinking, "man, this looks like a race I could actually win." I'd love to travel back in time there and fly down that hill on my 155 mm FS, or even blow all those guys away on the HT 29er, and might even be able to get down better than those guys on my hybrid. In 1993, at 13 y.o., I could've likely ridden any one of their bikes and made it down better. Was MTB harder back then or something?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Was MTB harder back then or something?

Apparently so! Dropper posts, DH geo, and advances in suspension tech have made a huge difference since then I'd wager.

Funny to watch, especially because of the getup some of these guys have on. They look like astronauts!

mtbr member
    This was my race bike in 1994 (with a Judy at the time). Can't imagine why we were going over the bars more often back then, steep descents.

It's funny though... I remember just stepping over the bars, turning around, grabbing the bike - in the air - and running and jumping back on. What made it easier to flip, made it easier to bail too.

Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Yeah, pretty funny :0)

It just goes to show how much things have moved on. Most half decent riders on modern bikes would have no problem on those trails. Although I must admit, wet roots just kill me! I have no idea how to deal with them.

They looked like roadies who had just been handed a mountain bike that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    What impresses me is that the section of trail they're all wiping out on isn't very challenging. Not that I haven't wiped out on easy stuff, espcially when my my body gets stupid from cranial oxygen deprivation - but it looks like none of them has seen a rock or root in the trail before.
    Come on, haven't you ever taken a picture of a gnarly section, then looked at it later and thought, hmmm, that doesn't look so bad. But you know from riding it that it was GTIL (Gnarlier Than It Looks). Plus, they're probably running about 1/4" of front travel.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgrin View Post
    Funny to watch, especially because of the getup some of these guys have on. They look like astronauts!
    I noticed that guy too but I was thinking Storm Trooper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Full DH armour with the seat jacked sky-high is awesome The bikes look so unstable, I can't even figure out what happened to the guy at 4:00.

mtbr member
    That was steep stuff back then. The camera doesn't really show just how steep that first descent montage is. Take a close look at the front wheel dancing around at 2:30 and 2:46.
    Single wall, flexy rims, 1.9" tubed tires, and if you were LUCKY, 80mm of the most high tech elastomer controlled travel. Most forks had 60mm, and were relatively flexy as well. Steering precision was iffy at best. Combine that with the ultimate in cantilever brakes, and those were the true men of mountain biking.

99% of people riding today would run away and cry if they had to do that stuff on those bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZkKE9Z35g
    This one shows a bit more speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Funny though it is to watch, they really were the true men of mountain biking. Imagine them on a current bike ... Oh wait, they would be my age.

mtbr member
    Their outfits crack me up the most. Their riding could probably have been a little better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobraking View Post
    Their outfits crack me up the most. Their riding could probably have been a little better.
    I look at pics of some of the getups I was riding in then and just shake my head. I had these lycra shorts with a 6" pink stripe up each side. Truly horrendous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgrin View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZkKE9Z35g
    This one shows a bit more speed.
    I stick to what I said, they're riding like roadies. Seats jacked up to the sky and staying seated over those chattery trails. Some of them were literally thrown off the bike by relatively tiny bumps.

Makes you wonder how people will view today's clothing eh? ;0)

Mammal
    Jul 2008
    Look at their body position. Every single one of them is way up on the saddle instead of getting behind the saddle, getting low and dropping their heels. Maybe people hadn't figured that out at that time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim(tm) View Post
    Look at their body position. Every single one of them is way up on the saddle instead of getting behind the saddle...
    Yip, they're practically over the bars already!

The thing is, I remember going down steep hills years ago with your belly on the saddle and the back wheel worrying your butt. No one told me to do it, I hadn't read any mags or forums, it just seemed sensible. Maybe these videos only show the idiots, not the hundreds of riders who got round no problem.

It's true about videos making things look easier though. I've seen vids of trails I've ridden and thought, that looks like riding across a lawn, when it wasn't.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    yah, that section would be pretty tricky on a rigid (or 80mm) bike.

Lots of front wheel grabbing drops...that's why so many OTB's

pretty cool vid
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    That's true, their bikes didn't help at all. I remember going OTB on my Stumpjumper a lot. Not sure the last time I went OTB on my Enduro ... it has been a while, at least.

I rode my wife's 2002 GT Avalanche ht (lended both of my full sus bikes to relatives, decided I'd go along with them for the ride anyway) a couple summers ago. It has a suspension fork, but only like 80 mm that was mostly compressed all the time since I'm way too heavy for the stock spring. Rode down an occasionally rocky and long trail (Wasatch Crest in SLC, Utah). Didn't go OTB, but I had some close calls in spots I usually plow through without a second thought. Really sketchy to ride after a few years on a slack 6" AM bike, that's for sure. Made me appreciate how far things have come.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast