Ride Instigator

I can't wait to ride tomorrow!

Haven't ridden in 2 weeks and I need a fix BAD! It was too warm last weekend to ride, the trails would have been all sloppy so I installed new shifters, rear derailleur, cassette and chain so I'm ready to roll. It's going to be around 20F and that's PERFECT winter ridng weather in my book, the ground will be frozen like concrete... I'll just have to remember to keep sucking water outta' my Camalbak so the tube doesn't freeze up!

I can't fu**ing wait

the half breed devil
    good god. i would DIE riding at 20F.

i think the coldest i've ever ridden is the low thirties...or whatever it takes for rare snowfall in san francisco.

happy trails, ricko!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Nice! I haven't done any serious riding in over a month, but I've been staying mostly in shape by riding to class and skiing. But today some of my tools finally arrived, so I'll be able to fix my hub and get riding and training again. It's a shame that the local mountain bike trails are covered in snow and the clay is terrible with snowmelt, so the trails will be a mess probably until mid-spring, but I'll be able to get out on the road bike soon. It's better than nothing.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Nice! I haven't done any serious riding in over a month, but I've been staying mostly in shape by riding to class and skiing. But today some of my tools finally arrived, so I'll be able to fix my hub and get riding and training again. It's a shame that the local mountain bike trails are covered in snow and the clay is terrible with snowmelt, so the trails will be a mess probably until mid-spring, but I'll be able to get out on the road bike soon. It's better than nothing.
    yowza, there is nothing worse than clay-mud! i've experienced it in the west side of the sierra foothills and some places here in the bay area in the spring.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    yowza, there is nothing worse than clay-mud! i've experienced it in the west side of the sierra foothills and some places here in the bay area in the spring.
    Yeah, it's here on the eastern side of the Sierra foothills too. There's not much snow covering the trails, but it's really light and your tires sink right through it if you try to ride. And then the snow melts and creates that horrible mess with the clay. I made the mistake of trying to ride while the trails were still muddy. I only made that mistake once, though.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Downhill fan
    Its been in the 50's and 60's here in NH the last 2 weekends w/ melting snow still on the trails making them a wet muddy mess....I love that chit. The riding in the snow makes strong legs! LOL
    I did a 28 degree ride a few weeks ago with a friend and a 30 degree ride the weekend after. I had the proper gear for cold weather riding but my big toes and fingers (full fingered gloves) were still freezing! I would do it all over again though!
    Today was a 12 miles XC ride in the snowy, wet muddy mess. Felt great to get out after having a ugly cold for 4 weeks.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Socal red clay will suck your bike in and suck all the fun out of riding.

It makes it pretty much impossible a 30lbs bikes doubles in weight in 200 yards.

Never again.